E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

My Transmission Service Story

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:20 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 13 X5 35i M-Sport (Sold) 535i M-Sport - (Sold) 07 530i Sport Gray - (Traded) 04 530i Sport Gray
Model Year: 2004
Default My Transmission Service Story

RE: 2004 530i Sport w/129,811

I am the 2nd owner. I purchased w/107k miles on the clock. History shows the Transmission was replaced 11 months into ownership (Nov 2004). I have not experienced any problems other than driving up a hill by my house sometimes it appears to take longer shifting from 2nd to 3rd. Outside of that, it drives perfectly. Sprint booster installed, she get's down the road on command!

Anyway, after a LOT of reading, and a LOT of motivation from STEALERS (Indy Shops now included!) I completed my Transmission Service. Here's my story:

A Indy that gets good reviews turned out to be a bummer! I checked him out twice before checking his pricing when I had 1997 530i and 2001 530i. So I finally decided to take plunge and scheduled Appt. He gave the mechanic my keys and I didn't know he was going for a test drive. While sitting in waiting room, I hear a bumper scrape!! He was driving my car back into driveway and came in straight!! I have the OEM M5 Front Bumper!! GRRRR!!!! Strike 1. Then, they get the car in the air and realize it's the 6 Sp Auto Tranny!! Blank Trip...Strike 2!! They don't have a Pan on hand and said they'd call me w/more info. That was Friday. I tried calling back to check pricing since I realized I could get the same parts from my online retailers. No contact...looks as if they took off early.Strike 3!! Monday he called w/info for Appt to do the job later in the week but was short wanting me just come in while I was asking about the Mechtronic Sleeve and what type of Tranny Oil he uses. He didn't know about the Mechtronic Sleeve, said he didn't know the brand in the "big drum" and then confessed they've only done "1" other BMW and decided to cut bait by telling me maybe I should take it to someone else since I know more about it than him. Strike 4!! This is what initially got me to attempt the job myself!!

1. PARTS PURCHASED:

1.1 Transmission Pan $118.85
1.2 Trans Body Valve Mechtronic Sealing Sleeve $19.28 - (AutohausAZ, ($138.13)
1.3 LifeGuard6 Trans Oil Case of 12 1L (thectsc, $224.59)
1.4 Fill Plug (now Hex) $5.82
1.5 24 Pan Bolts (now Torx 40) $1.78 x24 $42.72 (AutohausAz, $64.49)
1.6 Hand pump (Autozone, $8.87)
1.7 Lift Fee $6/hr, 10.5hrs over 3 days ($63.00)
PROJECT TOTAL ($499.08)

2. First Attempt at the shop, ROAD BLOCK!...I couldn't get the Fill Plug to budge (including help from Shop Mechanics). After 2hrs, I gave up and decided to pay to have it done. Called shop 2 and got a $137 quote last week to complete the service w/all parts provided.

3. 2nd Attempt I decided to give my Torx Bits a try. The shops bits were a little worn. This time, success! Fill Plug off, drained the fluid. Next, I drained the fluid from the pan. Then I started to take off Pan Bolts. ROAD BLOCK! I was able to turn a few of them, but then one or two started acting like they were ready to strip. I decided to throw in the towel and pursue the Shop 2 $137 option. Refilled the Tranny and buttoned it back up. Time: 4hrs. Got home, and this is when I decided that the camp of folks saying BUY NEW PAN BOLTS were correct! So I ordered the Bolts and a new Fill Plug. My S/H charge might've been cheaper had I ordered in the beginning when I ordered the Pan and Sleeve.

4. After waiting a week for the Bolts and Plug, I called the shop back to schedule Appt to complete the service. His quote went from $137 to $431!! His excuse: He didn't write the quote in his notes! I declined his service and looked for another shop. The shop I bought my Bosch battery from had already quoted "about $300"(with parts supplied...I believe he'd be in the $500-$800 range too!). Shop 4: $800 - but when I laughed at him and asked was he going to charge the same as the Dealer?? He revised to $700 which I declined. One shop advised against doing anything this late in the mileage game.

5. 3rd Attempt with renewed motivation to keep my hard earned $$ in my pocket, I went back to the shop. We (actually my Shop Mechanic!) was able to get the stripped bolts to turn by hitting a chisel at the side of the bolt head.
Re-drained Fill Plug, 1.5qts
Drained Pan Plug, 2.5 qts
Removed the Pan and all bolts, 2 qts (5'ish qts)
Replaced the Mechtronic sleeve - was not "too" bad but it is tight as been said. I was only concerned about re-locking after putting the new one in. It took a little force to push up and that concerned me. So I took the cable back off and intended to take Sleeve back out but it felt secured so I left it alone, put cable back on, and pushed the lock lever back up.
Put on new Pan - Torqued new bolts to spec 10nm
Checked Drain plug was also torqued to 10nm spec
Refill #1 - about 2 qts
Refill #2 - w/car on and AC on (this time), shifted through all gears several times - about 3 qts (5'ish went back in). Time: 4.5hrs
Drained oil was a darker brown on both drains but still had a golden look although darker while flowing/draining out. Nothing unusual in the pan, shavings etc.

My times might be longer since I took my time and was stopping to take pics along the way.

Still drives smooth as silk, probably even smoother.

Take Aways:
Buy the Pan bolts and replace them ALL. The newer bolts have a larger Torx (40), ...less proned to stripping.
Buy the Fill Plug and replace it: New plug is 8mm Hex - no fussing w/Torx. Space is still tight though. I used 8mm small wrench to tighten.
Tranny Oil: I read all about the more available, cheaper Mercon SP. I almost settled on the Pentosin (cheaper) but ultimately decided to stay OEM and ordered the oil from the CTSC.

I apologize for the length and details, but desire to give back as this community has given me the confidence to conquer yet another MAJOR project -- I had NO plans wandering into Transmission territory!! I also completed a complete cooling system overhaul a few months back and will post the details soon (my 2nd, my 1st was on my E39).
THANK YOU!!!

Last edited by Tsoup; 09-30-2016 at 03:15 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 07:42 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Congratulations!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:18 PM
Members
Senior Members