E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering wheel shakes under braking even with new rotors

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i
Default Steering wheel shakes under braking even with new rotors

Hey guys i have a 2006 530i with 93k on it. I started to notice the steering wheel shaking when braking. Not all the time though. Just figured it was warped rotors so I bought a new set of Brembo rotors and pads. Still does the same thing just like before. It will shake the steering wheel side to side. strange it doesn't do it all the time though. I was just reading that the upper control arms can cause this as well if they are worn. i just went out and jacked up the one side of the car and pulled on the tire and it did see a bit of play on the end that bolts to the frame that has the big rubber bushing in it. If that has any movement at all can that possible cause this?
Old 09-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 BMW 550i M Sport. GPS, Satallite, Active suspension, Silver over Black in color with beige. 68k on the clock. My 10th BMW in forty years.
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 550 Msport

Tire balance is both static and dynamic. Static imbalance will make the wheel move up and down While dynamic moves from side to side

Dynamic can be caused by a wheel that is not dynamically balanced by having weights to offset a wheel that is bent or has a "heavy area" cast into it.

You have replaced and balanced the offending wheels so that's out. But, are they true. My guess, however, is that you are losing a radius rod bushing in the front end. A cursory way to check is having drive the car at 2 to 3 MPH and pump the brakes while you watch to see if the wheels are moving slightly fwd and towing out The movement on the towing out may only be an 1 to 1.5 inches.
while normally driving, the shaking may not always be present but can occur when a wheel hits a bump or you were a little more aggressive at braking

Why do I thing so? Been there
Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530i

I went and bought the new control arms. I figured with my mileage and I did have a bit of movement that they are most likely worn. It's funny because today I drove it about 150 miles and it only did the steering wheel shake a few times and that was all. Here is a pic of the one like I ordered. Hope these are the arms that cause the problem.

Name:  sd0750-bmw-e39-front-control-arm-set-oem-530i-525i-528i-31121141717-31121141718_zps5w2b.jpg
Views: 4522
Size:  63.2 KB
Old 09-10-2016, 04:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by mvvette97
I went and bought the new control arms. I figured with my mileage and I did have a bit of movement that they are most likely worn. It's funny because today I drove it about 150 miles and it only did the steering wheel shake a few times and that was all. Here is a pic of the one like I ordered. Hope these are the arms that cause the problem.
Did you buy new or used parts?
Old 09-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 530Xi
Model Year: 2006

My 530 Xi had the same symptom shaking when braking couple years back after a brake job. Did replaced the rotors without any improvement. Ended up replaced the both front calipers and problem solved. My suspect was the guide pins in one of the brake caliper got bend when they were removed by an unfamiliar e60 tech. You can try and replace the guide pins or replace the whole calipers assembly. A bend guide pin can cause the piston not retract and expand properly when brake is applied. One wheel is braking and the other is not.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:29 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

[QUOTE=mvvette97;1581984Here is a pic of the one like I ordered. Hope these are the arms that cause the problem.
[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking and hoping that this was only a representative picture of the control arms that he purchased.

Question for the OP, did you get the full control arm with all the bushings? I had a little shake a while back and the bushings on my CAs were bad. the indy was able to press out the bushing and replace the bushing only. without a press to get out the old bushing, apparently it's easier just to replace the whole CA.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:47 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by quanger
My 530 Xi had the same symptom shaking when braking couple years back after a brake job. Did replaced the rotors without any improvement. Ended up replaced the both front calipers and problem solved. My suspect was the guide pins in one of the brake caliper got bend when they were removed by an unfamiliar e60 tech. You can try and replace the guide pins or replace the whole calipers assembly. A bend guide pin can cause the piston not retract and expand properly when brake is applied. One wheel is braking and the other is not.
Have you looked at one of the guide pins up close. They are substantial. They would be really hard to bend. Something else was wrong, IMO.
Old 09-11-2016, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by twh
Have you looked at one of the guide pins up close. They are substantial. They would be really hard to bend. Something else was wrong, IMO.
+1

They are definitely hard to bend. Some replace them on every change which I think the manual says to do. At a minimum they need to be greased on every brake change. That is with any car
Old 09-11-2016, 07:44 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 525i
Model Year: 206

Youre spot on. I had the same problem and replacing the control arm, tension strut cures it all
Old 09-14-2016, 05:45 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 Silverstone M5

Just chiming in. I have a lot of vibration in the wheel under braking and at speeds above 70MPH. Brand new tires, wheels are balanced, I was going to look into the brakes, next, since I know the pads are getting close.

Last time I lifted the car up to change the oil, I noticed that if I spin the passenger wheel, it will keep going for a good 2+ minutes. If I spin the driver's wheel, it won't make it past 2-3 rotations. This tells me, either my brakes are dragging (caliper pin) or my bearing is shot.

I've done a touch test to check if one brake was hotter than the other after a drive, it didn't feel like one was hotter than the other, but I should've checked with the IR. If a brake caliper is dragging bad, you will definitely see a brake temperature difference after a light spin around the block.

Quick Reply: Steering wheel shakes under braking even with new rotors