This is my first E60. I currently have an E39, and have owned 2 E30s in the past.
I've read "So You Just Bought an E60" -- and am tackling several issues/problems slowly.
The car is a 2004 525i Sport, which I think has premium package? I'm not sure... The previous owner didn't have a history of services or paperwork with the car. The car was originally a Shwarz II (black), but was repainted to white, including all body panels, jambs, hood/trunk, engine bay, etc.
I'm going to use this post to serve as a build/progress thread to track the things I have done to the car thus far.
Here are the list of issues so far with the car. I will try to list any remedies that I think will take care of them, or also anything that I've currently done.
- Red Brake Light on -- brake pad wear sensors need to be changed (pads still have 60-70% life)
- Passenger airbag/SRS lights on -- Open recall available (taking car to local dealership tomorrow morning)
- Trans failsafe activated on the way home after purchase -- never happened again. Jerky shifts from 1-2, 2-3, sometimes 3-4 ---- going to start with fluid/filter/pan
- Water pooled up in battery well? --- clogged drain?
- Driver's door lock-rod is stuck inside door card.... any thoughts?
- Need to get a spare key... any other options besides ~$200 from the dealer?
- Sunroof wouldn't close -- would close, and then reopen. -- initialization procedure fixed this
- Underhood insulation missing... Any ideas of best place to source this? OK w/ used.
- Xenon headlights flicker from time to time... I hear ignitor? or could is be the D2S bulb?
- driver's side fog light missing - this just came in the mail
- bumper/fog light grilles/covers missing - recently ordered replacements
- passenger side mirror auto-dim liquid leaking
- Missing volume knob -- these are like $30 bucks on eBay... other options?
- Steering wheel leather torn -- these are fairly cheap on eBay (w/out airbag)
- Driver cupholder missing... these too are expensive!
- Roundels are faded -- ordered some replacement ones
Here are some pictures from the day I got her:
Passenger side mirror (auto dim/heated) -- looks to be leaking... Can this be repaired? Or does it have to be replaced?
Water in battery well... might be hard to see -- tips on how to drain/remove?
Also, saw this when I tore apart the trunk... Can anyone help me identify what these splatters might be?