E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem when car is coming to stop. Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 07:32 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550 M Sport

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
Recall is for an issue that can possibly endanger a life. The E60s are old so they will not waist the money or resources on it. They will tell you, you need a reman transmission and kindly give you a $5500-$7500 quote depending out what dealership you're at. I know this is because that is what I got. But I took my time and narrowed it down and spent around $900 and a half a day total and know my problem is fixed with a lifetime warranty.
It's endangering my life by making me go crazy. But what did you exactly do to fix your problem? Just change fluid and reset the adaptations? Or more?
Old 08-20-2015, 10:29 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Interesting, I too was at approximately 76K miles when I began having tranny issues. Issue that are very similar to yours. As stated earlier, topics like this were discussed in the DIY section hundreds of times. You are bound to find your answer there. Trust me, I did. With that said, I may as well share this here:

First things first, CHANGE OUT YOUR FLUID. It appears that you are due for a change based on your mileage. (Don't buy into the "Lifetime Fluid" crap) Over time any lubricating fluid thickens. This ultimately causes the solenoids to function erratically since the valve movements are compromised with thickening/dirty fluid. The tolerances between the valve and seals are jeopardized. There is a special procedure to follow when changing fluid and, follow it meticulously. Replace the pan and mechatronic sleeve (know to leak) while you're at it.

Secondly, bring the car to any indy shop that specializes in euro cars and have them reset the transmission adaptation (and no, the "hold down the pedal for 30 sec" trick will not help one bit). This will allow the computer to "learn and adapt" to the efficient movement of the solenoids after a fluid change otherwise, you''ll continue to have hard shifting. Initially right after the reset you'll get some hard shifting, very noticeable from 1-2-3, 3-2-1 but, eventually it'll smoothen out. Good luck.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:52 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 bmw 530i

its something called nic nuetral idle control ,i have been having the same issue.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:53 AM
New Members

My Ride: 550 M Sport

Originally Posted by vinko1020
its something called nic nuetral idle control ,i have been having the same issue.
And what part do you replace or fix?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by vinko1020

Never heard of that before. Its called BMW not using the right parts in the car. I had this and I fixed it with getting my VB reconditioned (having the solenoids and gaskets upgraded). There is a DIY that covers this and I am sure you will find what you are looking for. Many people on this forum has had the same issue and the all the solutions were similar. I would have to do my research on the "NIC" being that no one has came up with this the 3 years this has been talked about and a solution was found.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MarkOanes
It's endangering my life by making me go crazy. But what did you exactly do to fix your problem? Just change fluid and reset the adaptations? Or more?

What I did made sure I would not have the issue come back at all and if it does I have a lifetime warranty. I sent my Valve Body in for reconditioning. They found a bad solenoid. The replaced the solenoid and upgraded the ones that needed upgrading. They also put the upgraded gaskets in because the gaskets that were from the manufacture were not sufficient enough (loosing pressure). I also bout the 5 gaskets that sits between the VB and trans. and the mech sleeve. I put it all back together with fresh fluid did a reset on adaptions and no more issues. I can drive the car as hard as I want and no errors no 1-2, 2-1 slam. It drives as good as it did when it was new. BMW quoted me around $7500 for a reman trans. I fixed it all for around $900. I am the type that I only want to do something once so that is why I went the route I went.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:08 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i
Default Oil pan and fluid change

An oil pan (which includes the filter) 6l of fluid changed plus your adaptations reset should do the trick. It worked for me. I had exactly the same symptoms plus jerking around 60kph.

I have been told by a BMW technician that some BMW diagnostic machines recommend to do two consecutive oil changes since the gearbox holds 12l of oil (6 in the pan and 6 above the gearbox components). You can only flush 6l when doing an oil change so they recommend two consecutive ones to allow new fluid to mix with old. This needs to be done 200-300 ams apart.

I've only done one change and it worked for me.
Old 10-21-2015, 11:41 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525i E60 2005

I hope you are having a good day.

I have an E60 2005 525i, it has a transmission problem. It does exactly this
and when the car is going down a slope and I stop and try to go in reverse it just go a little bit but then it wont go no more in reverse. But if I go into reverse in a normal street after restart the car it goes perfect in reverse. So reverse just has problem when I try against a slope or when the car has to use extra power in reverse.

So do you think that if a replace the solenoids it will fix those problem? what do you think that I have to do?

errors codes: 4f89,4f95, 4f85

btw; I already changed oil and pan (febi oil) but it got worse.

I hope you can help me.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

It seems as if you are having a slippage issue. Which is common to the ignoring of early warnings. If you have already done a fluid change (which could make your issue worse) then you have two options. You either have low fluid pressure or clutches are worn. You can have your VB re-done and replace the 5 gasket between the VB and trans and hope that fixes or get a reman trans. You can do the first and spend $1000 and if it does not fix it then you wasted you money if it does you saved yourself thousands. Or you can do the second and spend $6000-$7000 and it will definately fix it but you never know if the first one would of worked and saved you money. You can also just get rid of the car.

This is a decision you have to make. The info is in the DIY forum if you want to try to fix it yourself with the VB reman.
Old 10-22-2015, 04:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Seanjordan20,

Is there any harm in doing a Transmission adaptation reset just for the sake of doing it? I had my mechatronics sleeve replaced last year due to the common leak. My indy never did the reset. Shortly after I am getting the "hiccup" between 35-40 mph. Pretty sure I need to get the solenoids replaced, but do you think an adaptation reset will help in the meantime? Would you mind explaining the steps? I have INPA and DIS installed and functional. Just not sure what menus I need to go into. I thought I saw it in INPA, but never DIS. Thank you in advance!

Quick Reply: Problem when car is coming to stop. Transmission?