E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought an E60 -- can you help me solve all of these problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 06:22 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M-Sport
Default Just bought an E60 -- can you help me solve all of these problems?

Hi 5series,

This is my first E60. I currently have an E39, and have owned 2 E30s in the past.

I've read "So You Just Bought an E60" -- and am tackling several issues/problems slowly.

The car is a 2004 525i Sport, which I think has premium package? I'm not sure... The previous owner didn't have a history of services or paperwork with the car. The car was originally a Shwarz II (black), but was repainted to white, including all body panels, jambs, hood/trunk, engine bay, etc.

I'm going to use this post to serve as a build/progress thread to track the things I have done to the car thus far.

Here are the list of issues so far with the car. I will try to list any remedies that I think will take care of them, or also anything that I've currently done.

High Priority
  • Red Brake Light on -- brake pad wear sensors need to be changed (pads still have 60-70% life)
  • Passenger airbag/SRS lights on -- Open recall available (taking car to local dealership tomorrow morning)
  • Trans failsafe activated on the way home after purchase -- never happened again. Jerky shifts from 1-2, 2-3, sometimes 3-4 ---- going to start with fluid/filter/pan
  • Water pooled up in battery well? --- clogged drain?

Medium Priority
  • Driver's door lock-rod is stuck inside door card.... any thoughts?
  • Need to get a spare key... any other options besides ~$200 from the dealer?
  • Sunroof wouldn't close -- would close, and then reopen. -- initialization procedure fixed this
  • Underhood insulation missing... Any ideas of best place to source this? OK w/ used.
  • Xenon headlights flicker from time to time... I hear ignitor? or could is be the D2S bulb?
  • driver's side fog light missing - this just came in the mail
  • bumper/fog light grilles/covers missing - recently ordered replacements
  • passenger side mirror auto-dim liquid leaking

Low Priority
  • Missing volume knob -- these are like $30 bucks on eBay... other options?
  • Steering wheel leather torn -- these are fairly cheap on eBay (w/out airbag)
  • Driver cupholder missing... these too are expensive!
  • Roundels are faded -- ordered some replacement ones

Here are some pictures from the day I got her:
Name:  IMG_1193.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  169.4 KB
Name:  IMG_1194.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  156.2 KB
Name:  IMG_1195.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  173.5 KB

Passenger side mirror (auto dim/heated) -- looks to be leaking... Can this be repaired? Or does it have to be replaced?
Name:  IMG_1201.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  143.9 KB

Water in battery well... might be hard to see -- tips on how to drain/remove?
Name:  IMG_1234.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  281.3 KB

Also, saw this when I tore apart the trunk... Can anyone help me identify what these splatters might be?
Name:  IMG_1232.jpg
Views: 614
Size:  249.0 KB

Last edited by JPR10; 01-05-2017 at 03:39 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 AM
Senior Members

Trans failsafe activated on the way home after purchase -- never happened again. Jerky shifts from 1-2, 2-3, sometimes 3-4 ---- going to start with fluid/filter/pan
Trans fluid changed help smooth out shifts. For one problem (slam from 2nd to 1st), took 300 or so miles to resolve on its own after fluid change.

Driver's door lock-rod is stuck inside door card
Door removals are pretty simple so it seems you can get the rod back in place. There are links that go step-by-step. It seems someone didn't put it back together correctly.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:11 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by jgbmw
Trans failsafe activated on the way home after purchase -- never happened again. Jerky shifts from 1-2, 2-3, sometimes 3-4 ---- going to start with fluid/filter/pan
Trans fluid changed help smooth out shifts. For one problem (slam from 2nd to 1st), took 300 or so miles to resolve on its own after fluid change.

Driver's door lock-rod is stuck inside door card
Door removals are pretty simple so it seems you can get the rod back in place. There are links that go step-by-step. It seems someone didn't put it back together correctly.
Thanks for your response -- trans fluid/filter will probably be the cheapest option here... What about software updating? I doubt that this was ever completed on the car... DIY options here?

As far as the lock rod, the PO said that his grandfather messed it up.. not sure if that's true... I'll post some pics later.

ALSO

Pics added of car, and some other issues, etc.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:23 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Ride: e60 530i e21 320i
Model Year: 2005 1981
Engine: M54 M10

JPR10, Take a look at this link:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/att...8&d=1475191169

Good read, might just answer some questions you haven't come to yet, as well as just good background.
Enjoy.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:45 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530XiT

Originally Posted by JPR10
  • Passenger airbag/SRS lights on -- Open recall available (taking car to local dealership tomorrow morning)
  • Water pooled up in battery well? --- clogged drain?
Looks good, I have these two problems on my new to me 2006 E61. Mine has had the recall done on the airbag light, but the only airbag/safety error the Carly app gives is
Advanced Crash and Safety Management (ACSM)
Driver Headrest
Code: 0093F9
So, I have no idea really, except for voltage issues. I got a new battery and that didn't sort it out.

The water in the battery is probably a plugged up sunroof drain. Pretty easy to clean out with lots of good instructions on various forums.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:54 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by officeboy
Looks good, I have these two problems on my new to me 2006 E61. Mine has had the recall done on the airbag light, but the only airbag/safety error the Carly app gives is

So, I have no idea really, except for voltage issues. I got a new battery and that didn't sort it out.

The water in the battery is probably a plugged up sunroof drain. Pretty easy to clean out with lots of good instructions on various forums.
Thanks for the tips. I'm picking up the car from BMW this afternoon. Hopefully the cluster indicators are resolved. Are your lights still on? There are some posts about how the positive battery terminal cable could be faulty -- and there is a bypass that people have made and sell on eBay ($12).

As for the battery/drainage -- are there any considerations when removing the battery? Will I need a "code" to use the radio, or will it set of any resets that I'll need to complete?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:08 PM
New Members

So BMW called me back saying they need to keep my car for another day because they just got the seat sensor which they ordered, and now need to program it to my car -- which I think is BS... isn't it just R&R?

On top of that, they're telling me that it won't turn off the SRS light, and in order to do so they'll need to run a diagnosis first (which will cost money).

I'm not falling for it... Is there any credibility in what they're saying?
Old 12-30-2016, 02:30 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530XiT

I don't think the seat sensor is codeable, so it should be just plug and play. The sensor install is a pretty big job with a lot of seat disassembly.
Ask them how they know doing the work won't fix the SRS light, and how can that not be part of the work being done? Do they expect that there are other troubles? Or does the recall only include the part, and not clearing the error?
(Maybe they would like to to dispose of the packing garbage too since that probably isn't in the recall either)
Old 12-30-2016, 04:05 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by officeboy
I don't think the seat sensor is codeable, so it should be just plug and play. The sensor install is a pretty big job with a lot of seat disassembly.
Ask them how they know doing the work won't fix the SRS light, and how can that not be part of the work being done? Do they expect that there are other troubles? Or does the recall only include the part, and not clearing the error?
(Maybe they would like to to dispose of the packing garbage too since that probably isn't in the recall either)
Yeah, I sent the tech a message asking him why the seat sensor needs to be coded... And also, why they think it wont fix the SRS lights...

Car should be ready for pick up tomorrow morning. I'll do some more investigation then, and will report back here.

Your car had the recall right? And the light stayed on? Or did it turn off?
Old 12-31-2016, 10:23 AM
New Members

Got the car back from the dealer.

Long story short... SRS/Airbag lights are still on. They replaced the seat mat sensor, and the light didn't go away... So it could be something else?

They also found that the serpentine belt shows signs of cracking, and should be replaced. As well as oil leaking around the oil pan -- recommending to replace the pan gasket.

Those will be added to the high priority list (well at least the drive belts for sure).

-- as for brands... going with the CRP/Contitech for the belts.. but how about the gasket... Genuine BMW? or is VictorReinz ok?

Last edited by JPR10; 12-31-2016 at 10:27 AM.