E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak 545i

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I was leaving the gym, I look under my car to a shiny spot in the parking spot, I grew uneasy and concerned. I bent down and dragged my finger though the spot only to find it is ladden with BMW High Performance motor oil. My heart suddenly sank. I promptly checked the oil. I found the level was low, but still good. I decide to grab some lunch and think about it. After an hour or so, I get the car over to my buddies shop. We get the car on ramps and begine to investigate. He is what we find:

The oil is coming from the front of the engine. Around the pan is perfectly clean. Higher up A/C is covered with oil, so are some of the surrounding lines. I think this is because of oil dripping onto the A/C belt. Looking higher up, we find the oil to be leaking no higher then the vacuum pump. This leads me to think the seal behind the pump is leaking.

My first plan is not to take it to the deal or a shop. I picked up the right internal torx socked set the other day. So I am going to order the o-ring. Pull the pump off. Clean everything from under the pump. Replace to o-ring and bolt it all back together.

Does this all sound logical?

I received no warnings from idrive about low oil (am I supposed too?) I thought these cars had an indiciator.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:04 PM
Members

Funny timing (or not). I have a 2004 545 and ran into the same problem. Slow leak, front end. I took it to the dealer this evening and they found it to be a leaking seal in the vacuum pump. Their solution was to replace the pump at a cost of $756.

If it is just an O-ring and reasonably accessible, I'd be interested as well. Have you found a source for the O-ring? Where is the pump located?
Old 12-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

All of a sudden so many 4.4's having oil leaks...
Old 12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Members

Yeah we will proably start seeing alot more of these motors show their age. They arn't even that old though. I mean 75k isn't that much.

The o-ring can be found at the dealer for between $5 and $7 depending on the dealer. I am picking up one tommorow. I had to order it in. So tommorow, I am going to take the pump off. While it is off, I am going to inspect the housing to make sure it isn't what is leaking. The vacuum housing has its own gasket that could leak as well and maybe that is why the dealer is tell you to replace the pump. I found the pump itself for $340. But asking over $700 to replace it is wrong. It is 3 bolts. They are internal torx bolts. I picked up a socket set at NAPA that should cover alot of sizes on this car. If it is the pump, I will still be under $400 including the tools.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:53 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dbond698' post='1073661' date='Dec 14 2009, 04:04 PM
Funny timing (or not). I have a 2004 545 and ran into the same problem. Slow leak, front end. I took it to the dealer this evening and they found it to be a leaking seal in the vacuum pump. Their solution was to replace the pump at a cost of $756.

If it is just an O-ring and reasonably accessible, I'd be interested as well. Have you found a source for the O-ring? Where is the pump located?

The pump is at the top right of the motor. Your left as you are facing the engine. Right behind the alumiumn coolant line and next to the thermostat. Its really easy to get too.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:33 AM
Members

Thanks and great info! Heading out of town for a couple days but will take a look when I get back or over the weekend - doesn't sound too difficult (for that kind of money).

Any idea whether this requires an oil drain or is it dry at rest?
Old 12-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Members

It "shouldn't" I highly doubt the oil is filled up by the cam gears. At least is shouldn't. I will report back this evening.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Hmm, I've got a 4.4 in the garage too, I wonder if I should be concerned??
Old 12-15-2009, 04:27 PM
Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='1074030' date='Dec 15 2009, 09:06 AM
Hmm, I've got a 4.4 in the garage too, I wonder if I should be concerned??
It is not something that I saw looking at the top of the motor. But I got the new ring today. Pulling the pump is a PITA. The power steering line is really hard to mess with. The bracket is bolted on in 3 places. I tweaked the line upward a a few mm's to gain access with a short extension for the bolts on the pump. I had to undo the PS resivoir to allow enough movement to pull the pump out. The pump is inside the motor almost 2" or so. So keep that in mind when dealing with the lines in front.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Members

So did that fix the oil leak in your case? Did the original O-ring look damaged/torn?

Trying to decide if I should just order an O ring and try that route first. Thanks again for being the guinea pig!

Quick Reply: oil leak 545i