E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

N62 engine occasional ping/knock when starting

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 03:43 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62
Default N62 engine occasional ping/knock when starting

For quite some time now when starting the engine hot or cold there is an engine "knock" or "ping" sound happening just once at the first stroke of the engine, it's loud enough to also sound like a motor mount has gone south, car has exhibited this nasty habit now since I owned the car and as it now is more often than sporadically am getting concerned to the point of wanting to know what it is and how to fix/eliminate it or is this something all 545's sound like sometime?
Used to get the occasional misfire code from cyl. #4 and have since replaced that spark plug some time ago, no more misfire codes but the "clunk" when starting engine still occurs.

Would like some feedback from other past and present 545 drivers, if this is a "feature" or do I have something else to fix?

Would love to hear any suggestions..
Old 05-21-2015, 07:08 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i & 2000 528i

Hi cmyachtie,

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions. But I do have the same loud knock at start-up as you describe, i.e. almost like a bad motor or trans mount. I would be very interested in what you find out.

For now I have to deal with my water pump which went from having a tiny bit of play last weekend to fully letting go on the ride home yesterday!! Very embarrassing riding through my little home town in the flatbed with my car on back! :-( I've had the car for almost a year now and this is the first real problem.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:10 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by turbineguy
Hi cmyachtie,

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions. But I do have the same loud knock at start-up as you describe, i.e. almost like a bad motor or trans mount. I would be very interested in what you find out.
Thanks for your reply,

Must be a Canadian thingy heh....LOL

Have posted this on two of the most heavyly attended forums and NADA response on this knocking, strange I must say, I always figured it was normal but thought I'd shout out here and there but we must be the only ones....
Good luck with you waterpump situation!

Never could figure why BMW seems unable to have decent waterpumps on their cars....
Old 05-24-2015, 02:57 PM
New Members

OK replaced all 8 sparkplugs and after starting it today about 6 times during my trip still,got the crazy knocking once so eliminate the plugs as the cause.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:15 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by turbineguy
Hi cmyachtie,

For now I have to deal with my water pump which went from having a tiny bit of play last weekend to fully letting go on the ride home yesterday!! Very embarrassing riding through my little home town in the flatbed with my car on back! :-( I've had the car for almost a year now and this is the first real problem.
Call me stupid .......but have figured out what this knocking noise is when starting it's the steering wheel moving down(Comfort Access) I guess. I drive with my wheel all the way down and When I get in the car it is in the upper default position, after turning the ignition on the second (starting position), it moves down and that provides me wth that noise, kind of a "doh" moment for me....
Anyone else experience this?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:47 AM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Is it a rumble squeaky , creaky type sound as the wheel goes down ? Sorta like an old creaky door ?
Old 06-20-2015, 04:54 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by H F
Is it a rumble squeaky , creaky type sound as the wheel goes down ? Sorta like an old creaky door ?
No squeak, just this "clunking" sound, easily confused with a misfire......
When Iget a chance am gonna try to fit myself in the footwell and have a look down there, just not one of those "gotta fix it right away" .
Maybe should post a video to get the sound here.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Members

My Ride: black 2004 e60----comfort package, light package, tinted windows, custom coded features

Mine has been doing the same thing for quite a while now. It sounds like the whole steering column needs a good lube job.