E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Programing Garage Door Opener

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:07 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

So I did a search looking for instructions on how to program my garage door opener on the rear view mirror. Not much luck... What Im trying to program it to is my pals apartment entry gate. Im trying to avoid having to borrow his clicker everytime I need to leave and get back into the complex. Is this possible to program to my mirrors garage door opener? Any advice in the steps to take is greatly appreciated!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i /w Sport pkg - SMG - Nav - Premium pkg - PDC - Ready to begin my modding! =)

Originally Posted by AKAlius' post='801361' date='Feb 25 2009, 01:07 PM
So I did a search looking for instructions on how to program my garage door opener on the rear view mirror. Not much luck... What Im trying to program it to is my pals apartment entry gate. Im trying to avoid having to borrow his clicker everytime I need to leave and get back into the complex. Is this possible to program to my mirrors garage door opener? Any advice in the steps to take is greatly appreciated!
Whats up Phi?!?!?! More then likely you will not be able to program your friends gate on your car, as I am sure the gate probably has "rolling" code technology, which is a two step learning process.

Which means aside from you teaching your car the rolling codes you also have to program the gate to accept the codes from your car. So unless you have access to the learn function of the gate itself it probably wont work. Typically as new remotes are needed at apartment complexes the company that maintains the gates have to add remotes on to the system by accessing the control panel of the gate itself to "learn" the new remotes into the system.

With single code technology all you have to do is teach the car to repeat the same frequency as the remote and the car repeats it, so it would be simple as just having the remote handy and following the steps in the BMW manual.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Original E60 Spec: 530i - Silver Grey Out, Black Dakota Leather In, Navigation Pro, Voice Command, HiFi Audio, Sports Package, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package w/ Heated Seats, Style# 123 Alloy Track Wheels, Auto AC, Power Front Seats, Active Turn Xennon Headlights, Mods: OEM M-Tech Front Bumper, OEM M Side Skirts, OEM M5 Rear Bumper, M5 Trunk Lid Finisher, M5 Style Mirrors, Custom Hamann Style Splitter, Custom Hartge Style Diffuser, RD Sport Boot Spoiler, LCI Taillights, Bruce Miranda's V4 LCI Retro Cables, 6000K Xenon light Bulbs, Xenon White LED License Plate Lights, 8000K HID 9006 Fog Lights, Akalius� Front Headlight Euro Overlays, Matte Black Kidney Grilles, E60.Net Clings, Debadged, Llumar Tinting "Micro Edged, 15% Rear 35% Sides, Engine Mods: Custom Magnaflow Quad Exhaust w/ Eisenmann Stamped 3� Tips, RPI Scoop (Red) Added Electronics: V1 Equipped (Hardwired), OEM Alpine CD Changer Retrofit, Shoes: SOLD-20" Staggered Vertini Hennesey Rims, Falcon 452's Tires-SOLD New Shoes: 19" VMR 710 Hyper Silver, General Exclaim UHP 245/35/19 Front-275/30/19 Rear, Gloss Silver Caliper Paint Job DIY ^_____________ Retired ______________ Took Delivery 10/26/2009: LOADED! E60 M5 Silverstone II/Black, Active Seats, Comfort Ventilated/Heated Seats, HUD, Brushed Aluminum Trim,

Originally Posted by IceyTys' post='801378' date='Feb 25 2009, 02:31 PM
Whats up Phi?!?!?! More then likely you will not be able to program your friends gate on your car, as I am sure the gate probably has "rolling" code technology, which is a two step learning process.

Which means aside from you teaching your car the rolling codes you also have to program the gate to accept the codes from your car. So unless you have access to the learn function of the gate itself it probably wont work. Typically as new remotes are needed at apartment complexes the company that maintains the gates have to add remotes on to the system by accessing the control panel of the gate itself to "learn" the new remotes into the system.

With single code technology all you have to do is teach the car to repeat the same frequency as the remote and the car repeats it, so it would be simple as just having the remote handy and following the steps in the BMW manual.
Ah.. I see. Thanks Tyson. I hope its not the rolling code technology.

Has anyone been able to successfully program an apartment gate?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

anyone have any tips on how to program a garage opener. i followed the directions in the manual and still no luck.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by xxrap985xx' post='801851' date='Feb 25 2009, 09:09 PM
anyone have any tips on how to program a garage opener. i followed the directions in the manual and still no luck.
check the garage door opener base (the one on the roof of the garage)...see if there is a "learn" button you need to press before programming your e60 with the garage door opener....
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Cold Weather Package Navigation and Logic7 Package Sport Suspension Package

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='801853' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:10 AM
check the garage door opener base (the one on the roof of the garage)...see if there is a "learn" button you need to press before programming your e60 with the garage door opener....
thanks will try once i get the car back from dealer...still waiting
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

I live in an apartment complex with a gate, and yes it would be nice to get the mirror programmed to open the gate, even if its "rolling". Now i dont even know how to try, because i dont have a book for my e60. perhaps someone got a pdf version so i can learn how to program the opener?
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by gvolkov' post='801858' date='Feb 25 2009, 09:24 PM
I live in an apartment complex with a gate, and yes it would be nice to get the mirror programmed to open the gate, even if its "rolling". Now i dont even know how to try, because i dont have a book for my e60. perhaps someone got a pdf version so i can learn how to program the opener?
pdf's of manual by year can be found here

http://www.e60.net/information/
Old 02-25-2009, 08:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='801861' date='Feb 26 2009, 12:26 AM
pdf's of manual by year can be found here

http://www.e60.net/information/

how nice, didnt realize forum had this page. Thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

I have my friend's condo complex gate, my girlfriend's garage opener, and my garage opener programmed. No problems...

Quick Reply: Programing Garage Door Opener