E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflector to Projector conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 04:36 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 535i
Default Reflector to Projector conversion help

Ok so I'm not going to go into detail in how I ended up with this headlight but it's what I have to work with money wise.

I have a Pre- LCI E60 with Relfectors. And I bought(without knowing) Pre - LCI Xenon Projector headlight.

The difference is, with the reflector there is only one connector and it has 7 pins & The Pre LCI Projector has two connectors and the big block has 8 pins instead of 7. The little block had 3.

Is there an adapter for the reflector connecter to somehow work with the projector headlights?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Reflector to Projector conversion help-image.png  
Old 09-21-2016, 08:00 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

More than likely, your Xenon's are also adaptive. You really want to get the correct light. What you want to do with this Xenon is doable, but it is going to cost you money and time and aggravation. It isn't as simple as an electrical connector adapter.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:01 AM
New Members

Is says Dynamic. But anyways I just need them to turn off and on. Nothing else, just that. As long as I can get them to work that that'll be fine.

Is that possible..?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:49 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

The adaptive lights move up and down and right and left as the car moves and you turn. What happens when they don't get the right signals? Do they "default" to some sort of "normal" position and you get what you want? Don't know. I do know that Xenons are very much brighter and if the aren't aimed right you are blinding oncoming drivers. If they aren't aimed right, you aren't seeing all the road.
Old 09-22-2016, 03:27 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i

The "adaptive" part can be disabled with coding. I've done this on an X6. the headlights default to a normal position as twh said and no codes because its disabled. Also twh is correct about blinding other drivers but even adaptive headlights have manual adjustments that can be done on the headlight itself with simple tools and a dark garage.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:32 PM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by DanielFD
...even adaptive headlights have manual adjustments that can be done on the headlight itself with simple tools and a dark garage.
correct. there are mechanical adjusters on each side for horizontal and vertical adjustment.

i think what you want to do is possible, but it is going to be challenging to get the wiring correct for the xenons. the AHL modules, xenon ballasts, need to be wired properly to the LM.

PM me your email address and I will send you some wiring information that i have for the pre-LCI xenons. you are going to need the xenon wire connectors. on the xenons, the small 4-pin connector has one wire to ground and two wires to the light module to control the adaptive/dynamic feature.

Last edited by BostonJon; 09-25-2016 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JCapirote (09-17-2019)
Old 09-25-2016, 05:37 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Alexe60crock
Ok so I'm not going to go into detail in how I ended up with this headlight but it's what I have to work with money wise.

I have a Pre- LCI E60 with Relfectors. And I bought(without knowing) Pre - LCI Xenon Projector headlight.

The difference is, with the reflector there is only one connector and it has 7 pins & The Pre LCI Projector has two connectors and the big block has 8 pins instead of 7. The little block had 3.

Is there an adapter for the reflector connecter to somehow work with the projector headlights?

Thanks
what year is your E60? and what is the production date? you can find this on realoem.com by putting in the last 7 digits of your VIN. this is important to make sure the correct wiring diagram from WDS is obtained.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:44 PM
New Members

I ended up cutting the lens off of the Xenon headlight and putting it on my old housing with the reflector.

If only I would've known this earlier haha. Anyways I'm most likely going to sell the headlight as is just without the lens because it doesn't have one now lol. I was thinking $70 for the ballast, Headlight, and the AFS Module all together. I would say that's pretty good price for all three in working condition.
Old 09-25-2016, 05:49 PM
New Members

are you kidding? just because you didnt get an answer in 4 days, you hacked up a perfectly good xenon headlamp just to get the lens off of it?
Old 09-25-2016, 06:20 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

I want to see pics of these "new" headlights.

Quick Reply: Reflector to Projector conversion help