E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger seat restraint error message

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 03:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I had read somewhere about the leather tighten up and this could be enough to trigger the sensor. It suggested to massage the seat and this might be enough to release any pressure on the sensor. No I don't actually do this while driving. Normally when I get n and start car I see the light come on but then stays on. So I reach over and push down on the seat in various areas which normally takes care of it. I guess it thinks someone is sitting there that does not meet the requirements. My light come on when I start star but then goes out after a couple seconds. So light is not on. If I put my bag or a small child or my dog the light comes on. The sensors are in the butt and back areas.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:39 PM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Here is a picture of the seat matt sensor .. I can see how it would kinda bend move or flex with pressure from the leather shrinkage . I can relate when you said cold temperature will shrink , and hot will relax the leather . When mine went off , I was on a road trip and it was hot in Los Angeles when we took off and no problems with the seat . The following morning it was cold in Santa Barbara . As soon as my sister sat in the seat the error appeared in the idrive ..

So now with what your saying tonyb, cold does have an impact by stiffening and contraction of the leather . It did cross my mind but couldn't really be sure of it . But now im pretty sure that it does play a roll ...
Attached Thumbnails passenger seat restraint error message-267.jpg  

Last edited by H F; 08-26-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 545i
Model Year: 2004

Hey Deano, have you read the module? What was the error code? I've had a Passenger Restraint Error for about a little less than 2 years, like you I thought it was the mat sensor but that was expensive and BMW didn't want to do as a goodwill repair (like many others have found). So I left it as is and considered many work-arounds, like what you're doing now. Long story short I read the module and figured out that the error was due to a Front Impact Sensor gone bad. I never hit anything but just before the warning came up I know I hit a really bad pothole (NYC streets!!!!!) just on the right side and it was the right sensor that was acting up, maybe it's related, maybe not. I don't remember the actual code I got, i'll have to look into my records, although the scanner I used didn't say it was that sensor, it said something completely different (a friend of mine that works as a BMW tech told me that that particular code was for the impact sensor). Swapped it out myself and cleared the code and i was good. So read the module first, unless for sure you know it's the mat sensor then continue what you're doing.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:55 PM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by DR545
Hey Deano, have you read the module? What was the error code? I've had a Passenger Restraint Error for about a little less than 2 years, like you I thought it was the mat sensor but that was expensive and BMW didn't want to do as a goodwill repair (like many others have found). So I left it as is and considered many work-arounds, like what you're doing now. Long story short I read the module and figured out that the error was due to a Front Impact Sensor gone bad. I never hit anything but just before the warning came up I know I hit a really bad pothole (NYC streets!!!!!) just on the right side and it was the right sensor that was acting up, maybe it's related, maybe not. I don't remember the actual code I got, i'll have to look into my records, although the scanner I used didn't say it was that sensor, it said something completely different (a friend of mine that works as a BMW tech told me that that particular code was for the impact sensor). Swapped it out myself and cleared the code and i was good. So read the module first, unless for sure you know it's the mat sensor then continue what you're doing.
Good and interesting information .. Do u have any pictures of the sensor or the , its location on the car?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:16 PM
Members

The part number according to RealOEM.com is 65776951595. It's secured on the front bumper reinforcement (behind the front bumper, somewhere between the headlight and the fog lamp, roughly) and there are two of them. It's #2 in the schematic.
Attached Thumbnails passenger seat restraint error message-full_20130627_172703_1486481571.jpg   passenger seat restraint error message-310.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Members

Btw it's also called the accelerating sensor
Old 08-27-2014, 07:17 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by DR545
Btw it's also called the accelerating sensor
Thanks bro ,, I've actually heard of someone driving over a pot hole and tripped the air bag warning . Don't know if the guy ever figured it out , but most likely this was the same issue you experienced ..
Old 08-27-2014, 12:54 PM
Members

DR545,
What do I need to “read the module”?I have an inexpensive code reader that has worked well with other codes and on the wife’s Lexus, but it’s reading no codes while this problem exists. Is there a reasonably priced code reader that will read this code and have the ability to erase it?
From what I’m reading, there seems to be many sensors/parts that can be responsible for the passenger restraint error. Most of what I’ve read has pointed to the seat occupied mat sensor in the passenger seat.I’ve got the $40 UK seat mat bypass gizmo on order and would like to be able to erase the code in case that fixes it.I am doubtful because the “pass air bag off” light seems to be working correctly when a passenger is present or not.
I hate to have to go to the dealer for this.I’d rather have a root canal. It would be great to be able to diagnose this, but I’d have to have the proper code reader.I Wish had a buddy that was a BMW tech!
Dean
Old 08-27-2014, 03:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Ill be in Manchester next month and can bring my laptop. If you don't get it sorta out let me know. I'm not sure how far you are from Manchester, NH but it can't be that far.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:04 PM
H F
New Members

Get BMWhat app with a wifi dongle . Those other code readers are not BMW specific, they don't have the ability to read all 63 modules and codes ..

Quick Reply: passenger seat restraint error message