E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Non-wagon or sedan specific 5 series questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 07:48 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530 xiT
Default Non-wagon or sedan specific 5 series questions

Alright, let's try this again. We just bought an '07 530 for the wife this weekend and I have a couple of NON-WAGON OR SEDAN RELATED questions I'm hoping someone can help me with, as all my Bimmer experience is with the 3 series. This is our first 5 series.

1. The chrome on the auto shift lever is flaking off and looks like crap. Can I swap in an shift lever from an e90? Or is the auto shifter for the e60/e61 different from the e90? I know everyone seems to think the SMG lever is the bees knees, but I don't. I think it looks kinda goofy. Just a personal preference.

2. It's got snow tires on the factory (sport package) 18s so I'm going to be putting some new wheels on it in the spring. Thinking of going with 20s, but am wondering if anyone is running a square setup with 245/35/20 tires. If so any major rubbing issues at stock height?

Those are 3/4" larger in diameter than the 18s on it now, and since we won't be lowering it I think that will help fill the wheel wells a tad and provide a slightly better ride than a 30 series 20" tire will.

Thanks a million 5 series gurus! Look forward to being an active part of this community!
Old 12-22-2015, 09:07 AM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

On my 535 XIT, the chrome was also flaking off the shifter. I think this is a common issue with the first cars that came out with the plastic chromed shifter. There is a repair kit on REALOEM and also GETBMWPARTS.com. On my car, I took off the shifter and removed all the chrome and wrapped it with Carbon Fiber 3M vinyl. It looks good with it and just to put another piece to make it match, I wrapped the shifter cover right below it. Sorry, I can't post a picture, as I do not have any of the photo storing accounts.

I have 18" tires and wheels on a square setup with coilovers, so I cannot answer your 20" question.

Last edited by RIHI; 12-22-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:48 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by RIHI
On my 535 XIT, the chrome was also flaking off the shifter. I think this is a common issue with the first cars that came out with the plastic chromed shifter. There is a repair kit on REALOEM and also GETBMWPARTS.com. On my car, I took off the shifter and removed all the chrome and wrapped it with Carbon Fiber 3M vinyl. It looks good with it and just to put another piece to make it match, I wrapped the shifter cover right below it. Sorry, I can't post a picture, as I do not have any of the photo storing accounts.

I have 18" tires and wheels on a square setup with coilovers, so I cannot answer your 20" question.
Thanks for your response. I thought about doing a Dinoc CF wrap on all the wood trim and the shift knob, but the wife shot that idea down. She likes the wood for some reason. Might just buy a new chrome one and call it down, though I really prefer the brushed silver knobs on the 3 series cars I've owned.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:24 AM
New Members

Any other feedback on the shifter?

Found my answer about the tires and will definitely be going with 245/35/20s. Shouldn't have any issues at all at stock height.
Old 12-28-2015, 12:02 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW

I only did the chrome part of the shifter., I, too, like my wood trim and wouldn't think of covering it up. There is a DiNoc vinyl that might closely resemble the shifter color. Other than that, there is nothing else that can be done for it other than wrap it, paint it (no recommended) or replace it.