E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

possible coolant leak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 06:40 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i
Question possible coolant leak?

So I went to dealer for first time an got oil change an top off all fluids this past Saturday the 13th..and now today I got a message low coolant..So i shut my car off an then restarted it no coolant message, so then I popped open hood checked coolant it was bone dry, I stuck my finger in just to make sure and it was dry..I have not drove car or did anything I set an appointment with local independent mechanic to get it checked out.. Now my question is what could the potental problem be? BTW i have 58K miles.

I thought dealer just didnt top off coolant because i havent seen anything leaking on ground but then again it has been raining alot..just looking for any feedback.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:41 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your finger is not the preferred method of checking coolant level. Unless you have an unusually long (I mean really really long NBA player length) finger, you should not be able to touch the coolant when the reservoir tank is properly filled.

Also you don't mention the red stick. There is a float in the coolant reservoir tank with a red stick on the top of the float. The stick is designed to indicate the minimum coolant level when the round ball on the very end of the stick raises to the top of the reservoir tank filler neck (as outlined in your manual). Take a flashlight and look into the tank to see if the red stick is on the end of the float and intact. As the car ages and the plastic becomes brittle from the repeated heating and cooling cycle, some people have experienced the red plastic stick breaking and falling into the tank, and some of those have experienced entire tank failure (plastic splits) shortly thereafter. Others have gone years without replacing the tank after the stick breaks, so there is not a lot of consistency.

If the stick is broken use caution that you do not overfill the tank, as the cooling system is a sealed system on the E60. When the system reaching operating temperature it is designed to be under pressure to help raise the boiling point of the coolant. If you overfill the tank, during operation and especially after shutdown and engine heat soak the radiator will overflow and the tank is designed to provide a place for excess coolant to move to. Overfilling the reservoir to begin with will take away this relief area and could cause damage to the tank or other components.

Add a 50% mixture of BMW blue coolant and DISTILLED water until the red stick moves to the correct position level with or slightly above the reservoir tank filler neck.
Old 12-18-2014, 10:46 PM
New Members

ok thank you for that info..my car is now at mechanic shop & I should know by tomorrow afternoon whats going on.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:37 PM
New Members

Ok so turns put no leak or anything car is in excellent condition..Dealer did not top off coolant like I had requested & paid for. My next step is to call dealer and file a complaint