E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Weird whining/whirring sound coming from oil filter housing? M54 with 150k

Old 03-13-2017, 09:11 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M-Sport
Default Weird whining/whirring sound coming from oil filter housing? M54 with 150k

Hey guys -- I'm trying to tackle this sound coming from my oil filter housing gasket. Using the long screwdriver and listening trick, the sound seems to be coming from the OFH. Although, it does sound like a bearing of some sort... Some people said certain branded filters gets messed up/distorted causing a weird suctioning sound. The filter looked fine, but I replaced it anyway... Sound still remains.

Here is a video of the sound --

I'm going to be replacing belts since they're starting to crack. While doing this I'll be checking any of the pulleys to see if they're acting funny. Any other places to look? Anyone familiar with this noise?
Old 03-14-2017, 11:25 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M-Sport

Is there anything spinning or moving in the oil filter housing? Somebody in a thread on a different forum talked about how he identified what looked like a "ball bearing" down the long tube. He used a 'wire' to stick down there, and sort of knudged it back in to place?

I also want to add -- the sound gets worse when put into reverse, or drive. It quiets down a bit in neutral.

Search this Thread