E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

N52 engine problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 07:54 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 E60
Default N52 engine problem, help with N52 to N52 swap

Hello everyone,
I have a 2007 530i with engine problem. It has 140k miles.My car started to misfire, checked the codes and it was cylinder 6, there is no compression at cylinder 6. I haven't opened up the engine to see what is wrong with it. I am just to swap the engine with a used engine.I have been searching for engines and they are in $3k range with low miles.
Now, my question is that which engine can I use, I see that E90 N52s are cheaper than E60. I wouldn't mind swapping the parts, just want it to work. I just want to know if all N52 engine are compatible. Also, Can I use the 528 engine since it has upgraded head(no ticking). I will be doing all the work myself. Also, I was thinking of buying parts car so I can use the engine and sell the rest of parts.
I would really appreciate if you can help me out.

Last edited by rizwan1377; 02-15-2016 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Changing in title
Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 E60 530i 6 Speed Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N52

why dont you just fix it? i mean how bad could it be? Swapping engine seems overkill no?
Old 02-12-2016, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

This wikipedia link should give you some guidance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N52

Of course as with anything published on that site you need to check the article for reference.

I think that there are differences among the engines installed in the various models; e.g. the camshaft and/or inlet manifold might be different. You might also need to transfer the engine controller over along with the engine itself if you go outside of the 2006/2007 E60.
Old 02-12-2016, 05:03 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi

It's not uncommon for the valvetrain to fail, preventing the valves from sealing properly. This would mean a new head, or maybe just a repair. I think an engine swap is a little heavy handed given what you've shared this far. Also, there are differences between the n52s in different platforms.
Old 02-13-2016, 03:29 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Andrew06
It's not uncommon for the valvetrain to fail, preventing the valves from sealing properly. This would mean a new head, or maybe just a repair. I think an engine swap is a little heavy handed given what you've shared this far. Also, there are differences between the n52s in different platforms.
I have discussed it with few people and have been told that i would need BMW special tools for timing chain and others and its seems bit complicated . I am sure the valves are bent & head needs to be repaired or replaced. So that is why i am hesitant to tear apart the motor. So the best route for me is to swap the engine with a used one. So, i have decided to stick with N52B30 so it is a direct swap, so i dont have to deal with swapping the ECU or what not.
Correct me if i am wrong, As far my research goes, 06-07 525/530 and 06-07 325 or 330 has the same motor(N52B30) but have different intake manifolds.
Again, i really appreciate all the help.Thank you
Old 02-15-2016, 06:53 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by rizwan1377
I have discussed it with few people and have been told that i would need BMW special tools for timing chain and others and its seems bit complicated . I am sure the valves are bent & head needs to be repaired or replaced. So that is why i am hesitant to tear apart the motor. So the best route for me is to swap the engine with a used one. So, i have decided to stick with N52B30 so it is a direct swap, so i dont have to deal with swapping the ECU or what not.
Correct me if i am wrong, As far my research goes, 06-07 525/530 and 06-07 325 or 330 has the same motor(N52B30) but have different intake manifolds.
Again, i really appreciate all the help.Thank you
I see, maybe your right, i don't imagine it's fun to spend time in the head of these compicated motors. The 30 series motors do have the better intake manifold, i'm unsure if it's 3 stage or continuously variable, but just reuse the intake from your engine. The 25 series engines have a lesser intake, and no oil cooler, so you'd have to reuse your oil filter housing and cooler. I'm sure you know this, but make sure to replace the blue top fasteners, they are aluminum, and many are not reuseable. Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2016, 03:00 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Andrew06
I see, maybe your right, i don't imagine it's fun to spend time in the head of these compicated motors. The 30 series motors do have the better intake manifold, i'm unsure if it's 3 stage or continuously variable, but just reuse the intake from your engine. The 25 series engines have a lesser intake, and no oil cooler, so you'd have to reuse your oil filter housing and cooler. I'm sure you know this, but make sure to replace the blue top fasteners, they are aluminum, and many are not reuseable. Good Luck!
Thanks for the help. I did knew about the intake and the blue top bolts but not the oil cooler, but hoping it is a direct swap.

So actually today i bought the 2006 325i with the N52. It has front end damage. I got it for less than $1000. Has 100k miles, Salvage title and came with no keys, I know!! I guess, i will have to take the risk. The guy who i got it from, has a yard and uses cars for body parts. Even if the engine is bad, i can sell the rest of parts and cover up my cost of buying the car.
Is there a DIY guide for dropping the engine? Should i take out the engine and transmission both together or separately?
& thanks again for any of the help.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:13 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, Dynamic Drive, Active Steering, Nav, Adaptive Xenon, Comfort Seats

The engine in the 528i and 328i makes less power. You will need to swap over the 3 stage manifold from your 530i engine and retain the exhaust piping. You will also have to swap over the ecu from your 530i in order to make the n52 you swapped over equivalent to what you had previously.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372973
check that thread out.

Last edited by zoppp; 02-16-2016 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:37 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by zoppp
The engine in the 528i and 328i makes less power. You will need to swap over the 3 stage manifold from your 530i engine and retain the exhaust piping. You will also have to swap over the ecu from your 530i in order to make the n52 you swapped over equivalent to what you had previously.

325i to 330i conversion successful! Dyno charts included!
check that thread out.
I am using the 325 engine which is same. Just the intake manifold is different, which i will be reusing from my 530.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:02 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by rizwan1377
Thanks for the help. I did knew about the intake and the blue top bolts but not the oil cooler, but hoping it is a direct swap.

So actually today i bought the 2006 325i with the N52. It has front end damage. I got it for less than $1000. Has 100k miles, Salvage title and came with no keys, I know!! I guess, i will have to take the risk. The guy who i got it from, has a yard and uses cars for body parts. Even if the engine is bad, i can sell the rest of parts and cover up my cost of buying the car.
Is there a DIY guide for dropping the engine? Should i take out the engine and transmission both together or separately?
& thanks again for any of the help.
It will be a direct swap, because you are going to have to re-use your entire oil filter housing, yours has provisions to attach the cooler, the 325 housing will not. Replace the gasket from block to housing, and housing to cooler while your at it, these is a common maintenance issue. I'm sorry i don't know about the actual swap. Good luck!

Quick Reply: N52 engine problem