E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Problem: Spark plug tube stuck to valve cover

Old 01-14-2016, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,
Default Problem: Spark plug tube stuck to valve cover

I'm an avid DIY kinda guy and if problems arise I can usually figure it out. But this fix is throwing me some humble pie up the A$$ so I need some advice: Here's the scenario:

I'm literally in the middle of replacing my gaskets for my valve cover on my N62 (545). Problem is the valve cover refuses to come off because the spark plug tubes are stuck to the valve covers! The tubes are suppose to remain in and over the spark plug while the cover is maneuvered up and out, then I can pull the tubes out. With my luck all 4 tubes inside the cover seem stuck with permanent glue or something.

I tried inserting a screwdriver handle side down (the tube is tapered) and hammering to see if the tube will pop loose from the cover but, instead the tube cracked. It's still stuck on the valve cover. Anyone had or know of this problem who can shoot me some advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Old 01-14-2016, 05:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

yeah yeah! I managed to pop them loose. Where there's a will there's my way. Here's what I did:

I lifted the front part of the VC (at the timing chain) as high as I could and reached in with my hand to grab each tube. I was in shoulder deep for tube #4. These are the asinine things that unexpectedly come up when you DIY. Best thing to do when stuck in a rut is to take a breather, ease the mind and try again.

But I still had issues to get the VC up and over the eccentric sensor. I tried to do this job without having to remove the strut tower braces but, that was impossible. What was nearly as impossible was removing the damn star bolt holding the strut braces above the shocks. The bolt hole is so shallow that the T45 driver kept slipping off rounding the inside. But once again, I managed. Somehow I was able to undo the strut brace bolt at the shock and moved it up a bit to allow the VC up and out. Booyaa! The bolt on the side that I have yet to do is shredded. Oh well....

I'd rate this job 4 wrenches out of 5. Pretty involved work. And after this job it's on to the alternator gasket... oh my achin' breakin' back
Old 01-15-2016, 06:14 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
I was in shoulder deep....
sounds like an interesting afternoon

glad it worked out.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:47 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i
Model Year: 2008

I reached in with my hand the same way to remove the spark plug tubes.

If you think the valve cover gasket job was hard, the alternator gasket job is even worse. Though it's a bit easier for your 545 since you don't have the oil cooler lines to get in the way. Have fun DIYer!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dingolfing
I reached in with my hand the same way to remove the spark plug tubes.

If you think the valve cover gasket job was hard, the alternator gasket job is even worse. Though it's a bit easier for your 545 since you don't have the oil cooler lines to get in the way. Have fun DIYer!
Funny you mentioned this. I moved onto the drivers side (broke the tube of #1 plug - waiting now on a replacement) and in order to get to the timing cover lowest bolt I have to remove the alternator, what a PITA! So I have both VC off, one can't finish cuz of the broken tube, the other I have to remove the alt to get to one bolt. I now have the alt off so I may as well start with its gasket. I'm going back-asswards! Seems like every time I attempt to do one job something else comes up. BTW the dealers wanted $87 for ONE spark plug tube Thank goodness for FCPeuro.com and bmwpartsweb.com I'd highly recommend both sites for BMW parts.
Old 01-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BostonJon
sounds like an interesting afternoon

glad it worked out.
Not deep enough for me! lol
Old 01-21-2016, 05:10 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i

do you know what size torx that bracket screw is for the oil cooler lines?
Old 01-21-2016, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Not sure what you're talking about nor its location. I had to unbolt only two brackets and both were on the upper timing cover that held the stiff-ass alt cable. Post a pic if you can.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:08 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i

sorry, wrong thread, my question applied to the newer 4.8L n62 with the oil cooler lines.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:55 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: E60 2005 545i Sport Black Sapphire Shadowline Trim 18" Style 124 Staggered Rims LM2 Upgrade
Model Year: 2005

I'm doing this now and 3 out of 4 spark plug tubes are stuck to the VC on the drivers side of my 545i. How the hell can you break them free? there's no room for my arm to get underneath to detach them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problem: Spark plug tube stuck to valve cover