E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM Malfunction error

Old 07-27-2011, 06:28 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 M5

Hi,
Just encountered a "TPM Malfunction" warning/error...

Any idea what may have caused this? First time I ever got it.
I did just change my brakes and rotors (rear) - could there be a connection?

Board Computer says that TPM is "not available" and suggests me to see a $tealer$hip, which I'd like to avoid if possible..! Is there a way I can resolve this error myself?
Just checked tire pressure and it's OK all around (32/36)... Re-starting the engine doesn't do anything either.

Also, I had some water sitting in the spare wheel housing, but there are no openings or holes (solid in 2007 model) so it could not have leaked through. Besides, if that would be the case, more than just TPMS would be shot, right? Seems my battery has suffered slightly, too - but I doubt that replacing it will fix this problem. .. (?) Everything else is working fine.
I did find two other TPMS threads in this Forum, but they didn't really tell me too much new.

Don't think it's the wheel sensors either. Just wondering, where are the receivers located, and could I replace it (them) myself?

BTW, the car is out of (CPO)warranty...

Thanks for your input, advice & advice.
Armin
Old 07-27-2011, 06:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

Interesting that you have TPMS since I was told by my knowledgeable SA that 2008 LCI models were the first to get TPMS with rim mounted sensors. Supposedly earlier cars had FTM using the existing ABS system to determine if one or more tires was turning at a different speed due to variances in air pressure.
That said, your pressures look right to me.
Have you used iDrive to reset the system? Bear in mind that it only resets after it has been driven for approx. 5 minutes.
If you have done everything then I can't offer any help to you. Hopefully others have ideas.
GL
Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
Interesting that you have TPMS since I was told by my knowledgeable SA that 2008 LCI models were the first to get TPMS with rim mounted sensors. Supposedly earlier cars had FTM using the existing ABS system to determine if one or more tires was turning at a different speed due to variances in air pressure.
That said, your pressures look right to me.
Have you used iDrive to reset the system? Bear in mind that it only resets after it has been driven for approx. 5 minutes.
If you have done everything then I can't offer any help to you. Hopefully others have ideas.
GL

Thanks, Gilgorm!
I definitely have TPM (had to buy additional sensors for my winter tires...)

And, resetting doesn't work either - have tried it a dozen times under different conditions.

Anyways, appreciate your advice. - Thanks!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-Tech Sport Package, Carbon Black, Black/Anthracite Bamboo

Had the same problem. Did all the checks you did. Ended up being a transmitter/receiver inside the wheel well. CPO doesn't cover. About $400 parts/labor.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Members

Open the trunk pull out the spare and spare top support and find the TPM and comfort access modules in the styrofoam support.
Unplug the TPM and open it up and remove all corrosion with denatured alcohol and an acid brush. Put it back together. It is probably corroded from water intrusion.
Take both modules and reroute them to the left side of the trunk behind the panel.
Zip tie the wires. Clean up all the water in the bottom of the trunk and get a drill with a small bit.
Look in the trunk pan there are 4 nipples.
Each of those nipples is a spot where you need to drill out some adhesive to let the water drain out of the trunk.
Hold the drill at an angle and drill through the silicone (it should be very easy...do not drill perpendicular through the trunk floor, just drill the silicone).

Put everything back together.
Go inside and let the car shut down. Takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Go back outside and start it up. If it doesn't immediately see the TPM don't worry, it took mine sitting overnight.

If this doesn't fix the TPM, you might need to replace it. The part is $95 and you have to get it programmed.

Good Luck.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Steveo
Open the trunk pull out the spare and spare top support and find the TPM and comfort access modules in the styrofoam support.
Unplug the TPM and open it up and remove all corrosion with denatured alcohol and an acid brush. Put it back together. It is probably corroded from water intrusion.
Take both modules and reroute them to the left side of the trunk behind the panel.
Zip tie the wires. [... ]
DANG!!! I think you hit the nail on the head, Steveo... -- THANK YOU!!!

Now I finally know what that little grey box (attached to a wire harness) was that I pulled out of the flooded spare wheel well... [@$##;%!? ##!!!!!!]
And I - clueless as I was (am) - thought it belongs to radio or antennae!

That explains everything... Guess I will try the 'alcohol cleansing' next.
I did already dry & reconnect it, but that was, apparently, not enough.

You're awesome, Steveo... Thanks! ;-)

P. S. :
Actually.... THIS ENTIRE FORUM IS AWESOME!!
I'm really glad so many really knowledgeable folks are willing to share their experiences/misfortunes, so the rest of us can learn from it. - Thank you, all!!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by shumaki
Had the same problem. Did all the checks you did. Ended up being a transmitter/receiver inside the wheel well. CPO doesn't cover. About $400 parts/labor.
Thanks for your suggestion, Shumaki!
Hope that's not the problem also in my case...

But, it might just be the same thing Steveo (see above) told me about.

Thanks much for sharing!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:15 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ZGERMAN
DANG!!! I think you hit the nail on the head, Steveo... -- THANK YOU!!!

Now I finally know what that little grey box (attached to a wire harness) was that I pulled out of the flooded spare wheel well... [@$##;%!? ##!!!!!!]
And I - clueless as I was (am) - thought it belongs to radio or antennae!

That explains everything... Guess I will try the 'alcohol cleansing' next.
I did already dry & reconnect it, but that was, apparently, not enough.

You're awesome, Steveo... Thanks! ;-)

P. S. :
Actually.... THIS ENTIRE FORUM IS AWESOME!!
I'm really glad so many really knowledgeable folks are willing to share their experiences/misfortunes, so the rest of us can learn from it. - Thank you, all!!
This (see little box sitting on the edge..) look familiar?? LOL..

Thanks, again, guys!
Armin
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

why didn't BMW locate this in wheels wells? I wonder if there is a specific reason why BMW placed that module under the spare tire in a styrofoam cushion.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Members

I also had the same message come up on my iDrive. But in my case it turned out to be one of the sensors mounted on the wheel. To replace it I ended up buying the part and taking the car to a tire shop. They needed to unmount the tire in order to get access.

Also, I never had any water in my trunk. Your problem maybe related to water.

Good luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPM Malfunction error