E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replace coil springs or not at 175,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 05:32 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Default replace coil springs or not at 175,000 miles?

I'm replacing everything, upper and lower control arms, whole tie rod assemblies, struts and mounts, took everything apart and all of these components' life has ended. My coil springs are original and I don't really know if there's a way to test them. I'd hate to throw money away if they don't need replacement, and everywhere I'm looking, only lowering coil spring sets are being sold, and I don't want to lower my car. What's the general consensus?
Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i

Originally Posted by motopokep
I'm replacing everything, upper and lower control arms, whole tie rod assemblies, struts and mounts, took everything apart and all of these components' life has ended. My coil springs are original and I don't really know if there's a way to test them. I'd hate to throw money away if they don't need replacement, and everywhere I'm looking, only lowering coil spring sets are being sold, and I don't want to lower my car. What's the general consensus?
Why are you replacing the upper and lower control arms when you can just replace the worn out bushings, was the car wrecked?

Last edited by texasmr2; 08-28-2014 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by texasmr2
Why are you replacing the upper and lower control arms when you can just replace the worn out bushings, was the car wrecked?

Uuuuuh....because the ball joints are worn out.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:25 AM
New Members

Smile

Originally Posted by motopokep
Uuuuuh....because the ball joints are worn out.
You can also just replace them. I am just asking so please do not take my questions in a harsh manner.

Last edited by texasmr2; 08-28-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:43 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by texasmr2
You can also just replace them. I am just asking so please do not take my questions in a harsh manner.
you can, but bolting in a new arm is so much easier. plus, every time you remove and press a new bushing, you are actually removing aluminum material from the arm. I think BMW states that it should only be done once, after that you must replace the arm.

OP, springs don't 'wear out' like the other stuff you're replacing. If they're not broken, rusted, etc, reuse them. The H&R springs on my E30 are over 20 years old and they're still perfectly OK.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:59 AM
New Members

Smile

Originally Posted by KyleB
you can, but bolting in a new arm is so much easier. plus, every time you remove and press a new bushing, you are actually removing aluminum material from the arm. I think BMW states that it should only be done once, after that you must replace the arm. OP, springs don't 'wear out' like the other stuff you're replacing. If they're not broken, rusted, etc, reuse them. The H&R springs on my E30 are over 20 years old and they're still perfectly OK.
I hear you brother and I agree, I was just offering suggestions which I now realize the OP was most likely already well aware of. I also agree with you about the springs.

Gregg

Last edited by texasmr2; 08-28-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:06 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005

I think they wear out like other suspension components. At your milage they been compresses gazillions times and wound not work as they supposed to. What about the coilover? Like KW variant?
That is in my soon to do list.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:39 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

Springs do wear out. If I were doing the entire front suspension, I would replace the springs.
Old 08-30-2014, 05:59 AM
Members

Tex, didn't take in a harsh way, just thought it's just easier to replace the whole control arm..I have no idea how take out the old ball joints, and I don't have access to a press to press in new ones and new bushings. Everywhere I read, everyone just replaces control arms.

As far as springs, I've read both ways, that springs are good forever, unless they're rusted or broken...or that they should be replaced after so long...I would tend to agree with the latter, I'd like to get a set of new stock springs, just for the heck of it, to refresh the whole suspension, plus at 175,000 miles with original struts, these strings took a lot of beating. Thing is, I can't find a set of stock height springs, everyone I'm looking, they're lowering. I guess I'll just reuse mine.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

You can always buy them from a dealer brand new (BUYBMWPARTS.COM) or other online stores.

Another is to look for them i salvage yards, but I'm a bit reluctant to get these kind of parts from salvage.

You can return the shock absorbers you ordered and get a single stage KW coilover which you can adjust to the original height.

If it were up to me and my car had that kind of mileage, I would replace the springs. I am sure if you look at a brand new spring, and measure it, it will be taller than the spring you have.

Quick Reply: replace coil springs or not at 175,000 miles?