E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Need help with N62 engine and multiple codes...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 12:43 PM
H F
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by sxybeemr

We have not done a full test plan using DIS and we are unaware how to proceed with that... We will be searching the web to see how to do that without messing up the system on the car(or messing it up more than it already is... LOL!) Thank you for that idea! We will give it a try!
Here is a DIS pdf manual , it will help in running a full test plan . Actually there is not much you can screw up, its diagnostic .
Attached Files

Last edited by H F; 09-09-2015 at 12:46 PM.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

First and foremost, I can not thank you guys enough for all the help and ideas from everyone so far. It is appreciated more than words can say! Is is awesome to be able to brainstorm with others that can also appreciate or hate how finiky these cars can be at times...

To answer some of the questions, the car was not being driven prior to us purchasing it. We have no way of knowing how long the car has been sitting for, but probably more than a few weeks as the fuel coming out of it when we tested the rails was old and varnished. The two cars were purchased from the same guy. The guy got into an accident with his vehicle and bought the one we will be keeping with a messed up engine as he was going to use the parts from it to fix the cosmetic damage on his own vehicle. He didn't get a chance to get to it, and therefore was selling both vehicles as a "package". One with a messed up front end(cosmetic damage only but working engine). The other with a "blown engine" or so we were told.... He bought the car with the blown engine from some other guy "as is" and he was told it would need a new engine and relayed the same info to us....He mentioned that the prior owner told him that he blew the engine from oil starvation. That's all we know. The coils and spark plugs were sitting in the trunk of the car when we purchased the vehicle so we can only imagine that someone already worked on it to try and figure out what's wrong with the vehicle but most likely gave up on it...

The car always sounded like this since we were able to start it after syncing the EWS with the DME. We were unable to start the car prior to syncing it.

I know that all those codes showing up on INPA showed up at 226 064 km. The car currently has 226 069 km. Not sure how the car rolled the 5 additional km...

My boyfriend confirmed that the battery we are using has the same specs, and we also registered the battery to the car.

Also, I am not sure if that's of any importance or if it could be related or not... but when we turn the key in the ignition, the I-drive is stuck on the BMW home screen and will not work. The radio also won't turn on at all...

Our next move will be to do a full test plan using DIS. Thank you HF for the PDF manual! We will certainly look into it over the week end and will update you guys once a full test plan is done using DIS. We hope this will tell us a little more about what could be the potential issues here....

Sorry for not responding earlier. We have been keeping very busy lately. Again, thank you so much for all the responses!! We will give another update this week end after doing the full test plan using DIS.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:41 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Our next move will be to do a full test plan using DIS. Thank you HF for the PDF manual! We will certainly look into it over the week end and will update you guys once a full test plan is done using DIS. We hope this will tell us a little more about what could be the potential issues here....
Your welcome happy to help .. One thing I suggest is to hook up a battery charger ( not a battery tender )while your running the test plan . It sucks when the battery dies on you while your in the middle of diagnoses . Dont hook it up to the battery , instead hook up to the jump start terminal under the hood .

For the radio check for a blown fuse ..
Old 09-10-2015, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 292 Likes on 281 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

This is what forums are for (to help someone when they have issues).

I would do a soft reset first with the iDrive. I think you press the Mute/Volume button and the CD and DVD eject buttons at the same time (if no DVD just the CD eject and mute button). Being that it is showing a pic on the screen the fuse seems to be fine. If the fuse had blown you would have a blank screen at least that is what happen to mine when the fuse blew.

Best of luck on the diag
Old 09-21-2015, 07:34 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

Hello everyone. I just wanted to check in and let you guys know that my boyfriend did the full test plan using DIS and the first codes that came up were misfires on multiple cylinders. There was also a code stating there are multiple misfires, and a cam shaft code.

Edit: My boyfriend has been playing with the car here and there. He just confirmed there are only 3 codes now... 2781 camshaft sensor inlet, 2782 camshaft sensor outlet and code 27b6 control inlet vanos bank 2...

No other codes are present. Also, upon closer inspection of the car, he discovered that it looks like the oil pan bottomed out on something or the car jumped something like a curb or who knows… It makes sense, since we were told that the engine died of oil starvation and the oil pan is all banged up…

Also, for the I-drive, I checked all the fuses in the car(trunk and the ones located in the glove box) and all the fuses are good. I did try the reset trick for the I-drive and the screen went blank for a few seconds. The system restarted and I have the same screen with the bmw letters on it... It just appears to be frozen on that screen… I guess that should be the least of my concerns at this point...

In the meantime, since the car can’t move an inch, I’ve been cleaning it up. I changed the front seats for the M5 active seats(I love those seats). I’ve steamed cleaned all the carpets/floor since the seats were out so it was a perfect opportunity for a nice clean up. I’ve also installed a roof spoiler and a trunk spoiler. I’ve changed the BMW emblems on the trunk and the hood since the existing ones were destroyed. The car also had 3M stickers on the hood and both fenders to protect it from stone chips, and I have been working many hours at peeling it off little by little using a heat gun. The 3M stickers on the hood and fenders were all scratched up; it appeared as if someone had sanded the 3M stickers on the hood and both fenders, and I have discovered that the passenger side fender was clear-coated on top of the 3M sticker(talk about a butcher job) so I have a nice solid line of clear coat where the 3M sticker ended on that fender which we will fix. My fingers are covered in nasty blisters from peeling the 3M stickers but I am almost done(a few more inches on the hood but I have to let the blisters heal a little before I can keep on going)…. The headlight were also sanded by the previous owner so we will have to clear coat that... We've also picked up an M5 front bumper for my car over the week end and I can't wait to see it painted on the car. I have also ordered black kidney grills for the front and can't wait to get them...

Now, we just have to resuscitate the poor car and make it work like it should… We’re hoping that our persistence will pay off.

Last edited by sxybeemr; 09-22-2015 at 09:36 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:00 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i
Default Did you ever get the car running

Hello everyone. I just wanted to check in and let you guys know that my boyfriend did the full test plan using DIS and the first codes that came up were misfires on multiple cylinders. There was also a code stating there are multiple misfires, and a cam shaft code.

Edit: My boyfriend has been playing with the car here and there. He just confirmed there are only 3 codes now... 2781 camshaft sensor inlet, 2782 camshaft sensor outlet and code 27b6 control inlet vanos bank 2...

No other codes are present. Also, upon closer inspection of the car, he discovered that it looks like the oil pan bottomed out on something or the car jumped something like a curb or who knows… It makes sense, since we were told that the engine died of oil starvation and the oil pan is all banged up…

Also, for the I-drive, I checked all the fuses in the car(trunk and the ones located in the glove box) and all the fuses are good. I did try the reset trick for the I-drive and the screen went blank for a few seconds. The system restarted and I have the same screen with the bmw letters on it... It just appears to be frozen on that screen… I guess that should be the least of my concerns at this point...

In the meantime, since the car can’t move an inch, I’ve been cleaning it up. I changed the front seats for the M5 active seats(I love those seats). I’ve steamed cleaned all the carpets/floor since the seats were out so it was a perfect opportunity for a nice clean up. I’ve also installed a roof spoiler and a trunk spoiler. I’ve changed the BMW emblems on the trunk and the hood since the existing ones were destroyed. The car also had 3M stickers on the hood and both fenders to protect it from stone chips, and I have been working many hours at peeling it off little by little using a heat gun. The 3M stickers on the hood and fenders were all scratched up; it appeared as if someone had sanded the 3M stickers on the hood and both fenders, and I have discovered that the passenger side fender was clear-coated on top of the 3M sticker(talk about a butcher job) so I have a nice solid line of clear coat where the 3M sticker ended on that fender which we will fix. My fingers are covered in nasty blisters from peeling the 3M stickers but I am almost done(a few more inches on the hood but I have to let the blisters heal a little before I can keep on going)…. The headlight were also sanded by the previous owner so we will have to clear coat that... We've also picked up an M5 front bumper for my car over the week end and I can't wait to see it painted on the car. I have also ordered black kidney grills for the front and can't wait to get them...

Now, we just have to resuscitate the poor car and make it work like it should… We’re hoping that our persistence will pay off.

Did you ever get car going
Old 06-20-2023, 10:13 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: BMW E60 545i n62b44 2004r
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62b44
Default BMW E60 n62b44 engine

Hey do you resolv problem with Ur BMW? I have that same problem