E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Plasti Dip BMW 5 Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by E60Cruisin'
I had planned on plasti dipping my car for the winter months here in DC to avoid ice/salt damage to my black paint.
I lived in DC for twenty years (Springfield/Arlington). Don't worry about the salt damaging your car. It isn't NEARLY as bad near you as it is further up north with respect to salt on the roads. Wash your car regularly in the winter months just as you would in spring and summer, and give the underside of the car a good rinse when you do. When spring comes, remove all of the shielding from the underside of the car, give it a good hose down with fresh water, and you're done.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:58 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' Range Rover Sport

Originally Posted by seablue550i
I never did it, but I knew someone on my last forum who did it a few times to his G37. If its something temporary its okay but too much time in the sun leaves it baking onto the paint. Also removing it after some time to bake is not easy. You are looking at a day of scrubbing and hopefully your paint doesnt get wrecked. Im in Socal so hot and dry summers. Winter with little to no sun might be different but it still becomes a pain to pull it off all the little parts all over the car.
Thanks for sharing and sorry I confused you with KyleB's location either way good to know. I'll be looking for more info on long term effects of it.

Originally Posted by FaintReality
Looks good and no worries about the plasti dip "so called baking to the paint and not coming off". Everyone with real experience and when done right knows this stuff comes off with ease and you clearly have enough coats. Assuming you preped the car properly, you are golden. Enjoy.
That's what I've seen about peeling it off with more coats being easier. I would assume that would be the case as well as proper preparation as with anything, a job well done is a must in my book. Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by KyleB
I lived in DC for twenty years (Springfield/Arlington). Don't worry about the salt damaging your car. It isn't NEARLY as bad near you as it is further up north with respect to salt on the roads. Wash your car regularly in the winter months just as you would in spring and summer, and give the underside of the car a good rinse when you do. When spring comes, remove all of the shielding from the underside of the car, give it a good hose down with fresh water, and you're done.
I'm not much worried about the salt rusting the undercarriage as much as I agree it usually isn't as bad here as it is farther north.I'm not sure if you were here for the blizzard in '95 I think it was but it hadn't been anywhere near that until about 3 years ago I was stuck at my job for two days because people couldn't make it in.(hotel so it wasn't bad) I'm referring to the dried snow on the car along with grains over it and it getting rubbed along leaving behind those pesky grain trails or slight scratches that resemble the swirls on black paint. I know I'm overreacting and such but it's my pride and joy so of course I'd want to prevent that and having to buff it out. As I mentioned to seablue550i I wash regularly so much as to the point where I get made fun of for doing it so often. Thanks for the tips they are greatly appreciated!

Sorry for thread jacking infamuzzkilla
Old 07-16-2014, 07:21 AM
New Members

My Ride: 07 550i

Originally Posted by E60Cruisin'

That's what I've seen about peeling it off with more coats being easier. I would assume that would be the case as well as proper preparation as with anything, a job well done is a must in my book. Thanks for the input

All the people who complain about peeling issues use too little number of coats (can vs spray gun) and/or are buying the plasti dip in full strength and mixing in the paint thinners themselves (very common in Ca since it's illegal out here).

Assuming you use a gun with the correct sized tip, are using the plasti dip spray (not thinning yourself), lay down 6 coats minimum with the correct distance and temperature (spray too close and it will run, too far or too hot and it will dry as it hits creating texture), and prep the car properly, you can have amazing results with a very clean smooth finish.

Plasti dip gets a bad name from all the younger kids on the forums spraying their car in their garage with a 6 pack of cans found from their local hardware store
Old 07-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i

Originally Posted by FaintReality
Plasti dip gets a bad name from all the younger kids on the forums spraying their car in their garage with a 6 pack of cans found from their local hardware store
I'm not so sure about that. I've seen some professional plasti-dip jobs that have ended up looking like sh** a few years down the road.
It also chips very easily from rocks, curb rash, scratches etc. Personally, I would never plasti-dip anything on my car. BMW's original paint jobs on their cars is an insane process - I wouldn't want to ruin that (a similar process would be $5000+ to have done).
Old 02-10-2016, 08:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by KyleB
I may get flamed for saying this, but here goes nothing:

I think you ruined that car by plasti-dipping it. It looks decent in pictures other than the overspray noted by someone else, but I'm sure up close it looks like, well, plasti-dip. There is no substitute for a proper finish using quality paint and materials.

If I were hell-bent on changing the color of my car, I would have wrapped it. At least vinyl is removable and shouldn't damage the paint underneath. That plasti-dip is going to oxidize and etch its way into the paint. In short, it's never coming off and I doubt it'll still look good 3-5 years down the road.

That's just my $.02, if you're happy with the car then that's all that really matters.
I disagree
I'm getting ready to do mine soon. I've wanted to do it for a while. There is a new range of stuff that takes it to another level. Its more of a professional option but the results are incredible. Still have to decide what color.
Granted its more expensive and harder to do but looks worth it.

Last edited by tex_phil; 02-10-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 08:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Just as a update, I plan to plastidip my ride in the next few months. I purchased the sprayer setup for it. Still deciding on colors but may be going with nardo grey.

Or maybe something more crazy like color shifting.