E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPS Codes, Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 04:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, please post your results here so that it can be referenced by others in the future! Glad you are taking it to an Indy as I was in the exact same situation and there was nothing more that I could do to fix mine.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

So just a quick update...my POS car is still experiencing limp mode. I've had the alternator just replaced with a new OEM unit, new registered AGM battery, previously installed a new OEM throttle body, and new wire harness. So $2500 later, the car still is going into limp mode. Cruise along and the throttle just stops responding and slowly but surely, lights pop up on the dash. Dealer and Indy are stumped and suggest DME and engine harness replacement. Basically gonna give up on this car. Good luck to anyone else that can figure out the issue...
Old 01-12-2017, 11:45 PM
BMF
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 535

Originally Posted by Jim165
So just a quick update...my POS car is still experiencing limp mode. I've had the alternator just replaced with a new OEM unit, new registered AGM battery, previously installed a new OEM throttle body, and new wire harness. So $2500 later, the car still is going into limp mode. Cruise along and the throttle just stops responding and slowly but surely, lights pop up on the dash. Dealer and Indy are stumped and suggest DME and engine harness replacement. Basically gonna give up on this car. Good luck to anyone else that can figure out the issue...
None of the repairs should be done unless there is a root cause identified. I'd say find a new Indy who has a lot of experience diagnosing electrical issues.
Old 01-13-2017, 10:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMF
None of the repairs should be done unless there is a root cause identified. I'd say find a new Indy who has a lot of experience diagnosing electrical issues.
those were the repairs completed based on the codes given by the car. As the repairs were completed, those codes no longer appeared and now I'm getting a soft limp mode without a CEL most times....just no throttle response and max RPM at 1300. Restart will clear it. Just yesterday it went into limp with the half engine and DSC fault and as I was pulling over to restart, it cleared. Just random crap.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525xi
Default Limp mode

Hello everyone, I am knew to hear as well my new/used purchase 2006 525xi. 69000 miles know at 70000.I had exactly a month know and I love it. I am the third owner. Except the 20th hour Idrive came on said pullover. Long story short dealer replaced the Tstat and water pump thank goodness for my 60 day 2500 mile warranty. 2nd week in when I would start it the Rpms would go up to 1400rpm then back down to 600rpm, a day or two later service engine soon light came on. This is not my daily driver I am fortunate enough to have company van to take home and a 2006 tundra I've owned since 2008. My performance was not their car didn't feel right sluggish. I brought back to dealer (having had several codes pop up checked by local auto store). Running great know they replaced the dorman variable timing actuator solenoid 1) exhaust bank one, and 2) intake bank 2. I hope this helps anyone with future problems. The dealer only charged me the $100.00 deductible for second problem.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:16 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Jim165

those were the repairs completed based on the codes given by the car. As the repairs were completed, those codes no longer appeared and now I'm getting a soft limp mode without a CEL most times....just no throttle response and max RPM at 1300. Restart will clear it. Just yesterday it went into limp with the half engine and DSC fault and as I was pulling over to restart, it cleared. Just random crap.

Another follow up for future searches....another harness was installed as the one I hacked up during installation and was attempted to be repaired by my Indy was too messed up to reuse. This was why I continued to have problems. He purchased all new harness and nearly rewired the entire throttle wiring. Been running like a champ since last post!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Blue with tan interior. M Package
Model Year: 2008

I have a 2008 E60 550i M sport package as well. 75k mileage. 3 weeks ago the car went weak on the throttle up a hill. Then the dash lit up like Christmas. So I pulled over, turned off the car and waited 10 seconds Problem was fixed. About 1 hour later and 60 miles more, the car went into limp mode. The turn off and start up again didn't work. So I took it to the dealership. They replaced the throttle body and wiring harness and the battery. Problem solved. After 3 weeks the car drives great, but the idle is rough and sputters a lot. Going to check the MAF and clean it. Then check the alternator and go from there.
Old 02-08-2018, 02:00 AM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

You took it to the dealership and you still are troubleshooting. Take it back I guarantee they just replaced parts to get it driving again. Battery and throttle body, does not match what was going on. I would say probably the battery needed to be replaced and if it was the battery they should of tested the alternator charged the battery and probably found out it originated at the alternator. Now you have sputtering meaning they cracked a hose changing the throttle body. Take it back and demand they fix it. If you are having the electrical problem anymore they will refund you and fix the actual issue under goodwill warranty charging you just for the part.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:58 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Blue with tan interior. M Package
Model Year: 2008

Faults 2CF8, 2CF9, AND 2CFA were called up. I had them replace the battery first. But the codes reappeared. They replaced the TB and harness and that made it work. That was at 72406 mileage. I am now at 74,700. I don't feel there sufficient reason to assume their work was wrong.

But the weird idle, which by the way, fixed itself when it got cold last night(below frost warning alarm of 37 degrees). It maintained a constant 700 rpm with little to no fluctuations.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Ok. Know I'm understanding. Did not know you had them change the battery. You might want to check for vacuum leaks. That is what it sounds like to me.