E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Transmission fault 08 535

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
Default Transmission fault 08 535

Ok, I'm out of the country for two weeks and just got a call from my son saying car is not working correctly. He said he went to pull it out of the garage and with all doors fully closed he placed it in reverse and the car backs up about 2-3 feet then feels like its in neutral. The shifter light is still in rev. He placed it in park and tried again, same thing. So he goes to pull it forward and it begins to move but it's very labored, like something is holding it back. Cluster has triangle light and the idrive screen says transmission fault contact dealer...

I've been reading through posts here but couldn't find anything that seems to fit these symptoms. A lot point towards the control module or valvtronic sleeve. When I return on Friday I can check for codes and might have a better idea. Are either of the items a DIY? I know of a really good Indy shop that also does BMW so might just get it towed there. The car just hit 100k so I want to have the fluid changed as well.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:36 AM
pcy
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Tony, if your son has access to basic OBD-II code reader, may be he can connect the OBD code reader and read the codes. Although basic OBD code reader won't give BMW specific codes, at least it might shed some light in the direction of fault.

Are there any trans fluid leaks (on the garage floor)?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Pcy, no leaks on floor that I am aware of, or at least hasn't been any. When I return thr night I'll check to see which codes are stored and post them. From what I've read some common issues are the module and sleeve. I was curious if this a DIY or a Indy type repair. Better yet, I'll just go get me a pair of those glasses!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Tony, it's hard to say what the problem could be without getting the stored fault codes out of the car. When you get back remove the center floor covering and check around the pan and sealing sleeve for leaks. You might just be low on fluid, and those under covers will hide fluid leaks if your not careful.

good luck
Old 03-01-2014, 05:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535xi

I have been having similar problems '08 535xi. Car runs great while driving but sometimes when stopped at a light the trans malfunction light will come on. Othertimes when i put it into reverse sometimes it will seem like car is in neutral and put up the code also or it will just put the car into park and throw the code

Also it had came up and gave me a batter low voltage message in i drive and read else where this could possibly cause it

Just bought the car 2 weeks ago any help would be great

Last edited by rollsdc; 03-01-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by KyleB
Tony, it's hard to say what the problem could be without getting the stored fault codes out of the car. When you get back remove the center floor covering and check around the pan and sealing sleeve for leaks. You might just be low on fluid, and those under covers will hide fluid leaks if your not careful.

good luck
It is unbelievable how much the covering beneath the trans pan retains fluid.

My pan is currently leaking (which I plan to fix next), so I removed that covering and leaned it vertically against the wall to inspect the underside. When I looked at it 10 minutes later, all the fluid that was absorbed into the covering made gravity its new best friend and a huge dirty puddle oozed onto the ground.

I was stunned. If you never change your own oil or go underneath the car, you would never know anything leaks, because those underbody panels retain fluids like a roll of brawny.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dingolfing
It is unbelievable how much the covering beneath the trans pan retains fluid.

My pan is currently leaking (which I plan to fix next), so I removed that covering and leaned it vertically against the wall to inspect the underside. When I looked at it 10 minutes later, all the fluid that was absorbed into the covering made gravity its new best friend and a huge dirty puddle oozed onto the ground.

I was stunned. If you never change your own oil or go underneath the car, you would never know anything leaks, because those underbody panels retain fluids like a roll of brawny.
Yep.

I have the front and center covers removed because I've been doing some work on the car. I'm considering leaving them off for good.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:30 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Not sure you want to leave them off. They do have some role in preventing stuff from getting kicked up and possibly damaging something. They also contribute to better gas mileage. They also keep things cleaner in the engine bay. One thing I do is that whenever I take off the front one (easy) or the rear one (so many fasteners), I degrease them before I put them back on. That way, if I do have a problem, I have some chance of seeing where the fluid originated by looking at the shield.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:55 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by twh
Not sure you want to leave them off. They do have some role in preventing stuff from getting kicked up and possibly damaging something. They also contribute to better gas mileage. They also keep things cleaner in the engine bay. One thing I do is that whenever I take off the front one (easy) or the rear one (so many fasteners), I degrease them before I put them back on. That way, if I do have a problem, I have some chance of seeing where the fluid originated by looking at the shield.
Yea, I've though about that too. What I may end up doing is trimming a couple of 'visual access' openings around the oil and transmissions sumps, just so I can periodically check for leaks without removing them.

You're right about that center one, tons of fasteners!!

Off topic: I lived in NoVA for 20 years, went to GMU, yadda yadda. Moved to FL in 2006.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:31 AM
Senior Members

I've only had the front lower one and the oil access panels off. I know I have a small oil pan leak but have not removed the center one you refer to to check for any tranny leaks. It's due for a change anyway and after I read the codes will decide my next steps. I'm not sure if there is a code for low fluid, this would be great if this turns out to be the problem!

Quick Reply: Transmission fault 08 535