E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i

Old 02-15-2014, 09:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i

Just installed ST coilover on my 06 550i. The stock shocks were completely done at 91k miles. Rear ones leaked all the fluid and fronts had no dampening.

Took me about 5 hours to install front and rear, put new top mounts on both front and rear. Definitely need atleast 12mm spacers with stock wheels or the inner side of the wheel will hit the shocks.

Now for the review. Since the stock shocks were done, I am not sure how the sports suspension is on the new car since I never drove a new E60. ST coilovers are definitely more stiff. Car feels very responsive on turns and freeway. Ride quality is a bit stiffer, feels a lot like my previous 335 with sports package but absolutely not bouncy. Drove about 20 miles on the freeway and towards the end of the drive, it started feeling better than the first few miles. Coilovers were used, had about 6-8k miles on them(can tell by the bump stops) so I am not expecting much settling in. Drop is perfect with 2" rear gap and 1" front from the fender wall. I can always increase the height if I want for long out of town trips with passengers.

In short, amazing ride quality and response from these bad boys. I'd recommend putting those on ASAP. Not sure about other e60 models but it's perfect for 550. Pictures to follow after alignment.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:53 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by Shon
Just installed ST coilover on my 06 550i. The stock shocks were completely done at 91k miles. Rear ones leaked all the fluid and fronts had no dampening.

Took me about 5 hours to install front and rear, put new top mounts on both front and rear. Definitely need atleast 12mm spacers with stock wheels or the inner side of the wheel will hit the shocks.

Now for the review. Since the stock shocks were done, I am not sure how the sports suspension is on the new car since I never drove a new E60. ST coilovers are definitely more stiff. Car feels very responsive on turns and freeway. Ride quality is a bit stiffer, feels a lot like my previous 335 with sports package but absolutely not bouncy. Drove about 20 miles on the freeway and towards the end of the drive, it started feeling better than the first few miles. Coilovers were used, had about 6-8k miles on them(can tell by the bump stops) so I am not expecting much settling in. Drop is perfect with 2" rear gap and 1" front from the fender wall. I can always increase the height if I want for long out of town trips with passengers.

In short, amazing ride quality and response from these bad boys. I'd recommend putting those on ASAP. Not sure about other e60 models but it's perfect for 550. Pictures to follow after alignment.
You bought these from Ketchupfreak? If so lucky guy I was next inline for that set, lol... Any specific DIY links you used or did you just know what to do? Also do you have ARS/Dynamic Drive anything to watch out for with those systems when installing?
Old 02-19-2014, 09:18 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
You bought these from Ketchupfreak? If so lucky guy I was next inline for that set, lol... Any specific DIY links you used or did you just know what to do? Also do you have ARS/Dynamic Drive anything to watch out for with those systems when installing?
THere is an install thread I did with my KW coilovers. My E60 had dynamic drive.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 04' 545, 6 Spd Manual, Blk Lthr, Sport Pkg, Sport Sts, Logic 7, Cold Wthr Pkg, Full L.E.D. Interior, Red Eng. Cvr, Mtech Front Bmpr, M5 Spoiler, Matte Blk Grill, Red Caps, Slttd & Drlld Rotors, 20
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by TheSuspensionSource
THere is an install thread I did with my KW coilovers. My E60 had dynamic drive.
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...122533/.....Is that you? PIcture looks like your current Sig. If so I have that thread subscribed.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:37 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i

Originally Posted by Quarta2six
https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...122533/.....Is that you? PIcture looks like your current Sig. If so I have that thread subscribed.
Correct!!
Old 05-23-2015, 03:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Shon

I do not want to start a new thread instead thought to ask you question to solve my problem.
I let the shop install ST x coilover on 545i and drove it home. They do not do any alignment at this time because needs to set them down. Car drives straight but the rear bounce so much that it feels like there is no springs and struts at all and it makes some sounds. Front seams much better. I can not go to the shop till Friday and need before that time advice. The instructions they came with seams kind of confusing to me. I counted the theets on rear strut and it is on 11th teeth from bottom. What are your settings. How to make it less bouncy?
Thanks
Old 05-23-2015, 08:20 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

Margal, the rear of your car bouncing is caused by your front suspension. So by counting and adjusting the rear will not help the bounce...To counter the bounce look at the front and make the adjustment there. It is possible that the shop that did the install didn't do it properly.

As far as alignment is concerned. It's true that it your coilovers do require time to set. If I were you, I would get the car aligned at a shop where they offer warranty or extended service.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:09 AM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by myxyzxo
Margal, the rear of your car bouncing is caused by your front suspension. So by counting and adjusting the rear will not help the bounce...To counter the bounce look at the front and make the adjustment there. It is possible that the shop that did the install didn't do it properly.

As far as alignment is concerned. It's true that it your coilovers do require time to set. If I were you, I would get the car aligned at a shop where they offer warranty or extended service.
Thanks a lot. Do you know a link where it shows how to adjust and measure the height proprerly? Anybody can recommend a good shop in Long Island Ny that I can trust?
Old 05-23-2015, 11:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2010

A correct install would require your car to be weighed for corner balance. To ensure that the car weight distribution is distributed evenly... As far as height is concerned that is up you on how high or low the car sits.. Keep in mind the lower you go, the more rough/bounce you will feel.

Pics of your current ride height will help.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Here is the pic
Attached Thumbnails ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i-image.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ST Coilover review on Pre-LCI 550i