E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Steaming engine but no overheat

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i xdrive
Model Year: 2010

Could also be coolant. Recently saw the steam you are talking about, brushed it off, got the low coolant light. Topped off the coolant a few days ago, low coolant light came back yesterday. Traced the coolant line and small leak found by a clip.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:24 AM
New Members

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My Ride: 535xi
Model Year: 2008

Well, did some dissassembly yesterday. Radiator has a hole down near the lower hose connection on the passenger side. Not a big hole, but a hole.

Since I'm not working right now and have the time, I'm going to do the replacement myself along with replacing the water pump and thermostat. (Oh joy...). I purchased the pump and thermostat a few years ago from ECS (OEM parts) so at least I don't have to buy them now. Funny thing: all the comments on WP replacement say you need 3 new aluminium bolts. ECS supplied new bolts but they're steel. WTF?

Also, while removing the top cover from the radiator, the hose that goes from the expansion tank and across to the upper rad hose snapped when I tried to gently unclip it from the housing. The plastic pipe is so brittle I can break it like a strand of dry pasta. Rather than buy an entire new hose, I'm thinking I can just replace the 1 foot long plastic bit in the middle - suggestions on material? I have some copper tubing that would fit...

Stealer wants C$784 for a rad. Aftermarket rad is C$380. Behr OEM is the same price as stealer from my local parts place. I hate putting non-OEM bits on my BMW, but C$400 is a lot of dollars for that ethic.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:41 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i

Originally Posted by audiophool
Stealer wants C$784 for a rad. Aftermarket rad is C$380. Behr OEM is the same price as stealer from my local parts place. I hate putting non-OEM bits on my BMW, but C$400 is a lot of dollars for that ethic.
Too bad you are so far, I would have gotten you a Behr radiator for 350Cdn (I am in Ontario). And a radiator is pretty large to ship your way.

I am glad that you found your problem.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:50 AM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by audiophool
Well, did some dissassembly yesterday. Radiator has a hole down near the lower hose connection on the passenger side. Not a big hole, but a hole.

Since I'm not working right now and have the time, I'm going to do the replacement myself along with replacing the water pump and thermostat. (Oh joy...). I purchased the pump and thermostat a few years ago from ECS (OEM parts) so at least I don't have to buy them now. Funny thing: all the comments on WP replacement say you need 3 new aluminium bolts. ECS supplied new bolts but they're steel. WTF?

Also, while removing the top cover from the radiator, the hose that goes from the expansion tank and across to the upper rad hose snapped when I tried to gently unclip it from the housing. The plastic pipe is so brittle I can break it like a strand of dry pasta. Rather than buy an entire new hose, I'm thinking I can just replace the 1 foot long plastic bit in the middle - suggestions on material? I have some copper tubing that would fit...

Glad to see that you found the problem. When my mechanic replaced the water pump and thermostat (280K kms), he replaced the top plastic tube by an aluminum tube. I wouldn't use copper - might not react well with the antifreeze.
Salut, Bob P.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:09 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by frchdragon
Too bad you are so far, I would have gotten you a Behr radiator for 350Cdn (I am in Ontario). And a radiator is pretty large to ship your way.

I am glad that you found your problem.
Who is your supplier? I can contact to see if shipping is reasonable. I'd prefer not to put some generic "made in the far-East" stuff in my car, even though it's 9 years old and has almost 200,000km on it.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:11 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Glad to see that you found the problem. When my mechanic replaced the water pump and thermostat (280K kms), he replaced the top plastic tube by an aluminum tube. I wouldn't use copper - might not react well with the antifreeze.
Salut, Bob P.
True on the copper. I'll look for some aluminum tubing. They could have made the whole hose from EPDM, but no...
Old 01-19-2017, 11:56 AM
New Members

For anybody reading this, the Bentley manual is wrong about taking the electric fan assembly off. No mention of a nearly inaccessible bolt holding a hose bracket, nor any mention of removing an even more inaccessible strap tie holding a hose just below the upper radiatior connector, nor a tie strap at the bottom, nor a couple of other hose clips.

What else are they wrong about? Probably lots of stuff.

Now, on removal of the upper hose by the oil filter, the o-ring and retainer bit from the hose end stayed on the nipple instead of staying with the hose. I suppose this means I need a new upper hose too?

Last edited by audiophool; 01-19-2017 at 11:58 AM.