E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

What A fark'in Mess!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '06 550i '84 Nissan S12 Turbo

So I decided to change my oil today, which I have done several times now on this car. Thought it would be the typical oil change, like any other time, but was I wrong! First it started out that the drain plug on the filter housing was stripped and I couldn't get it out. I thought "no biggie" and put the car on the ground and drove to the dealer. Find out that a new drain plug for the housing would be a special order, but they had the filter housing in stock which comes with the drain plug. $30 later I leave the dealer with a new filter housing. Get back to the house, and proceed with the oil change. Now for the fun part. I got done, cranked up the car and within 4-5 secs the oil light came on. I quickly shut the engine off, and looked under the car. A huge sea of oil! Apparently I cross threaded the new oil filter housing putting it back on the car and when I cranked the engine, the pressure blew the housing right off. I ran inside and grabbed the kitty litter, and now I am waiting for my wife to come home with 9 more qts of BMW oil and more kitty litter. Upon inspection of the new oil filter housing, the threads are all jacked up. I was able to get the drain plug out of the old housing, so back on it went with the new drain plug......what a waste of a day, not to mention the $$ wasted
Old 11-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Sorry about your troubles, something similar happened to me the first time I changed my oil. I opened the panel where the drain plug is, removed drain plug and the oil shot past the opening down the entire length of the car on the underbody panels and created a huge puddle infront of my right rear wheel. What a mess!!! Luckily it was the old oil. Good luck on the cleanup
Old 11-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

just noticed there is oil dripping down out of the belly pan towards the back of the car. What a nightmare. I may have to drop the whole pan down to clean up the mess.....keeps getting better
Old 11-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

Well on the bright side you have basically just flushed your engine... I bet the brand new oil didn't really look all that clean did it?
Old 11-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cleung
Well on the bright side you have basically just flushed your engine... I bet the brand new oil didn't really look all that clean did it?
didn't look all that dirty either...except for floating the cat litter...lol
Old 11-18-2010, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

Got the oil in and sprayed the top of the belly pan off the best I could. I still may have to pull the belly pan off and wipe everything down.....anyone know how easy the pan is to get off? Simple I hope
Old 11-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Perhaps next time you'll try Jiffy-Lube?? It would be cheaper too as you wouldn't need new parts either!! I hope it gets sorted out quickly!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by flyingpuck
Perhaps next time you'll try Jiffy-Lube?? It would be cheaper too as you wouldn't need new parts either!! I hope it gets sorted out quickly!
Jiffy lube...yeah right. I don't even trust the dealer. I'll keep doing it myself...hopefully this won't happen again. I didn't look at the new filter housing, but I'm wondering if the threads were already messed up. I've never had a problem with the original housing going on right

Search this Thread