E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Ticking lifters.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by leese8080
Yes. I dropped it off at 7am yesterday and was done at 9am today. Perhaps they had the parts readily available and not too busy.

Hope you get yours back soon. I'll be picking up mine after work and look forward to see if my car performs better - I've heard it feels smoother after the lifter replacement reading from other posts.

After all, we are lucky that we have warranty.

Did they do an oil change with this replacement?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20 AM
Members

Originally Posted by leese8080
Yes. I dropped it off at 7am yesterday and was done at 9am today. Perhaps they had the parts readily available and not too busy.

Hope you get yours back soon. I'll be picking up mine after work and look forward to see if my car performs better - I've heard it feels smoother after the lifter replacement reading from other posts.

After all, we are lucky that we have warranty.

Leese - Did you get your car back? Did it fix the problem with the ticking? Did they include oil change? My car is STILL in the shop since last Thursday. Should I be worried?
Old 06-07-2012, 10:17 PM
Members

Update: my sa called me today. Said adter they replaced the lifters, still made a soft ticking noise. Said they pinpointed it to a possible bad lifter that got put in. So they are gonna replace that one bad lifter and HOPEFULLY all will be well. Starting to get suspicious. Does that sound right? I wont be surprised if they call me tomorrow with more agonizing news. But like leese told me, i guess i should happy that they are working on the issue.
Old 06-08-2012, 03:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by deltabox
Does that sound right?
nope, sounds like you need a cylinder head.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Members

Update: got my car back yesterday. Sa told me its all good to go. I started her up this morning and no ticking. Im so happy. They didnt replace the head cover, just the lifters.

I do notice a difference in idle now. Before when i would start her up in the mornings, the engine would be kinda loud intil she got to op temp. Now shes alot quieter and doesnt take as long for the idle to start dropping to normal idle speed.

As for my recall problem, they didnt swap anything out, just says they performed visual inspection and applied some greaase.

They recommended that i bring her back for 60k service which is power steering flush, feul injection clean, throttle body service, alignment, rotate and balance. Yeah right. Ill be out of maintenance in another 1k miles.

Ps. Yes, they washed my car for me too.
Old 06-11-2012, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by deltabox
Ps. Yes, they washed my car for me too.
You didn't tell them not to? I read on here not too long ago another member had his washed and they dented/scraped/scratched his car pulling in or out of the car wash. LOL
Old 06-12-2012, 09:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
You didn't tell them not to? I read on here not too long ago another member had his washed and they dented/scraped/scratched his car pulling in or out of the car wash. LOL

Are you serious? I guess I got lucky this time. I didn't notice any NEW scratches on my car. Will remember this next time I bring her in.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Yea bro not kidding. For some reason dealers are infamous for this (scratches) I have no idea why their machines differ from others but apparently they do. My local dealership actually washes all cars by hand so i don't put up a fight. Honestly even if they get a machine I wouldn't mind because I bet they'll have one of the best machines around. They have about 8 high end dealerships locally and they're pretty courteous and professional and to me that says loads. Plus I don't really worry about stuff like that. I mean unless my paint was BRAND new. I would try to preserve it as long as I can but as soon as a ding happens or a chip the car looses "protective custody" lol
Old 06-13-2012, 01:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i Sport 1998 M3

Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but people are aware that injectors can sometimes start to make noise that sounds like a faulty lifter, right?
Old 06-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Stephen Max
Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but people are aware that injectors can sometimes start to make noise that sounds like a faulty lifter, right?
After reading thru many posts about these lifters, I got alot of different answers. The posts ranged between the "noise being totally normal" to "the noise causing serious damage in the long run". I had only brought it in for the recall and mentioned the noise in passing to my SA.

He called back and told me that they are going to swap out the lifters. If he had told me that it's normal, I probably would have accepted that and been on my way. But since he offered to swap them out FOR FREE, I said, "Why not?" Wouldn't cost me a dime and if the noise is gone, then even better.

Even if the ticking is normal, at best then, I don't have to hear the annoying and "embarassing" sound anymore.

Quick Reply: Ticking lifters.