E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

passenger seat restraint error message

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 545i
Model Year: 2004

Hey Deano, exactly what H F said. I've been using BMWhat, probably since they launched the app, it's very good at reading and clearing errors. The description of the errors needs work however. The app is about $50 and you can get a wifi/bluetooth OBDII dongle from ebay for really cheap. I bought ELM 327 wifi a while ago, from ebay. At the time I was using an Ipod Touch 1st Gen (no bluetooth) so I opted for the wifi version but the bluetooth version is just as good. The only thing I would say is be careful which vendor you buy from (after-all it's ebay). Other than that you could probably get an OBDII diagnostic cable (K+DCAN USB Interface) and try to get INPA. You should try to get INPA anyways if you're going to be avoiding the dealers in the future, it would save a lot of time and possibly money, as far as diagnostics, device self test, adaptation resets etc.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 PM
Members

I ordered the Creator C110 Airbag/ABS/SRS Diagnostic Fault Trouble Code Scanner Reader For BMW from amazon.com I think I'll be able to read and clear the codes with this. Hopefully I will be able to diagnose the error to one of the many components that could trigger the passenger restraint error or at least get the correct code and go on from there. My guess is that it will be a bad seat buckle assembly.

Tonyb635, thanks for the offer. Hopefully the I'll be able to able to get the info I need with the C110 code reader I just ordered.

If that doesn't work, I'll try the BMWhat App.

Thank you all for your help with this! I'll report back when I get this resolved.

Dean
Old 08-29-2014, 06:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530i N52
Model Year: 2006
Engine: n52

i have replaced the SGM MODULE...$1000 AND NO MORE ERRORS...( HAVE BEEN almost 2 years since.)

good luck
Old 09-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Members

Default Wahoo!

Wahoo!

My Creator C110 Airbag/ABS/SRS Diagnostic Fault Trouble Code Scanner Reader For BMW arrived yesterday. I plugged it in and erased all trouble codes and poof... the airbag and seatbelt warning lights went out and the terrible passenger restraint error message is now gone.

This morning I got my inspection sticker and I'm good to go.

It's not the first time with this car I got a code and was able to delete it and it never came back. This time I needed a more BMW specific code reader to clear the airbag code.

I would like to thank everybody who shared their experiences with this. I highly recommend getting a code reader and using it prior to going to the dealer. The one I bought was only $66 from amazon.com and it might save you a bundle.

Cheers!

Dean
Old 09-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by Deano
Wahoo!
I plugged it in and erased all trouble codes and poof... the airbag and seatbelt warning lights went out and the terrible passenger restraint error message is now gone.

It's not the first time with this car I got a code and was able to delete it and it never came back. This time I needed a more BMW specific code reader to clear the airbag code
Dean
Dean,

Another potential issue is the Battery Safety Terminal (BST or SBK in German). This is the explosive terminal over the positive terminal that detonates in an accident to cut power. I've three times had an intermittent BST error come on and have cleared it (oddly the error started soon after I had a dealer replace my battery). The fault code (SFZ 9AFF) says there is high resistance at the SBK. This is usually fixed by replacing the SBK/BST, which is a $225 part. I'm in the middle of this repair right now and will have results soon.

For months I thought this was the mat sensor, but I finally looked up the code and realized it wasn't.

Hopefully yours stays off!
Old 09-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
I'm in the middle of this repair right now and will have results soon.
So far so good....BST replacement successful.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: 525d M Sport

Nice job guys.
I also have this message - must get one of these C110 readers!
Old 09-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Members

Default Thanks for the great thread guys!

Thanks all! I'm not in favor of self-resetting codes and my run-of-the-mill ODB reader couldn't handle this one. But I'm at the end of my rope here, so thanks for the BMWhat or C110
options.

I've been battling the Passenger Restraint System fault for more than 2 years now, horrible!

My local shop claimed it was a leak in the sunroof causing electrical issues (it's an E61), so I was worried for a long time every time it rained - turned out to not be the issue. I replaced the rubber seals, got the code reset multiple times, code always came back after some weeks.

I brought the car to the local BMW dealer multiple times, they found no leaks or other issues. They always blamed the battery: one time it was a cable, then it was a connector clip, then it was something else that had come loose, etc etc Each time they reset the code, and after a couple of weeks the light came back on.
So two weeks ago, believing the dealer's battery stories, I said f-it, let's replace the battery with a new one. Had it done at BMW. Then last week, yep same fault comes back on. Brought it back in to BMW today, full diagnostics, they found no issues whatsoever and cleared the code again.

Anyway, I'm quite confident that (a) there is no real underlying problem, and (b) the fault light will come back on.

I'll be happy to just reset the code myself from now on. :-)
Old 10-23-2016, 03:28 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545 6 M/T
Default INPA 93DA error code Accelerometer.

Hey all,

Removed my accelerometer... what a PITA to get to... had to remove my headlight.

I went to realoem.com and punched in the P/N: 65776927110 and 65776927446 (see attached picture). Realoem came up with nothing.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Don't think it's a big deal as I will use the P/N reolem recommends but assuming the other side has the same P/N and still not found on realoem, is it okay to replace one side with a different part number?
Attached Thumbnails passenger seat restraint error message-20161023_155231.jpg  

Last edited by BraveHelios; 10-23-2016 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Other.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:48 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545 6 M/T

Originally Posted by BraveHelios
Hey all,

Removed my accelerometer... what a PITA to get to... had to remove my headlight.

I went to realoem.com and punched in the P/N: 65776927110 and 65776927446 (see attached picture). Realoem came up with nothing.

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog

Don't think it's a big deal as I will use the P/N reolem recommends but assuming the other side has the same P/N and still not found on realoem, is it okay to replace one side with a different part number?
Hey all, I just picked up a new Air bag sensor/accelerometer (65776927110 and 65776927446). Tried finding the torque specs for the bolts but to no avail.

Anybody know that the torque spec for the bolts might be?

Quick Reply: passenger seat restraint error message