E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Thinking about pulling the trigger on Dinan Stage II ...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Car

They didn't mention the cause but I've read about 2 or 3 occurrences with our engines elsewhere. The scoop is RPI - I felt a small difference when I originally installed it. That was prior to the tune though.

Temperamental turbo engines - I'm on my 3rd HPFP, had 3 injectors replaced, and had both turbo units replaced due to waste gate issues. I swear I had zero issues until I finally decided to do the open campaign software update prior to the 1st HPFP swap. I refused it for months then my wife finally talked me into getting it done. I firmly believe had I kept everything as-is I would not have had any issues. It all started from that software update.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 535xiT - Sapphire Black / Beige

I hear ya, low pressure pump, high pressure pump twice, all 6 injectors, twice...but when it does run its a blast.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by corey
They didn't mention the cause but I've read about 2 or 3 occurrences with our engines elsewhere. The scoop is RPI - I felt a small difference when I originally installed it. That was prior to the tune though.

Temperamental turbo engines - I'm on my 3rd HPFP, had 3 injectors replaced, and had both turbo units replaced due to waste gate issues. I swear I had zero issues until I finally decided to do the open campaign software update prior to the 1st HPFP swap. I refused it for months then my wife finally talked me into getting it done. I firmly believe had I kept everything as-is I would not have had any issues. It all started from that software update.
I had the update done a few weeks after bought the car. They replaced the HPFP and did the software update and checked the injectors. The update fried my instrument cluster and the motors for the steering wheel adjustments which the replaced. I haven't had any issues since.....sure hope it stays that way

Old 07-15-2011, 02:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the software update messes with the settings of original OEM settings, but I thought getting a tune reverts the software update to the tune settings. Am I missing something here or does the software update still change settings that a tune won't fix either way.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by crypto
It seems there was a permanent price drop of the Dinan Stage II for the 535's. It's now holding steady at $1799. According to Dinan it will no longer go on sale for 20% off (at least not for a while). You can probably get it a little bit cheaper if you finagle it with the dealer/installer (to get closer to ~1750-1760 price at least). Question to anyone that's purchased it... have you got this for a good deal cheaper or is this about what you paid (assuming 20% off sale from the former $2199 price)?

I've never heard anything bad about the Dinan ECU flashes other than price. It's obviously a lot more expensive than the JB3/JB4, Cobb AccessPORT, and a few others, but I have a ton of warranty left on my car and really want that piece of mind that comes with the Dinan flash. It seems they put in a lot of time engineering their solution so it puts out a lot of performance and really shouldn't ever cause anything to go wrong with your car.. and if it does they will take care of it as long as you're within their warranty constraints.

With that said and my reasoning does anyone see a reason not to go with the Dinan Stage II? Is there some sort of other solution now that will do a matching warranty type deal?
I bought a 2009 535i a few weeks ago with plenty of factory warranty left and just did the Dinan stage 2 software upgrade for $1,799. What an amazing difference. Turned the car into a jet. Massive acceleration improvement with torque that really pulls you back in your seat. I haven't timed 0-60 yet, but it feels below 5 sec. Got rid of many of the rough gear changes i had with the factory settings post HPFP repairs, though still not as smooth as it should be - gonna have dealer see what they can do about that, which is the other nice thing because my BMW dealer says they talk directly with Dinan's technical people to troubleshoot any issues. You can tell it is made for the car and won't have to worry about warranty being voided. I drive it in manual mode most of the time now but drive sport is also fun. In regular drive it largely retains that civil ride. Other brands may claim more HP or torque, but I can't imagine getting much better explosion from these turbos than what the Dinan 2 does. Do it and you'll be thrilled you did.
Old 07-23-2011, 12:02 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AudiR8Dreamer
I bought a 2009 535i a few weeks ago with plenty of factory warranty left and just did the Dinan stage 2 software upgrade for $1,799. What an amazing difference. Turned the car into a jet. Massive acceleration improvement with torque that really pulls you back in your seat. I haven't timed 0-60 yet, but it feels below 5 sec. Got rid of many of the rough gear changes i had with the factory settings post HPFP repairs, though still not as smooth as it should be - gonna have dealer see what they can do about that, which is the other nice thing because my BMW dealer says they talk directly with Dinan's technical people to troubleshoot any issues. You can tell it is made for the car and won't have to worry about warranty being voided. I drive it in manual mode most of the time now but drive sport is also fun. In regular drive it largely retains that civil ride. Other brands may claim more HP or torque, but I can't imagine getting much better explosion from these turbos than what the Dinan 2 does. Do it and you'll be thrilled you did.
Do you work for Dinan? lol jk
Old 07-23-2011, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
Do you work for Dinan? lol jk
hah if he said something like "at only $1799 it was a steal. I would have paid $5,000 for this upgrade." then we'd definitely know something is up.

With that said I am likely to be scheduling my flash next week. I've been convincing myself to do the exhaust at the same time. We'll see what I come up with.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2011

It seems there was a permanent price drop of the Dinan Stage II for the 535's. It's now holding steady at $1799. According to Dinan it will no longer go on sale for 20% off (at least not for a while). You can probably get it a little bit cheaper if you finagle it with the dealer/installer (to get closer to ~1750-1760 price at least). Question to anyone that's purchased it... have you got this for a good deal cheaper or is this about what you paid (assuming 20% off sale from the former $2199 price)?

I've never heard anything bad about the Dinan ECU flashes other than price. It's obviously a lot more expensive than the JB3/JB4, Cobb AccessPORT, and a few others, but I have a ton of warranty left on my car and really want that piece of mind that comes with the Dinan flash. It seems they put in a lot of time engineering their solution so it puts out a lot of performance and really shouldn't ever cause anything to go wrong with your car.. and if it does they will take care of it as long as you're within their warranty constraints.

With that said and my reasoning does anyone see a reason not to go with the Dinan Stage II? Is there some sort of other solution now that will do a matching warranty type deal?
Dinan is a great choice if you are still under Factory Warranty. I bought the Cobb AP for around 800.00 and now I love my car even more than before. Mine is an early 2008 and will be out of warranty soon so I decided on the Cobb. Dinan's warranty ends the day the car is out of Factory Warranty. The thing I don't like about Dinan is that you can't reflash it yourself and it costs something like 150.00 every time you reflash. I can do that myself from the drivers seat in 10 minutes and it leaves no codes. The performance of the Stage 1 Cobb and Dinan Stage II are very similar except Cobb delivers more boost after 5500 rpm and will pull harder at top end. My car can pull a plough it has so much torque with the Cobb. As far as exhaust, don't waste your money if you are doing it for a perfomance gain. There is very little gain, but if you want it for looks and sound, go for it. I just don't think it's worth the money. I opened up the butterfly on my exhaust and it does sound a little louder but it's still quiet as hell. It's not that important to me, I guess.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about pulling the trigger on Dinan Stage II ...-p1010881.jpg  
Old 07-23-2011, 07:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by HP JNKEY
Dinan is a great choice if you are still under Factory Warranty. I bought the Cobb AP for around 800.00 and now I love my car even more than before. Mine is an early 2008 and will be out of warranty soon so I decided on the Cobb. Dinan's warranty ends the day the car is out of Factory Warranty. The thing I don't like about Dinan is that you can't reflash it yourself and it costs something like 150.00 every time you reflash. I can do that myself from the drivers seat in 10 minutes and it leaves no codes. The performance of the Stage 1 Cobb and Dinan Stage II are very similar except Cobb delivers more boost after 5500 rpm and will pull harder at top end. My car can pull a plough it has so much torque with the Cobb. As far as exhaust, don't waste your money if you are doing it for a perfomance gain. There is very little gain, but if you want it for looks and sound, go for it. I just don't think it's worth the money. I opened up the butterfly on my exhaust and it does sound a little louder but it's still quiet as hell. It's not that important to me, I guess.

This was actually one of my only remaining questions about this whole process -- was if it has to be reflashed for some reason. If I do some sort of work that requires the ECU to be messed with -- do I have to pay to put Dinan back on? Can't they just work with that from the start? I'd be doing my work at Dinan authorized BMW dealerships (two around here).

Question though is.. are you able to clone or copy an existing ECU flash? I ask this because doesn't the Cobb keep track of your factory flash and return it when you use it? What if you plug a Cobb AccessPORT into your Dinan flashed ECU.. would it suck off the Dinan settings some how so that could be "put back on" ? I really have no idea how that works or if I'm in another galaxy of understanding with that.

I'm with you on the exhaust part. I know it will add a little but not much but will look a bit nicer and sound great. From my research it's one of the nicest sounding ones without getting annoying at any point (droning sound).
Old 07-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i
Model Year: 2011

This was actually one of my only remaining questions about this whole process -- was if it has to be reflashed for some reason. If I do some sort of work that requires the ECU to be messed with -- do I have to pay to put Dinan back on? Can't they just work with that from the start? I'd be doing my work at Dinan authorized BMW dealerships (two around here).

Question though is.. are you able to clone or copy an existing ECU flash? I ask this because doesn't the Cobb keep track of your factory flash and return it when you use it? What if you plug a Cobb AccessPORT into your Dinan flashed ECU.. would it suck off the Dinan settings some how so that could be "put back on" ? I really have no idea how that works or if I'm in another galaxy of understanding with that.

I'm with you on the exhaust part. I know it will add a little but not much but will look a bit nicer and sound great. From my research it's one of the nicest sounding ones without getting annoying at any point (droning sound).
Ask the autorized dealer if they charge to reflash the car if it needs some sort of service, recall or update. They might not charge for that if they sold you the tune.
Cobb does store the stock tune when it you load the performance tune into you car. You can also change Maps [ tunes ] from you access port. If you wanna go on a long road trip and you want your best gas mileage, you can switch from Stage 1 to Stock. It only takes a minute of 2. I run the 91 Octane tune cause we can only get 91 octane fuels down here. Cobb also has a 93 octane tune which will boost the power even more but I've heard that the gas mileage does drop with this more aggresive tune. I went to Orange County and back to San Diego and got 27.4 mpg on that trip. It was about 175 miles with maybe 35 miles city driving. This was with Stage 1 91 Octane tune. I'm happy with that. If you have the Dinan installed, I would not try to install a Cobb tune as well. Not sure what would happen. Call Cobb for an answer. Good bunch of guys.
I like that the car is quiet with no drone. If I want loud, I take the vette for a run. It's got longtube headers and the NPP butterfly exhaust valves, so when they are opened, it's nasty loud.
I love these 2 cars.
Attached Thumbnails Thinking about pulling the trigger on Dinan Stage II ...-p1010555.jpg   Thinking about pulling the trigger on Dinan Stage II ...-p1010568.jpg  

Quick Reply: Thinking about pulling the trigger on Dinan Stage II ...