E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem when car is coming to stop. Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550 M Sport
Default Problem when car is coming to stop. Transmission?

So I'm having a problem on my 2008 550 m sport that is on and off. Every time I am coming to a stop, sometimes the car will jerk like being hit from behind. Sometimes it's harder sometimes it's soft and sometimes it doesn't do it at all. Also on a cold start, when taking it off its jerking on first gear like its hesitating. And sometimes I get a delay with my throttle. Could this be transmission or just the computer? Hopefully it's the computer because I just got it. Your input will be helpful! Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 04:50 PM
New Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2010

how many miles on the car and the fluid? Has the fluid ever been changed? I'd start with a fluid change and go from there.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Do not start with a fluid. This is a regular problem with E60s, some an easy fix others full transmission replacement. First thing you should try is resetting the adaptations, it will take about a 100 miles are so to relearn. If the slam doesn't go away then check fluid levels.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:38 PM
New Members

Car now has 122,000KM bought this at 110. I don't think the fluids have been changed. How do I reset the adaptations?
Old 08-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by MarkOanes
Car now has 122,000KM bought this at 110. I don't think the fluids have been changed. How do I reset the adaptations?
I usually use DIS 57, which is a BMW specific scan tool, if you are unfamiliar. I also believe you can use INPA (another BMW tool). There are some myths about other ways to do it without a software tool. I can't verify but do a google search.

My car was doing the cold starts slam for a few years but was fine once it was warmed up. I had the dealer change a sealing sleeve in the transmission then the car started the 2-1, 1-2 slam. Everything was smooth as a baby's butt after I did the reset. I had the same symptoms again after receiving it from the dealer who changed the transmission oil pan, they were unsure what was going on wanted to keep the car but since I kinda figured it was the same issue I took the car, reset and back to a baby's butt ever since.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:32 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
I usually use DIS 57, which is a BMW specific scan tool, if you are unfamiliar. I also believe you can use INPA (another BMW tool). There are some myths about other ways to do it without a software tool. I can't verify but do a google search.

My car was doing the cold starts slam for a few years but was fine once it was warmed up. I had the dealer change a sealing sleeve in the transmission then the car started the 2-1, 1-2 slam. Everything was smooth as a baby's butt after I did the reset. I had the same symptoms again after receiving it from the dealer who changed the transmission oil pan, they were unsure what was going on wanted to keep the car but since I kinda figured it was the same issue I took the car, reset and back to a baby's butt ever since.
Where could I get this scan tool? Hopefully it's just the computer because transmission on this car is a big bill. I hate driving it like this as it is really annoying and I like my ride smooth. Thanks
Old 08-20-2015, 06:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

A lot of people have been on this site with the same issue you have. Yes an adaption reset will fix the issue temporarily but it will not fix your issue 100%. BMW knows about this issue and refuse to acknowledge it. This issue has been covered extensively on this forum with DIYs and what worked for others. Go to the DIY section and you will find what you are looking for. Everyone on this site will recommend changing your transmission fluid regularly because the fluid is not a lifetime fluid. So what ever remedy you choose make sure it involves a fluid change if you believe it has never been changed.
Old 08-20-2015, 07:11 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
A lot of people have been on this site with the same issue you have. Yes an adaption reset will fix the issue temporarily but it will not fix your issue 100%. BMW knows about this issue and refuse to acknowledge it. This issue has been covered extensively on this forum with DIYs and what worked for others. Go to the DIY section and you will find what you are looking for. Everyone on this site will recommend changing your transmission fluid regularly because the fluid is not a lifetime fluid. So what ever remedy you choose make sure it involves a fluid change if you believe it has never been changed.
Wow if Bmw knows about it, they should be doing a recall and fixing them if it's a common problem... But yeah I'll the do the reset and try change the fluid. Hopefully it's an easy DIY
Old 08-20-2015, 07:16 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Originally Posted by seanjordan20
+1 --- as seanjordoan20 says, change the fluid.

Look at it this way, it can't hurt.

I did change the fluid on wife's 2009 X5 a week ago -- about 68K miles. No problems of any kind led me to do this now. Just wanted to get some preventative maintenance done. Changed the pan and sleeve also. Whole this was one PITA. Especially the fill procedure. Anyway, it got done. Now, I never asked wifey anything and she isn't very car interested in the first place. But, she said to me a day after the change, out of the blue, "I don't know if I'm making this up or not, but I could swear the car seems to shift smoother".
Old 08-20-2015, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 294 Likes on 283 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Originally Posted by MarkOanes
Wow if Bmw knows about it, they should be doing a recall and fixing them if it's a common problem... But yeah I'll the do the reset and try change the fluid. Hopefully it's an easy DIY
Recall is for an issue that can possibly endanger a life. The E60s are old so they will not waist the money or resources on it. They will tell you, you need a reman transmission and kindly give you a $5500-$7500 quote depending out what dealership you're at. I know this is because that is what I got. But I took my time and narrowed it down and spent around $900 and a half a day total and know my problem is fixed with a lifetime warranty.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 08-20-2015 at 07:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Problem when car is coming to stop. Transmission?