E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on which repairs are priority

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 07:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Default Need advice on which repairs are priority

So I got my 2008 550i Sport 133k a couple weeks ago and love the car. Come to find out though it needs some work. Which I expected but I need to kniw which problems are more serious then others.

A visual inspection by a well respected shop showed these things. I put prices they want next to them.

Drive belts- $265 lol for belts!
Brake flush- $141
Transmission service- $722 (Ended up doing this by myself in 30 minutes only paying $120)
The infamous alternator bracket seal(Biggest current oil leak)- $1069
Valve covers- $2300 (Shop guy said they warp after 100k but also said not leaking that bad)
Radius arm bushings- $520 (He showed me them and they were slightly cracked)
Diff seals- $365 not leaking bad

Upon scanning the car myself I found these issues.

Gear selector switch
Steering angle plausibility(lights come on rarely)
Some AC sensors

So what do you guys think really needs to be done here and what can I live with?
Old 10-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06 550i
Model Year: 06

Belts and oil leaks are first.

Brake flush shouldn't be hard to diy.

What transmission service did you do in 30mins for $120?

Also what's the complete maintenance history of the car? If you don't have it you're looking at even more expensive repairs coming up.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:43 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport

Im curious as to why you say oil leaks first considering how little oil is actually coming out?

I really wish I had the service records for the car but I dont. The indy did say he saw many parts that looked brand new (coolant stuff and suspension) so I assume the car has at least had somebody taking care of it. Plus it drives great except for a low idle.

I replaced the fluid and pan/filter on the ZF transmission. No flush just drain fluid and replace. Filter/pan was only $60 something thanks to my father in law who owns transmission shop.
Old 10-28-2016, 03:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

If your father in law owns a transmission shop that means you have unlimited access to a lift I assume? that's like 75% of the battle right there.

DIY everything.

If that were my car, I'd do the drive belts first, then I'd take care of the oil leaks in order of severity and probably skip the diff altogether (for now).

When you do the bushings, just buy a whole new control arm. It's easier and if it's original (likely) that means you have 133K on the ball joint as well.

good luck with the car.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: M5 SMG
Model Year: 2006

Do the oil seal. Mine was leaking, and after a long trip, totally failed while I was driving to work. You may want to see how much more it would be to replace all the seals since they are already into the engine. My indy in CT did it all for $1600 two years ago, and my 05 545 has been leak free since. I am surprised that that you are not having any coolant leaks. If you do, looking into bimmerfix.com, a really good a cheap way to fix your coolant pipe.