E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Self Inflicted Coolant Leak..Advice Please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 09:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05' 545i Sport/M Package
Default Self Inflicted Coolant Leak..Advice Please!

Hey Guys,

New member to the forum converting from the Trailblazer SS family. I have yet to even get to my member introduction, but need some insight foremost.

This past weekend I went ahead and replaced my alternator and a few pulleys.

In my inexperience with our bay configurations removing the radiator fan, Trying to fold back that driver side folding retainer clip/wing I somehow forced it into the "Transmission Cooler Thermostat' and caused a hairline crack or something somewhere on it. It started dumping a very minor amount of coolant. (See Picture)

I went ahead and got a replacement part, but am unsure and cautious in removing the actual hose fittings that attach to the thermostat.

Does anyone have insight in how to remove the two hose fittings that attach to it? Is there a particular tool to assist? Or are they just clipped in there a particular way? I’d rather not break anything else, hence asking!

Thanks for taking the time to read! And I look forward to becoming an active member here!
Old 08-25-2015, 02:12 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E60 530d
Model Year: 2007
Engine: M57

Pull the metal clips (in the photo one has green coolant on it) away from the hose - they move maybe 10mm?

You might need a small screwdriver to help move the metal clips.

Then jiggle and pull the hoses away.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:23 AM
New Members

Thanks a lot! I was able to replace the thermostat with relative ease. I did my oil while I was down there, and from start to finish it took me a couple hours. I'm almost convinced that the issue wasn't the housing being cracked, as much as clip not being fulling engaged! Anyhow, I had the part so I went ahead and replaced it. Everything seems to be top notch so far, hopefully all remains that way.

Again, thanks for your confirmation on how to remove those things. Much appreciated.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

My transmission thermostat housing cracked once when I looked at it funny. Just the hose connection broke, but I had to buy the whole assembly.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by txag_530i
My transmission thermostat housing cracked once when I looked at it funny. Just the hose connection broke, but I had to buy the whole assembly.
Not sure if thats attributed to your face, or speaking for the durability of all these damn plastic parts!

In all reality though, not at all a hard fix. I'm sure if I had to do it again I'd cut the time in half.