E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Low Coolant Level Warning - green crusty stuff on Waterpump to Thermos

Old 07-22-2011, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pump, thermostat, sensor, 1 gallon of BMW coolant and 2 hoses leading from the pump itself for less than $ 350 plus one Saturday and next Sunday morning and the help from a forum member name Turboawd...forgot to mention, also did the coolant flush.

this forum...priceless!!!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Members

Thanks very much for your help!!
Another complicating factor is that I just got the car on June 8th.. it has 107,000km on it now (i've put on 3000-4000k). I don't know what the service history is - if the timing belt has been done or if that's already a new water pump. I'm a good bit pissed off about the situation - I feel that the dealer should be fixing all this but I don't feel like flat bedding my car 2 hours there and being without it.. then finding a way to pick it up.. and that's if he doesn't squack and bitch. (brings visions of the recent news article where the guy smashed up all the cars on the lot when he got a lemon..). I think I'll just get the stuff done myself and rework a payment based on the repair costs. No way should I have to pay for this crap less than 60 days in, warranty or not. ... there is no warranty.. 30 days...

I'll go with the OE parts and do the proper replacements as you suggest. They're a good little shop but they do most of their work on domestics as I think I have one of half a dozen BMW's in my little town of 20 thou or so. They're rates are good, they're honest and very upfront and cautious when working on her. I suspect the service guy didn't recommend it because of the description I gave him and specifically asking for it to be replaced. They're good about that but he's a young guy so I'll have a talking with him to make sure he does advise people of the benefits and cost down the road etc. It's tough to find a BMW mechanic where I am. I figure for this stuff it should be relatively straight forward, anything specialized I'd head in to Endras in Ajax (hour or so down the highway).. or a quick call to CAA for the tow!
I'm wondering about the bleeding of the system- is there a specific way to do it (wondering if I should mention this to the mechanic so he doesn't do it incorrectly). Also now wondering about this sensor just mentioned - I can figure out the hoses but didn't see a sensor??

I really appreciate all the help I'm getting on here, thanks for taking the time with me on this issue :-)
Old 07-22-2011, 02:08 PM
Senior Members

you do not really need to be concern with the timing belt on the V-8 if your car only has 107K km. Our V-8 has timing chain so you're good to go with that department for now.

Most of the things you mentioned are DIY...I was a bit scare at first too but if you read those DIY carefully and read what other members are advising you, it wouldn't be a that bad. I ordered my parts from thebmwpartstore.com but then again I'm not sure if it's worth it for you since shipping charges will chew up whatever you save in the first place.

GL and do consider doing it yourself for learning purposes so you can tackle the dreaded "transmission fluid change" next.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:18 PM
Members

cool thanks - the dealer told me the transmission was just serviced before I bought it. But it seems to have a lag going in to reverse and a weird springy sound when I first start out with very very little pressure, under 1000-1200rpm... it seems to like to lurch and jump even with even light throttle pressure while in first gear (at or under about 1200rpm). Seems like a 'linkage' issue but I'm a few wrenches short of a tool box sooo.... not too sure ;-) Yet another issue! ..sigh
I'd like to tackle it myself but it's the flush and system bleeding that cause concern, I have no idea how to bleed or flush a system and I'm not confident enough to teach myself that sort of stuff.. too much room for error and I don't want to cause more problems with my ignorance.. Minor stuff maybe but not bleeding, flushing, brakes (for safety reasons), etc. .. I think it's the mess and bleeding it that concern me the most.. I'm nervous around a running engine (..again ignorance.. I'm just not that confident..)
Thanks for the note on the timing chain - I got looking at realoem and was worried given all the parts and the prices! BMW = Best get More Work ;-)

// I did diagnose and fix the idle control valve on my 190E about 4 years ago... that was a proud day indeed. s**t.. my hand still hurts from digging that thing out and putting it back in!

I wonder if it might be worth it to wait for the thermostat and waterpump... the shop rate is $75/hr. .. Is it really worth it to replace the waterpump and thermostat given those rates and the high price of the parts until I can find out from the dealer when the waterpump was fixed (if ever) ..can find out Monday morning as the car goes on the hoist. If the gasket fixes I should be able to drive it up to the dealer and make him put in a new waterpump and thermostat (amongst my other long list of grievances.. waste of my time, but there is principal involved).. I'd at least have the car drivable with the gasket fixed and can get it to the dealer for them to sort out and maybe give me some more leverage. It could be hard to explain to the dealer if he wants to make a fuss as it was "only the gasket"..
.. I don't understand how that gasket could go unless there was undue pressure on it or it wasn't installed properly in the first place.. they do get brittle but it should be a much bigger leak if that was the case.. least I'd think... seems like a pressure thing and a weakened gasket.. but I'm just venturing guesses.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:25 PM
Senior Members

I think Rizbel made a good coolant flush DIY in the DIY forum. Take a look at it. It's not that bad. Main thing is when you jack it up and decide to do it, let it drain completely including all coolant traps in the hoses. Of course when you actually remove the pump itself, there will be more coolant coming out but after that you're good to go.

GL with whatever you decide.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
I think Rizbel made a good coolant flush DIY in the DIY forum. Take a look at it. It's not that bad. Main thing is when you jack it up and decide to do it, let it drain completely including all coolant traps in the hoses. Of course when you actually remove the pump itself, there will be more coolant coming out but after that you're good to go.

GL with whatever you decide.
Nice thanks! I'll find that.