E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering pulsating when stationary or at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Question Steering pulsating when stationary or at low speeds

Hi guys

I have a 2008 530i MSport with a weird problem. The steering wheel is pulsating in my hands when the car is stationary at the lights or stop signs, or when driving at low speeds in traffic (maybe up to 30kph).

When I bought the car the dealer said they have changed an active steering sensor. Also when I first saw the car it had the active steering light on the dashboard and an error on the screen. They said it was related to the battery being low, which it was because the screen showed a battery error too. They changed the battery, reactivated the systems and both the power steering error and battery error went away for good.

However the pulsating steering issue remained. I've taken the car elsewhere to get it checked out and they think it it still a battery issue. The "new" battery the dealer installed seems to be not so new.

Before I go and buy a new battery, I just wanted to ask if anyone else had this issue. To me it seems weird why it would be an electrical issue when the car is driven daily for around 50-70kms between stops, so the battery would have plenty of time to charge. Could it be a power steering pump?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by alienintelligence; 08-26-2015 at 07:39 AM.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:27 PM
New Members

My Ride: '08 528xi

It could be the power steering pump. However, I would also check to see if your belt tensioner is showing signs of wear. I just had my tensioner replaced as it was allowing slack to build up in the belt, which drives the alternator and power steering. I was noticing the wheel "jiggling" at low speeds when I cut it all the way left or right. With the new tensioner and belt, it seems to have gone away. My car has 64.5k miles on it for reference.

It also could not be related to the tensioner, but just sharing my experience
Old 08-29-2015, 08:52 AM
New Members

Thank you for your reply mate. I'll check that tomorrow for sure. One thing I did notice today was the fluid in the reservoir was a bit low. So I got the correct top-up fluid and added that. Then I read somewhere that the system will automatically bleed itself if you turn the wheels to full lock each side a few times. I've done that then rechecked the fluid and noticed it was a bit low again. Topped it up once more and I've redone the "bleed" full lock thing. Checked the level again and it was fine after that. Now the steering wheel pulse is very faint, happened only once today but I could barely feel it. I'll check gain the fluid tomorrow when I'll have a look at that belt. Cheers
Old 09-07-2015, 12:09 AM
New Members

Default Still happening

Yeah... still happening and the fluid is now at a good level... any other thoughts guys? Should I go down the path of getting a new battery? Has anyone replaced a power steering pump in these things?