E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

INPA manual

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 05:32 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 E60 545i Manual, Sport, L7
Model Year: 2005
Default INPA manual

I did a lot of google search to find some sort of manual for understending INPA velues and how to use it. is there such manual existing otherwise i have no clues what these readungs mean. please someone point me to the right direction or explain what they mean in simple worgs
thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 06:02 AM
Members
Senior Members

is this BMW's top secret or what? how the hell you ppl use the INPA software. did you guys go to special school to learn how to interact the values. it seams that no one wants to share it. all I see is how to install guide but nothing how to use it. I have DIS also but can't make it work. how long does DIS take to load. as mine looks like forever or does it needs special cable other than the one I am using for Inpa?
thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

I have never seen a 'guide' on how to use INPA. you have to understand that BMW never intended any 'untrained' people to use that software. sorry, but youre going to just have to figure it out. that's how all of us did it.

you're also asking veeeeeeery vague questions. you need to be more specific with what you're trying to do, read, etc. what problems are you having getting DIS to load? What are you trying to read with INPA? the same cable for INPA will work with anything in BMW Tools. If you're able to access control units with INPA, DIS should work for you.

you can't just say "my computer wont work send me all the steps to make it work K thx bai" and expect to get any usable help.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:21 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KyleB
I have never seen a 'guide' on how to use INPA. you have to understand that BMW never intended any 'untrained' people to use that software. sorry, but youre going to just have to figure it out. that's how all of us did it.

you're also asking veeeeeeery vague questions. you need to be more specific with what you're trying to do, read, etc. what problems are you having getting DIS to load? What are you trying to read with INPA? the same cable for INPA will work with anything in BMW Tools. If you're able to access control units with INPA, DIS should work for you.

you can't just say "my computer wont work send me all the steps to make it work K thx bai" and expect to get any usable help.

thanks for reply but i am confused as this sounds strange to me. if this software is available for public somehow there should be a direction also how to use it and what they mean. I see there are some guides for other softwares but nothing on INPA itself.. I used INPA to read and erase codes and diagnose my misfire on cylinder 7 recently. but how the heck i am gonna figure out what are the values it reads in real time. ok i see that battery vantage is easy to understand but what about engine, like VANOS, Injectors etc. I want to see if they perform properly and do their job with this tool.
as for DIS. i have problem loading it. when i start it i see a long list is going on and after waiting a long time it still says not connected. does it take that long to get ready to start.

Last edited by Margal; 10-16-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:34 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Engine: M54

Originally Posted by Margal
thanks for reply but i am confused as this sounds strange to me. if this software is available for public somehow there should be a direction also how to use it and what they mean.
Well that's the thing...it wasn't ever supposed to BE for the public.

imagine if you invented a computer for you, and you only, to work on your car. theres really no sense in showing anyone else how to use it, since only YOU will be using it right?

That's INPA. it was developed for internal use ONLY at the factory for troubleshooting. it leaked out into the free market, and rest assured BMW is NOT happy about it.

you'll have to just figure it out. there is no manual for it. seriously. there are two versions of INPA; one is all german, and the other is referred to as 'english' but even it has mostly german text in it. you'll just have to figure it out. INPA is good for giving you symptoms, but it isn't going to help you troubleshoot at all - that's where your car knowledge comes into play. DIS is more for troubleshooting, and even it can be wrong sometimes.

DIS runs slowly because it basically runs as a virtual machine. so yea, it's pretty normal for it to run slowly. are you using a Windows XP based computer?

honestly I almost never use DIS. I use INPA (and my head) for troubleshooting, and NCS Expert for coding.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi w/Sport, Premium, Cold weather. Silver Gray Metallic, Black Dakota leather interior.

This might help a little.
https://www.google.com/search?client...F-8&gws_rd=ssl
Old 10-19-2014, 01:54 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

check out this site lots of good info here
BMW forum. Diagnostics, coding, programming, repair BMW vehicles. - Powered by vBulletin
Old 10-23-2014, 04:50 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Engine: N62

There is a significant learning curve for all this stuff, I went thru this myself but Google is your friend!!
Wrt to DIS, IT ONLY RUNS IN XP for me and it is finicky running VMWare.
I always first fire up INPA and once I verify that I have connected , close it and en fire up the IHS File and the the diagn.head emulator and start it and then the DIS in VMWare.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Members

My Ride: E60 550i
Model Year: 2010

I have INPA running right away on my 09 550i. It didn't work with 10 550i. I had to short the pins in the cables (cheap Chineese version) if my memory serves me right. In order to get DIS going I've spent countless hours. Most of DIS distributed copies were pieces of crap that didn't work or password protected. Now that I've figured it out it runs fine on my MacBook Pro Windows 7 x64 bit Bootcamp. BTW I don't use dignostic head emulator to run it. Like it was previously mentioned google is your friend. I only use INPA for quick code reading.