E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger seat restraint error message

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger seat restraint error message

I have the "passenger seat restraint" error. From most people with this problem have an issue with their passenger occupant weight sensor in the passenger seat.

However, when my daughter sits in the seat, the light above the rear view mirror goes out, which leads me to believe that this sensor is working properly. What else can cause the passenger seat restraint error?

Dean
Old 08-25-2014, 11:50 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Leather shrinkage can cause the seat matt sensor to throw a malfunction .. Due to it being super sensitive .When the leather stiffens and shrinks it somehow tugs on the sensor and throws the error. But there is also other factors that will throw the same error on the idrive . But if indeed it is the passenger seat Matt and not module related like it was on my car , Condition the seat with Saddle soap mixed with leather conditioner worked into the leather several times fix the error . Since I did that the error has not came back . Got this information from a very reliable source and it solved my problem ..

Last edited by H F; 08-25-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:55 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 530i bmw

Hey H F.I have the same problem in my car , maybe if i try using a steamer will fix the problem.???
Old 08-25-2014, 08:15 PM
H F
New Members

I don't think steam will be good for the leather ..

Saddle soap lathers up and has oils that penetrate deep into the leather when you put on numerous thick coats , thus making the leather soft and releasing the stiffness and loosens when worked into the leather . The matt sensor is attached to the underside with hugs rings . When the leather shrinks it contracts tight and pulls on the hug rings and trips the warning. From my understanding the matt sensor is really super sensitive .
Old 08-26-2014, 01:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Take a look in your manual and it should tell you exactly the behavior of this light. I know of a pre LCI a the light is supposed to be on unless someone is in the seat and of proper requirements. Mine is a 08 LCI and the light is NOT supposed to be on when no one is in seat. If someone or something is in the seat and the requirements are not met the light comes on. In the morning the light is out and when I come home from work the light is on. HA! At home car is garaged and at work it's outside so the sun heats up the interior. Coming home I can often reach over and massage the top seat cover a little and the light will go out. So just as H.F said, it most likely due to the leather shrinkage. Also, on our 2013 F10, the light is on unless someone is in the seat. So it's opposite of what my e60 is. Take a look and read carefully your manual just to make sure.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:34 AM
Members

Default Will try the saddle soap...

I appreciate the responses.

I've read recently that an under-charged battery will cause the error code, and disconnecting the battery could reset the code. I charged the battery and then disconnected it for ~30min's but to no avail. I have on order a seat pad sensor bypass gizmo from the UK for ~$40. Of course My state inspection is at the end of the month and I'll be risking a ticket/fine until the gizmo comes in. Still have to have the dealer erase the code.

I will certainly try softening the leather (It's overdue anyways). I'll be thrilled if it works.

I'll reply if I have any luck with this.

Thank you,

Dean
Old 08-26-2014, 05:31 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

FWIW: "Passenger" should not be taken literally to mean the non driver. "Passenger" can mean the driver as well. I received a "Passenger restraint" error on my '04 545i and the culprit was the driver side door module.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Can you clairify which light is on? You mention the above light and when your daughter sits in the car it goes out. This also sounds to me that it's working correctly on your 04. Now if you have the message in your iDrive screen, then for sure you have a fault. I can tell you for sure a dealer most likely will not reset your light unless they make the repair. There probably is some liabilty behind that. You might have luck with a Indy shop resting the light, but if there is a fault, it will illuminate again. Then you have to consider the reason for the light beingiluminated in the first place. There are a lot of different things that can cause an error. Some semi cheap and other very expensive to repair. Personally, I would want to know exactly why its on, or if the AB it will work at all if and when needed. You never know if that AB will be needed and the outcome of a crash if it doesn't deploy...
Old 08-26-2014, 08:38 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by Deano
I appreciate the responses.

I've read recently that an under-charged battery will cause the error code, and disconnecting the battery could reset the code. I charged the battery and then disconnected it for ~30min's but to no avail. I have on order a seat pad sensor bypass gizmo from the UK for ~$40. Of course My state inspection is at the end of the month and I'll be risking a ticket/fine until the gizmo comes in. Still have to have the dealer erase the code.

I will certainly try softening the leather (It's overdue anyways). I'll be thrilled if it works.

I'll reply if I have any luck with this.

Thank you,

Dean
Are u getting the passenger restraint limiter fault error ? This is the error I got . And as we have mentioned there is multiple causes for the same idrive error . Also previously had the Matt sensor recall done at 50,000 and at 100,000 the error went off again . Thought it was ironic that at another 50 ,000 it went off again .. But like I said it was not module related it was the actuall Matt sensor ... So if your issue is module rated the saddle soap won't work .

That said ,,, what I did was got some saddle soap mixed with leather conditioner and lathered it up . Put on a thick coat 4 or 5 times for a couple days . Let the car sit for over a week .. Finally the error cleared after a couple attempts with BMWhat app.. Since then it has not came back .. Here is my thread on bimmerfest ,, it got a little heated for a bit . But some one posted a the actuall Matt sensor , once u see it how it's constructed . Also how it attaches to the seat with hug rings (that I found out ) it all makes sense .
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=768831

By the way a seat belt error will not reset itself by disconnecting the battery ,, you need a code reader that can clear the code ..

Last edited by H F; 08-26-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 AM
H F
New Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Take a look in your manual and it should tell you exactly the behavior of this light. I know of a pre LCI a the light is supposed to be on unless someone is in the seat and of proper requirements. Mine is a 08 LCI and the light is NOT supposed to be on when no one is in seat. If someone or something is in the seat and the requirements are not met the light comes on. In the morning the light is out and when I come home from work the light is on. HA! At home car is garaged and at work it's outside so the sun heats up the interior. Coming home I can often reach over and massage the top seat cover a little and the light will go out. So just as H.F said, it most likely due to the leather shrinkage. Also, on our 2013 F10, the light is on unless someone is in the seat. So it's opposite of what my e60 is. Take a look and read carefully your manual just to make sure.
You actually just rubbed the seat as you drove .. What gave u that idea ? In other words how did u figure that out ?

Last edited by H F; 08-26-2014 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: passenger seat restraint error message