E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

not able to un-mute stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60
Model Year: 2005
Default not able to un-mute stereo

Hey guys, hopefully someone has a fix for this. So after work I get in my car and notice the radio or speaker symbol has a slash through it, assuming that is mute. Whatever I do I can't unmute it. I tried pushing the radio sound button a couple of times to no results. Ejected the dash cd and re-inserting, it doesn't play, it just sits at the first song.
I if I hit any of the steering wheel buttons, it ask for options and menu, so there is sound coming from the speakers.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or reset it? I've read about the radio power button and the eject buttons being pressed down at the same time to reset this. Is this the only fix?
Old 06-05-2014, 06:08 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Boost7
Hey guys, hopefully someone has a fix for this. So after work I get in my car and notice the radio or speaker symbol has a slash through it, assuming that is mute. Whatever I do I can't unmute it. I tried pushing the radio sound button a couple of times to no results. Ejected the dash cd and re-inserting, it doesn't play, it just sits at the first song.
I if I hit any of the steering wheel buttons, it ask for options and menu, so there is sound coming from the speakers.

Any suggestions on how to fix this or reset it? I've read about the radio power button and the eject buttons being pressed down at the same time to reset this. Is this the only fix?
Hi there, recently I had the same issue. I had to do the i-drive reset procedure to restore it to working order.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:27 AM
Members
Senior Members

Strangely it's working again today. I didn't want to reset the entire system if it wasn't necessary, but it's working now. Let see if it comes back again, then I might have to do the entire reset.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i

How exactly does one reset the idrive system entirely? My vehicle is doing the exact same thing
Old 06-13-2014, 08:21 AM
Members

Originally Posted by damian
How exactly does one reset the idrive system entirely? My vehicle is doing the exact same thing
you push in volume button while simultaneously pressing both the CD and DVD eject buttons on the pro system.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:32 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i

No dvd system in the car
Old 08-30-2014, 01:46 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i
Default muted and can't unmute or manually set stations

I have had the same icon showing with no audio output for over a year now, I have read hundreds of post and still haven't found a solution yet. a lot of guys have replaced the logic 7 amp ($500-$1,000 used) twice as much for new?
I have read about the reset holding eject and volume button ( no dvd on mine either) no change.

I have tried the disconnect neg. battery cable for 3 minutes --no change!

I just read about a MOST ring reset by removing a jumper in the top of the glove box, I never heard the jumper was there and car is 30 miles from me today but I will check it out tomorrow, nothing has helped, my car got water intrusion (which seems to be a common detail with a lot of the so called amp failures), I just read about 2 fiber optic modules under the carpet that get wet and cause the same symptoms will check this out also!

I just don't think all of us have the same problem and it isn't something simple like a software update or some kind of reset? I am sure lots of people have been taken by dealers saying they replaced the amps ect... and really they just did some kind of programming or reset?

anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-30-2014, 09:31 PM
Members
Senior Members

james - sorry to hear about your issue that has been lingering for over a year. I would of dug deeper to fix the issue, as I commute with my car everyday and would be bored to death if I didn't have any kind of music. Plus knowing something is broken on my car would drive me crazy...yea, it's the OCD side kicking in.
Hopefully you find a fix soon, good luck buddy.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:50 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Thanks, we had a house. Fire. Then our.Son passed away a year later and due to not Having a garage anymore a lot of other things have higher priority, but due to fire and water damage I have gotten most things fixed and working except radio, passenger restraint not working alarm which just. Came on, and repaint several panels.
I just started researching once again and it just bothers me that these overpriced autos have
questionsso many problems with no easy fixes, and the dealers want way too much to repair and they really don't seem to know how to repair them. I also want to help others find. Solutions too.

Last edited by james69z28; 09-01-2014 at 04:51 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-02-2014, 01:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

since it was in a fire and probably some water damage too, you will be better off finding some newer parts and swapping them out. Find a wreck car that has the similar stereo and ask to buy out all the steroe parts for cheap, then start swapping out things if you really want sound again.

Fire + Water in your car = a lot of dead parts

Quick Reply: not able to un-mute stereo