E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

No clue where to go from here, I think Iv lost my radiator fan

Old 01-19-2017, 03:16 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 545I 4.4l v8 m sport, premium audio, fully loaded
Default No clue where to go from here, I think Iv lost my radiator fan

So guys I replaced my battery cause it went bad, before I replaced it I jumped the car and noticed my radiator fan wasn't spinning. So I turned it off and locked it then tried unlocking it the next day and the battery was clearly gone. So I got a new one today and $180 later still no fan... so then I checked the fuse for the fan #9 in the glove box and just for gits and shiggles I tried #8 as well with a multi meter, both were good. Then I removed the plug from the temperature sensor and left the key in accessory mode then tried jumping the leads with a paper clip to trick the fan into thinking the sensor read heat and still no fan so my next step is to just pull out the fan and hook it directly to a battery but is there anything else I can do or try to get back on the road again??? It's a 2004 545i thanks for the help guys!
Old 01-20-2017, 03:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

your fan is controlled with a PWM signal from the DME. hooking up the fan directly to the battery will not cause it to spin because there is no PWM signal present. you need to find someone with INPA, Autologic, etc who can run the test program to verify if a PWM signal is being sent to the fan.

Search this Thread