E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

need sound system help or programming help

Old 03-21-2015, 02:29 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i
Default need sound system help or programming help

I need help with the sound system in my 2004 545i.

it was in a house fire in the garage 2 years ago, so it was exposed to high heat and water from the fire trucks. I repaired everything except the sound system won't work.

I re-insulated all the wires that melted, from the back seat to the trunk, including all the coax cables ( the best I could) from the cell phone controller and to the sharks fin circuit board. still no sound and the entertainment section of the I drive was going crazy when trying to set station presets.
A couple of months later I got in and started the car and the sound came on for 5 min. until I touched the mute button on the dash, now the mute icon came on and the I-drive screen is going crazy when you are trying to set stations.

It has been this way for months, so I decided to buy a used M ASK unit and installed it because it was cheaper than the Logic 7 Amp in the trunk. the car then shows that the M ASK is not programmed right, so I bought the 4 software programs for repairing these cars and I managed to reprogram the MASK to match the car. I could then set the station presets like normal but the mute icon can't be turned off and still no sound. about a week later still no sound and showing a mute icon and the I drive screen is again going crazy when trying to set the radio stations (just attempting to get sound out of it) this put me back to where I was months ago!

Here's the weird part, my wife told me last week that the radio has been coming on and playing when she first starts the car in the morning but after a time period it shuts itself off like it is on a timer? (it plays for varying time periods with no rhyme or reason)?

I have attempted several times to get sound but none for me? I thought about it and the only difference is she uses a different key so today I used her key no good. so we start getting her to sit in the drivers seat and start the car every time we leave a place and still no music? Then we go to see our granddaughter play a ball game and after the car sat in the parking lot for 2 hours my wife gets in and starts it up and the radio starts playing, it played for about 5 min. then went off, I then just let the car idle and started playing with the I drive controls to set the station presets and it worked like a new car, but still can't get any sound, the display does show the 1st preset channel like it is playing and there is no mute icon but still no sound?

This scenario tells me that maybe there is some kind of programming error because the keys have different reactions, maybe my cars software can be updated and it would clear all this up but I don't know how to reprogram it or where to get the program. It also tells me that my logic 7 Amp. and wiring and speakers are OK.

has anyone ever experienced this or anyone have any answers? I can live without a radio we have done this for 2 years now but I know I don't have a lot of work to go to get it working and that is driving me crazy, I want to get it working, this cars is not very nice like it was before the fire and I still have to repaint it due to the flaked up and burnt paint but it only has about 20,000 miles on it and it still drives and runs great. I just know these cars have so many electronic and computer programming issues on their own without any help from the high heat of a fire, but I am so close to getting music!

Thanks ahead of time for any help or ideas.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:45 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The intermittent audio sounds like an internal problem with your Logic7 amplifier. Even if it shows up as working normally during diagnostic scans, it could have damaged capacitors or transistors that will kill the speaker outputs. Also, if you had a higher audio system before, the new radio may not be compatible with the idrive controller. I plugged a force feedback idrive controller from a 545 into the m-ask unit in my 525 and it would not work properly.