Go Back   5Series.net - Forums > E60 5 Series (2004 - 2010) > E60 Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
New Members

I have a 2008 528xi with about 55K miles. Just recently I started to see malfunction on the idrive come in intermittently for right tail light, reverse light and/or brake light - all for the right side. It will show the error and then go away the next time I would turn the car on. Has anyone else encountered this problem.
Sorry, if this has been addressed earlier, I just signed in for the membership a few hours back.
Thanks
amitkumarbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Members

Send a message via Skype™ to Only Bimmers

The electronics part of it is easily removed for inspection. You don't need to pull the entire light. Unplug the connector, and there are 2 tabs you press while wiggling toward the front of the car. Inspect each socket and the connector. CRC sells an electrical contact cleaner that is great for this.

If yours is bad, message me. I just bought a light that comes with the extra electronic part. Just cover the shipping and its yours free. Contact me at Support@BimmerToolRental.com or here if you have any questions on this.
Only Bimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 AM   #3
pcy
Senior Members

Swap the offending bulb to the other side and see if the error message 'walks' to the other side. If so, replace the bulb.
pcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Members

I had the exact same problem so i replaced two bulbs but it didn't help. The dealership replaced the entire tail light under the cpo warranty.
onetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Senior Members

The connection plug and the socket it plugs into needs to be inspected also - not just the bulbs especially if the idrive warning is multiple bulbs - like reverse light warning, turn signal warning, etc.

This wire harness will overheat the socket and melt the plug and eat up the connecting pin from electrical arching. Mine is going in on Tue for CPO replacement.

2008 535xi
:
Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT Radio,
Custom NCS coded options, PROcede with Meth Injection, CIC iDrive Controller, M5 Pull Rods, M5 Rear Sway Bar, UR Front/Rear Lower Bars/Shock Tower Bar,
Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci, HD Radio Retrofit, Shock Sensor Alarm, Sport Automatic Retrofit, Bag Hooks, Fire Extinguisher, Active Backrest Retrofit

In progress: miDrive
NoQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
New Members

Make sure you check for a burned plug. Happened to mine and seems to be a problem for some. 09' 535i
Duperstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 PM   #7
New Members

Thanks for all who responded, opened the panel, and saw that the wire #5 had melted the connector and the bulb carrier, called the dealer, they have the parts for $5 and $50 respectively. Will get them shortly and replace them.
Dealer told me that they have not seen this problem with other 5-series, however the 3-series have a recall for this issue.
amitkumarbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #8
Members

Many of us have faced this problem: http://forums.5series.net/e60-discus...-117069/page2/, http://forums.5series.net/e60-discus...-issue-121394/
It's a design bug...
C_o_s_m_i_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
Vendor - Legacy

Location: ///Motorcepts 126-10 89th Avenue, Richmond Hill, NY 11418 347-644-5363

Most of the time , it is the ground wire that is burnt. Can be easily repaired by buying the taillight retrofit cable for cheap and solder the wires urself. I highly recommend everyone with lci tails to check their plugs once every 2 weeks. If it burns through the bulb holder, u will need a new one which is costly

Motorcepts Temporary Product Line. Stay Tuned For MORE Performance and Lighting Parts!!!

LCI HID Angel Eyes - $230 shipped: Click Me!!!
HID Reverse Lights - $200 shipped: Click Me!!!
D1S ($120) or D2S ($80) upgrade bulbs for Low Beam Bi-xenons: Click Me!!!
HID Conversion Kits For Fogs, Low Beams, and High Beam - $160 shipped: Click Me!!!
Sprint Booster V2 - $300 shipped: Click Me!!!
Stick & Sigs Package Deal - $85 shipped: Click Me!!!
MTEC V2 Pre-LCI Angel Eyes SPECIAL! - $130 shipped: Click Me!!!
MTEC License Plate Lamps - $75 shipped: Click Me!!!
RDash License Plate Lamps - $55 shipped: Click Me!!!
License Plate Replacement LEDs - $35 shipped: Click Me!!!
Interior LEDs $100, Super LED Interiors $150, Ultimate LED Interiors $200: Click Me!!!

Motorcepts Phone Number 347-644-5363. Personal Cell Phone at 347-788-8681 for inquiries. No unknown calls. I do not answer them. Thank you!
John@Motorcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #10
Members

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n View Post
Yup, happened to me. Replaced the part on my own. No need to take it to the dealership.
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM