E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:19 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i Manual Sport
Model Year: 2007
Engine: 4.8 L N62 V8
Default Passenger Restraint Malfunction

Hello fellow E60 owners

So i had this "passenger Restraint Malfunction" message on my dash for over a year. It doesnt look like the BMW will cover this under warranty do my E60s early production date. I'm tired of fighting with them i want to get this problem resolved.
I'm conflicted between to different resolutions.

It was recommended by my local mechanic to replace the BST positive cable. One of the fault codes that come up as 93B2. Is that going to solve this problem?

I was told by the Stealership that the seat mat sensor had to be replaced?

Which one is true.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:33 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Do some Googling on the code and it may very well be the BST.

But, the seat mat should be covered if that's what the dealer says is wrong. See this:
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs...V564-8482P.pdf

There is a recall on the seat mat for certain seat types and an extended warranty for the other seat types.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 AM
Members

Thanks for that recall letter. I will be sure to use it as reference when i talk to the stealership. They should have covered this at no charge.

As for BST cable, i probably should've changed it when i replaced the battery a few years ago.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: f10 535d M sport e46 330cic vert
Model Year: 2015

I've had the same Seat Mat Sensor BS on my 2004 530i for about two years. The damn Stealership won't do a damn thing for me......... If anyone knows how to remedy this in So Cal, Please let me know!
Old 01-20-2015, 05:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BMW BRAD
I've had the same Seat Mat Sensor BS on my 2004 530i for about two years. The damn Stealership won't do a damn thing for me......... If anyone knows how to remedy this in So Cal, Please let me know!
I've searched through several threads and its still unclear to me which is actually the cause of the problem. Anyone else have any input?
Old 01-20-2015, 07:02 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

As with many problems, it could be this or it could be that. I think the BST positive cable for your car is like $240. I'd say that if you've been to a BMW dealer and they diagnosed it as the passenger seat mat, you should go back there with the recall and warranty info and tell them to fix it. Now, in the end it may or may not fix the problem. But if it does, you are good to go. If it doesn't, either get them to change the BST or do it yourself. The BST at my local BMW dealer is $233 with my BMW CCA card. The labor is minor.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:13 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by twh
As with many problems, it could be this or it could be that. I think the BST positive cable for your car is like $240. I'd say that if you've been to a BMW dealer and they diagnosed it as the passenger seat mat, you should go back there with the recall and warranty info and tell them to fix it. Now, in the end it may or may not fix the problem. But if it does, you are good to go. If it doesn't, either get them to change the BST or do it yourself. The BST at my local BMW dealer is $233 with my BMW CCA card. The labor is minor.
^^^^ I DID tell them to fix it. They said, sure $1600.00 and they would be happy to fix it. I asked them for a "Good Will" repair, and I also brought up the recalls and they said we can not fix it under the recall, because my 2004 530i is not eligible. It is the seat mat sensor and not the BST cable. It was already recently replaced. Oh, and it has a new, registered battery. ^^^^
Old 01-20-2015, 06:32 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Yea, sorry about your model year. The OP model year is covered. In your case, I'd look into one of the seat mat bypass solutions. If your car thinks the seat is always occupied, the worst that happens is the air bag goes off and no one is in the seat. Just don't let a baby car seat be in the front.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by twh
Yea, sorry about your model year. The OP model year is covered. In your case, I'd look into one of the seat mat bypass solutions. If your car thinks the seat is always occupied, the worst that happens is the air bag goes off and no one is in the seat. Just don't let a baby car seat be in the front.

Hey bro, I guess I was just venting. I would like to find a local that can do a bypass solution. I would be happy to have this resolved permanently. I appreciate your thoughts.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:39 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by BMW BRAD
^^^^ I DID tell them to fix it. They said, sure $1600.00 and they would be happy to fix it. I asked them for a "Good Will" repair, and I also brought up the recalls and they said we can not fix it under the recall, because my 2004 530i is not eligible. It is the seat mat sensor and not the BST cable. It was already recently replaced. Oh, and it has a new, registered battery. ^^^^
Since you are positive its the matt sensor this is what i did.. to solve the issue on my car..

The matt sensor is a really super sensitive sensor . If the leather has not been conditioned it will shrink and contract , thus putting pressure on the matt and can cause the sensor to go off . I got this tip from a reliable source, a operations manager from the dealership I purchased my car from . I had already done the recall at 50,000 miles , then at 100,000 it went off again . So I went back to the dealer and wanted them to fix it .. He asked me to do him a favor and condition the leather, did it exactly how he said and then some . He also said thats what BMW said was the issue and to condition the leather . This is what they do at that dealership and had successfully done it on other cars .. He said try it and get back to me . I did and it worked..
I got some saddle soap and mixed it with lexol conditioner , lathered it up . I put a generous amount two or three coats on the seat for three or four days straight ,, let it set in four about 5 days or so . The oils in the saddle soap penetrates into the leather , softens it up and relaxes the tightness in the leather and releases pressure on the mat sensor.

I reset the error with BMWhat , it cleared after the third time , and it has not came back since .. Give it a try , you have nothing to lose but the error .

Edit : Just noticed your in Chino Hills ,, I'm out that way all the time .. If you like , I have everything you need . If you want to give it a shot , let me know ..

Last edited by H F; 01-21-2015 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint Malfunction