E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steering angle reads -1480, SAS changed

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 02:10 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 89' E30 Coupe, 07' E90 330xi, 07' E60 530i
Default Steering angle reads -1480, SAS changed

Hello,

I have run into a problem, but let me start from the story of the problem.

I had to take the front panel, whole interior, modules out. I drove the car without anything connected, just the speedometer and it did not show any errors. I got the car back together, all the interior, panel back in, started to drive and I get a "brake" light on the dash and the DTC is turned off automatically, so DTC light as well. And I get drive moderately message on the screen. So next morning I tried to have a look at what is going on and I saw that the steering angle shows -70 while the wheel is at center. I checked the steering angle sensor connector, my first idea was that it had fallen out, because it was broken, note that while trying to do that the battery died. I hooked up a charger and continued my work, once I checked the steering angle sensor I assembled everything and checked again and tried to launch a steering angle sensor calibration operation on autocom, battery died again or it was more or less dead, anyway it did not let me to do it as I have ACTIVE STEERING. After all this I check again and got 5EBA error code, and the steering wheel angle shows -1480 degrees and its dead.

I scratched my head and got a second hand steering angle sensor, put it in, and get the same -1480 degrees.

To summarize at first the sensor was still working just the calibration was wrong, but after some battery problems and trying to fix the connector it stopped working.

My question is could it be that the module failed? Could it deprogram it self from the ECU? What else could have happened?

Any help would be appreciated!

Tomas
Old 10-23-2016, 03:12 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Hope you have acces to DIS 5.7 then you can try a SAS Calibration procedure, that might set everything ok for you, or at least diagnose what is broken.