E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

TPM Malfunction - advice.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by androulakis
Did you have to have it programmed or coded at the dealer or did the car just figure it out? Did you have to teach it the sensors? My range rover just figured it out when I swapped wheels (I bought used ones that had the TPMS valves in them). I think I can program the sensors via my Snap-On Verdict Scanner. Also my car has a donut spare, AND runflats, but the spare has a rubber valve stem, NOT a TPMS valve. Is this the way yours is too?
No programming George, just plugged it in and did a TPMS reset from iDrive. Yes, the donut does not have a TPMS sensor - when you are driving on the donut, you will continue to get the TPMS error. Seems like the cars were designed to not make us forget that we had a donut on.

Don't forget to check what caused the flooding in the first place. There was a thread here several months ago about how to fix, challenges etc so feel free to search.
Old 08-02-2012, 05:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport

Originally Posted by Gee_115
I replaced mine with a brand new one, works fine I didn't do any coding/programming. You have to drive the car to reset it.
Perfect. Thanks guys!

I'll let you know when the module comes in and I get everything sorted.

Take care,

George
Old 08-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Same happened to me about 2 years ago. Brought it in to dealer and they said trunk seals letting in water. Replaced modules and probably put a few pieces of semi-chewed gum in between the rubber seals

Also remember seeing a thread here about remounting modules so they won't float around in a puddle if ever your trunk floods again
Old 08-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Members

hey guys! Does anyone have pictures of the location of the module? I'm going through the same issue and I almost bought a set of new sensors for the car. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Sport

Pull out the trunk floor, undo the nut for the spare, pull out the foam that holds the jack and the tire. You will see a flat piece of foam. Pull that out and the modules are under there. The TPMS module is a light grey box with a white harness going to it, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It says RDC on it.

There are two clips underneath the top of the label, then the top hinges open and you can see the inside of the circuit board.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before plugging / unplugging.

Take care,

George
Old 08-13-2012, 03:16 AM
Members

Originally Posted by androulakis
Pull out the trunk floor, undo the nut for the spare, pull out the foam that holds the jack and the tire. You will see a flat piece of foam. Pull that out and the modules are under there. The TPMS module is a light grey box with a white harness going to it, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. It says RDC on it.

There are two clips underneath the top of the label, then the top hinges open and you can see the inside of the circuit board.

Make sure you disconnect the battery before plugging / unplugging.

Take care,

George
Thanks George!!!! I'll see if I can post pictures to make this process a bit easier for fellow members. It seems that its a common issue.
Old 03-29-2015, 12:34 PM
New Members

My Ride: 05 bmw 525i

I need some help I am having the same issue it is telling me my rdc control module failure but I can not find it, I search under the spear tire and I found only the mpm (micro power module) that has a little water stains on it. P.s I have the rdc module with out the valve sensors, I think it works with the abs and wheel speed. I only need to find where the rdc box is so I can know which one to order and I have a right hand drive 05 525i
Old 03-29-2015, 02:04 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

What model and year do you have?

What is the exact message you are getting?

RDC is only for car that have direct TPMS.
FTM is for cars that use the ABS sensors to calculate the relative tire rotation information.

For most cars, if you see a rubber valve stem, you have the older FTM and not TPMS.
Old 03-30-2015, 01:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05 bmw 525i

Originally Posted by twh
What model and year do you have?

What is the exact message you are getting?

RDC is only for car that have direct TPMS.
FTM is for cars that use the ABS sensors to calculate the relative tire rotation information.

For most cars, if you see a rubber valve stem, you have the older FTM and not TPMS.
I have 05 525i European model and it's saying rdc control module failure it's also giving me a a3c3 error code. I have the rubber valve stems, I just can't find the location of the rdc controller box so I can buy a new one an swap it out. An yes I do think I have the ftm model because I have no sensors in the tires when I had it check to the tire shop my question is where is the module I need to change out or to I replace the mpm (micro power module) under the spear tire where I read the rdc suppose to be.

Last edited by smileydawg; 03-30-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2015, 05:25 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

RDC is in the spare tire foam. I don't think you have one. Something else is happening.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TPM Malfunction - advice.