E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knocking Sound - Help please???

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2016, 06:59 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535XI, 2008 535i
Model Year: 2008
Default Knocking Sound - Help please???

Hoping someone can offer guidance:
Car is 2008 535XI 130k 6MT. DCI, JB4, RB Valve, sport oil cooler, basically otherwise stock.

Been getting a misfire code on cylinder 5 for a some time so thusly changed all coils and plugs. Issue went away for some time, but in the interest of full disclosure, started getting a underboost code which I believe are the diverter valves after pressure testing the system. Ordered a CP from ER and waiting for delivery.. Been driving it around in the meanwhile without my usual heavy foot and in MAP 0, but noticed the car started spewing whitish smoke out the tail pipe heavily with a slight electrical burning smell so stopped driving and started investigating. Nothing evidently burned, but there was some oil on the valve cover since the PCV connection to CC blew off (plastic connector broke on install, since zip tied it tight over the clip). Foolishly thinking that maybe the oil caused a short to ground on the injectors, cleaned it all up and took it for another test drive. Started getting heavy misfires and car started to limp. Got it home, checked DME and saw that it was misfiring on cylinder 5 again. Pulled coil and plug, noticed plug was dry but covered in soot. Cylinder 1-3 in comparison were good, all having only 3k miles. Swapped coil with cylinder 1, and started it up, but now noticed that there was a knocking sound, not at idle but when the engine is revved (under load). Starting searching and found this Rod knock, engine removal? - N54Tech.com - Your Source for International Turbo BMW Racing Discussion

Wondering if the same has happened and I spun a bearing? Aside from dropping the oil pan to check (limited space), or bringing it to a shop, is there anything I can do to further diagnose? Knocking is definitely coming from cylinder 5, I increased RPMs and can feel the knocking in the rigid fuel line between the fuel line and injector. It only happens when the gas is applied, not while RPMs are coming down, nor during idle.

I also pulled the oil filter but didn't notice any shavings or glitter in the oil.

Sorry for the long post, Any ideas?