E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 07:04 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Default Radio issues

Hello I recently bought a 04 545i for a project it needs new struts and sway bar and a couple odds and ends but the radio is not working at all it comes on and goes strait to FM radio and and wont let me do anything on that part like chose a different station or go to AM or AUX.

and its on mute and no idiot chimes are working, after checking online and i read it may have something to do with the amp so i went back to the truck and tore everything apart. what i found is that someone wired a aftermarket amp in the back but the amp didn't come with the car when i got it but the hook ups are there. The other box that was next to the amp was unplugged and had a loop cable attached to it.

The Fans on the amp are not working so i checked the fuses and found a 30 amp fuse blown, replaced and still nothing. unfortunately i cant find my tester anywhere to check the power source but i am pretty sure it's no good because thats probably the reason why they had a aftermarket one in there.

so my question is what can i do to fix the issues, can i just put a aftermarket amp back in and will that fix my sound issues, and is this somehow connected to my radio not letting me pick any option on it if not what is the cause?

how much will this cost if there is no other option to fix it myself and take it to a BMW stealer.

I attached a youtube video of my problem i just posted it up

Now for a rant: If this was any other kind of car i would just stick a aftermarket radio in and be done with it. but of course bmw has to be difficult but i can't find any good how to's unless i am missing something. like why can't i find a face plate to put where the CD player is right under the climate controls i think that would be a good spot for a single din cd player has anybody did that lmk

Any help would be appreciated
Old 12-14-2016, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

It looks like they did some modifications and messed some things up. I would first trace power to make sure everything was connected. The dealership is the last place you want to go unless you go there to have them figure out whats wrong. If you can fix it then fix it if not then you will have your answer and can decide if you want them to do it. Something like this will not be cheap if a module is bad preventing it to work right. Just make sure everything is connected before you take it to the dealer for diagnostics.