E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy 04 530i

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 04:42 PM
Mad
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy 04 530i

The guy is selling it in February wants to trade my car and 1500$ which basically means
I'm getting it for 5500$ but it has 188000 miles its black on black with premium and sport package..... Do you think the mileage is too high to buy the car the only good thing is ill own it and have no car payment or high insurance .... Do you think the yearly maintenance will be too high to buy the car ? I know I'm very new to this forum but I need some help here any input would be great thanks.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 PM
pcy
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i, '07 C280 4matic, '98 ML320

Depends on how the car was maintained. At that mileage, lot of parts will be needing to be replaced...it can get expensive if you have to pay to replace all those parts.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it depends on how well it was maintained and that you should expect maintenance. It also depends if you have a good bmw mechanic or if you would rather go with a dealership for repairs. I personally take mine to the dealer for just about all repairs. I just needed to replace the front bushings and the associated costs were around $900. Also, the sport package has great OEM tires, but they are pricey at around 350-400 apiece. I would suggest to research typical maintenance repairs such as oil change, tires, etc.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Personally I wouldn't buy it if it's your first Bimmer and you are not familiar with basic fixes for a car. If you are not familiar with BMW and do not want to invest the time to read and learn it or buy the correct software and so forth I would stay away. I own 3 right now and have owned over 7 so I'm all to familiar with each of the cars they offer inside and out, since the electricals and parts are pretty much the same when going from specific chassis'.
This is a personal decision. I would buy it if I double checked it over driving and so forth but I would really have to check it out. History and all so it would take me a while and a box of tools.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i 6MT

i would say get a carfax on it,test drive it, and get all the info he can give you. it seems odd they are trading you their bmw for something else, seems odd don't you think??
are you buying it for your car plus another 1500 or are you spending 5500 on this thing?

They have been driving it with all those miles find out what has been done. There is certainly a lot that could be in need of being changed as far as worn out parts (check over suspension components) and associated maintenance but if its paid for and you have some money to throw at it to fix any bumps in the road go for it.
hell, you could at least use it to drive untill you can find another car, you will never learn with these cars unless your actually in one.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Mad
New Members

Wow thank you all for the fast responses I appreciate all the information !😯 I am going to have it checked out first before buying and test drive it ......
It will be my first bmw but my friend has an 04 545i and it is incredible I can't resist lol I will have 450$ a month extra to set aside for repairs and if its too exhausting in repairs I will sell it and buy one with less mileage..... It was coincidence I ran into the guy but he wanted to trade cause I have an old muscle car and he really liked it... He's not in a rush to sell...I'm getting it for my car and 1500$ and to achtumg I do research everyday like an obsessed nut and have an Indy already lined up who will work on it luckily
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 AM
New Members

trust me on this find a good mechanic .. pay him to look this car over based on his findings you make your decision .. i recently traded for an 03 bmw 330i..328i i forget which with 190k mi (was a couple months ago) anyway the thing looked really good and drove really good so we make our deal and trade for the car .. sent it to the shop it needed about 6 grand in various repairs to make it right (I work at a dealer) .. i also sent a 180k mi tacoma through that needed nothing but an oil change

most high mile cas are ticking time bombs but i can say i get some super clean ones that were taken care of as well but its more the exception to the rule just spend the $ to have it looked at it will be the best 80-100 bucks u ever spent !
Old 11-01-2012, 12:50 AM
Mad
New Members

Yes I will definitely spend the extra 100$ to have it looked at and if I does say have some problems that need attending to I will only give him maybe 500$ or not trade him at all I just don't want to have to wait another extra 8 months to save to buy a 12000 bmw with cash
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i sport package

Even if the car initially passes muster, be prepared to spend big dollars on it. Like MP1472 said regarding the 3 series he purchased, it can get very expensive very fast. There are things that an inspection won't reveal and with that kind of mileage something is worn out or is in the process of wearing out.

My suggestion, stand down on this car, save your money and buy something with fewer miles when you have more cash to spend. Buying an extremely high mileage BMW when you are concerned about repair costs doesn't appear to be a sound decision to me. Take my two cents for what it's worth.

Last edited by onetime; 11-01-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Members

IMO, because of the high mileage, if you decide to buy it - you won't REALLY be able to enjoy it. You'll always have that lingering thought of when the next repair is gonna show up and how much it's gonna cost.

Quick Reply: Should I buy 04 530i