E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Radio Stopped Working And Battery Drain??

Old 01-26-2017, 01:58 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i
Exclamation Radio Stopped Working And Battery Drain??

Okay, so I've read around and not sure if I came across anything really similar to what I'm experiencing.

Earlier today I was driving to a doctor's appointment when suddenly my radio shut off. The iDrive screen turned white before fuzzing out. The CCC unit turned off and would not turn back on, and on the screen you can very faintly see the outline of the main menu.

I was running late to my appointment that when I got there and parked, I just shut the car off and went inside. When I came back out and started the car, no seatbelt tone, no radio, nothing on screen. Drove home, at some lunch, and came back out to the car. Started it up again, same thing no seatbelt tone, no radio, nothing on screen. I did the hard reboot process (pressing down both eject buttons and the knob at the same time), and the radio came back on. Thought it was just a fluke so I listened to the radio for a minute before shutting off the car and going inside.

Later when I left for work, I started the car and the radio came on just fine no problems. But then a few minutes later the radio shut off and the iDrive screen turned white before fuzzing out. The CCC unit turned off and would not turn back on, and on the screen you can very faintly see the outline of the main menu.

Was running late for work so I couldn't really try fixing it, but later when I got off, I started the car to no radio still, and the triangle in the cluster. I did the hard reboot and the unit powered on normally. Went to check the control messages and I got a high battery drain.

I blamed it on the CCC unit and the iDrive screen as when I got to work, there was still the faint main menu on the screen that never went away after I got out of the car.

My question is: what could be causing my radio to shut off like that? Is something shorting out? Should I just not power my radio on? I replaced my CCC unit a couple months back already, I don't want to have to replace it again so soon. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-26-2017, 12:41 PM
New Members

So the next morning, still happening. Started the car no radio, did the reboot came back on but shut off not long after. I'm just not going to bother getting it to turn back on until I can figure out what's wrong.

I don't think its any fuses as if it was, the unit would not come back on at all. I've read around that it could be the MPM? I need to go find it and look at it, but is it common for that to go out? From what I've read where that unit is placed is not the most ideal so most issues are from water damage. But if there is no water damage is it common for it to just fail? I would assume so. I hope this failing does not damage the CCC unit??
Old 01-26-2017, 12:56 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

With a 05, the MPM is located in the bottom of the spare tire well. Water damage is the prime killer with water entering either by overflowing rear sunroof drains or failing taillight assembly seals.

MPMs appear to be fairly robust if not exposed to water.

The recommended relocation spot for the MPM and any other modules is behind the left quarter panel trunk liner. In the area for sat radio module or phone module.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2017, 01:26 PM
New Members

Could the MPM be the reason for my radio working sometimes and suddenly just shutting down? I've read about relocating it and I may do that. But is there something else I could be missing or something I could also investigate to see if that could be the cause of my CCC issues?
Old 01-26-2017, 01:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

You said you replaced your CCC several months ago. Did you replace it with another used unit or did you have the mother board in the unit replaced?
Old 01-26-2017, 02:26 PM
New Members

This was a refurbished unit I got from a dealer. Not sure if it is still under a warranty but if it is should I bring it over to them? Problem is they are about a 2 and a half hour's drive from me (they gave me the best deal).
Old 01-26-2017, 03:16 PM
New Members

Okay so update: took a look at the MPM in the spare tire well, horrible placement for it. I'm the second owner of this car, not sure what happened but there was oil or grease or something spilled all over that area. The bottom part of the MPM was covered with it, along with the connectors. The top had some by the connector area. Not sure what exactly all that stuff was but it was sticky.

Could it be safe to say the MPM might be bad or going bad because of all that?
Old 01-26-2017, 03:54 PM
Members
Senior Members

You could try cleaning the contacts with a electric contact cleaner product by CRC, available at most AutoZone, Advanced Auto, etc.. If you go that route, open the MPM case, from the end, and slide the board out and give it a good visual inspection, looking for burned or scorched areas, as well as any of your oil/grease. If just oil/grease residue present, try giving it a good spraydown, let it air dry well, reassemble and give it a go.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:58 PM
New Members

This is what I'm going to do and hope that works out. If this module is damaged, would this cause problems or potentially damage my CCC unit? I really don't want to have to go and get that thing replaced, AGAIN, even when it's not even 6 months old yet.

If I get a new or used MPM, does it need to be coded? Or is it simple plug and play?
Old 01-26-2017, 04:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

MPMs are a plug and play item. If it turns out it is in fact bad, I would go with a new part and not used.

As far as your CCC, I'm assuming you purchased this through a BMW dealer. That being the case, I believe you should have a 12 mo warrenty.

Search this Thread