E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leaking (E60)

Old 01-02-2014, 04:36 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by DavaiLave
Quick update on this, over year after the BMW dealer identified this issue I haven't had any further issues. I never got it addressed, and recently had my car back at the dealer and during the general inspection they made no mention of it this time.
Likely because they mentioned it to you before, see that it's still leaking today, and deduce that you have no intention of having it addressed. I can assure you that if it was in fact leaking a year ago it is most definitely still leaking.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

KyleB, under normal circumstances I would agree 100% with what you said, but in my post I forgot to indicate that the BMW dealer I took the car to this time is a different BMW dealer than the original one.

On a side note, apparently the BMW dealers do not share service information on vehicles which are out of warranty. In other words, if you have some work done out of warranty at one BMW dealer, then ask for your service history at another BMW dealer, they won't actually see that work.

However, they will see anything that was done under warranty. At least this is what my service advisor told me.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:51 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 Bi-Fuel Business Navigation Park distance control Sunroof extended airco with armrest 18" M5 rims with Runflats xbox with 2 headrests LCD front LCD video enabled Detachable towbar Alarm anti-blind rearview mirror Adaptive Xenon Bluetooth carkit Garage door opener integrated Headlight cleaning system Seat heating front

Replacing this gasket is a lot of work, i'm currently changing it and it costs me 5 hours till now..and I still have to install the gasket :-)
Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 535i M Sport
Model Year: 2010

I did it on Friday and it is a bit harder to do than it looks but the good news is that everything goes back together much faster than it came apart. It took me longer than expected due to three dumb-ass mistakes. I dropped the Torx socket twice (fell off the extension) and it took me forever to find it the second time and I had an unexpected amount of oil gush out of the oil cooler lines when I removed them. I probably spent 30 minutes cleaning up the mess only to have even more come out after accidentally tilting the lines down again while removing the housing.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I just did this yesteday on my 530i (M54). Total time was about 2 hours. Very simple to do, amazing how much oil was leaking from this point. gasket costs about $6. Other than the obvious things that are pointed out in the DIY threads floating around the internet, I'll add that taking an extra 10 minutes to remove the fan assembly makes it SOOOOOOO much easier. After working on this car several times I now believe that step one on almost any E60 engine bay repair should be: 1 - remove fan assembly.
Old 01-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
After working on this car several times I now believe that step one on almost any E60 engine bay repair should be: 1 - remove fan assembly.
I know it's quick and easy on some E60's but it's more complicated on the 535i thanks to the oil cooler and some rather hard to reach mounting brackets and hose clamps. The cooler is mounted to the front of the shroud and the lines pass through it. It took me over an hour to remove it the first time.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I just replaced mine on my 535 and all seems ok. There are a total of three sections that need to be checked for leaks. The front main seal cover, O rings on the inlet outlet tubes and the main seal to engine block. I only needed to replace the cover seal and I replaced o rings just because.

I took pictures so will put together a DIY for the N54. When searching for a DIY, it was difficult to find clear instructions. There are quite a few different engines and the housing is not the same. Questions seem to start out as how to change but shortly after different engines come into play making it a little confusing. The N54 is very straight forward and I would say is the easiest to replace.

Last edited by tonyb635; 01-06-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 04:59 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530 xi

Originally Posted by DanL
I did it on Friday and it is a bit harder to do than it looks but the good news is that everything goes back together much faster than it came apart. It took me longer than expected due to three dumb-ass mistakes. I dropped the Torx socket twice (fell off the extension) and it took me forever to find it the second time and I had an unexpected amount of oil gush out of the oil cooler lines when I removed them. I probably spent 30 minutes cleaning up the mess only to have even more come out after accidentally tilting the lines down again while removing the housing.
LOL, Dam I was trying to kill that bug on my computer!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 03:46 AM
Members

Originally Posted by augustomf
lol, dam i was trying to kill that bug on my computer!!!:d
Old 04-02-2014, 07:17 PM
New Members

My Ride: 06 530xi 144K black saphire metalic, Nav, Prem, upgraded sndou

I have this same issue on my 06 530xi, I'm going to get a second, maybe a third opinion but from this thread sounds like it needs to be addressed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Filter Housing Gasket Leaking (E60)