E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mirror wiring connection Pre LCI & M Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 05:53 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mirror wiring connection Pre LCI & M Sport

Hi, I am looking for a replacement of left door mirror. My mirror is a basic pre LCI model (2006), heated, with puddle lamp and aspheric lens glass with the line.

My mirror has 3 wires only to the 4 pin plug (Red,green and brown-last one is blank) whereas those found on ebay are mainly M sport models with 4 wires to the 4 pin plug (green, brown, red and white) or other plug types. My lens heating is 2 separate wires.
  • Can the M sport mirror be fitted directly to my vehicle?
  • Will any programming be needed is the M sport mirror is fitted?
  • Can I replace one side with the M sport model and leave the other side with the old pre LCI one? (at this point of time, I just forget about the gloss / matt support ring & the puddle lamp)
  • Will the M sport mirror work on my pre LCI if the correct wiring colours are moved to the correct pin position and leaving the white wire out of the connection?
Thanks beforehand for your help.
Attached Thumbnails mirror wiring connection Pre LCI & M Sport-e60-2006-mirror-electric-connection-plug-pre-lci-3-wire-4-pin-plug.jpg   mirror wiring connection Pre LCI & M Sport-e60-4-wire-4-pin-plug..jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 03:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

there are two mirrors types for sept 2005 onwards cars. LIN BUS (3 wires) which can have memory, dimming, auto dipping, folding and puddle lights, and then there is non LIN BUS (4 wires) which only has heating.

Any 3 wire mirror will with your car, if it has additional features then those features will need coding
Old 10-27-2014, 03:45 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
there are two mirrors types for sept 2005 onwards cars. LIN BUS (3 wires) which can have memory, dimming, auto dipping, folding and puddle lights, and then there is non LIN BUS (4 wires) which only has heating.

Any 3 wire mirror will with your car, if it has additional features then those features will need coding
Hi Sanjsany, Thanks again for your reply. Can I replace my mirror which has 3 wires to 4 pin plug with a mirror having 4 wires to same plug type and dimension? Maybe need to move the appropriate colour wire to my original wiring positions. My damaged mirror only has heating mirror lens and puddle lamp. No folding, memory, etc.
Old 10-27-2014, 06:41 AM
Senior Members

no, 4 pin wires are connected to different wires from the connector plug onwards, compared to the 3 plug connector. You could do it if you really wanted to, but you would have to have on both sides 3 wires mirrors or 4 wire mirrors, and you would have to do the opposite of this:https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...irrors-119719/

Since you have 3 wire mirrors, you should be able to code yours to dip on reverse if you wanted it
Old 10-27-2014, 09:18 AM
New Members

Default mirror wiring connection Pre LCI & M Sport

Originally Posted by sanjsanj
no, 4 pin wires are connected to different wires from the connector plug onwards, compared to the 3 plug connector. You could do it if you really wanted to, but you would have to have on both sides 3 wires mirrors or 4 wire mirrors, and you would have to do the opposite of this:https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...irrors-119719/

Since you have 3 wire mirrors, you should be able to code yours to dip on reverse if you wanted it

Hi againSanjsanj, thanks again for your help. Let me try to explain you my thoughts.
  • Let’s concentrate on the mirror actuator and mirror electronics. At this point of time, I forget about the mirror lens heating and puddle lamp. My damaged mirror do not have folding or dimming options. But its actuator/mechanism/motor is fully functional.
  • Normally the mirror actuator/mechanism (8) should be same for the mirror with 3 wire pin plug and 4 wire pin plug of same design/size.
  • It is the electronic part (2) that manages lens heating, lens movement, puddle lamp lighting, etc.
  • My question, if I just connect my 3 wire pin plug to the replacement mirror actuator/mechanism/motor (which used the 4 wire pin plug of same design/size), will the mirror operate normally without any coding?
  • The mirror actuator/mechanism/motor is only electrically motorised mechanism. Whereas the lighting, heating is operated from the electronic part (2)
Am I too focussed? Thanksfor your input. Regards.
Attached Thumbnails mirror wiring connection Pre LCI & M Sport-sanjsanj.jpg  
Old 10-27-2014, 05:15 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Here are the wiring diagrams for the two mirrors. They don't look compatible.

The 3 pin one has the LIN bus which talk to some electronics in the mirror to tell it what to do.

The 4 pin one is straight forward with one wire for each function.
Attached Thumbnails mirror wiring connection Pre LCI & M Sport-3-pin-mirror.jpg   mirror wiring connection Pre LCI & M Sport-4-pin-mirror.jpg  
Old 10-28-2014, 01:11 AM
Senior Members

twh is correct, (8) is different for both mirror types so they won't work