E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Idrive flickering on/off Tons of malfunctions and car wants to die. (Video inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 03:52 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: BMW 550I BLK
Model Year: 2007
Engine: N62
Default water in trunk?

Does it rain alot where you are? I had the same problem only to find out I had water in my trunk under the spare and there are some sensors down there that shouldn't get wet. WHY BMW WHY????? Did you put those there? ??? Lol
Old 09-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

How often do you drive the car? Is this a daily driver? How many miles on average do you drive a month? IS there anything aftermarket installed on the car, electronics wise? It sounds like something is draining the battery. These cars require a constant voltage. Undercharge or overcharge conditions will cause problems.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:28 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

Have you checked the voltage on the secret OCB menu? Also you can disconnect the IBS and see if there's any change

videos for both are on youtube
Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 530i with Navigation and HUD!

Star69me - Its been raining alot this summer in Vegas but i checked for a flooded spare tire well once before. The unit in the well looked good as new with no corrision or water evidence.

Hyper_545i - Its my daily driver for sure and i put about 700 miles on it a month. There's an older style ipod/iphone connection hanging in the glove box. Im not sure if its oem or aftermarket and im not even sure if it works! My car hasn't been coded for aux yet. Ill check to see if it'll charge my dad's iphone 4s. Possible source of battery drain?

sanjsanj - Ill look up the secret obc menu tommorow and get some voltage readings. Thanks for the idea.

I got the battery tested today and recharged. The guy was telling me that the charge was weakened but not too bad.

Also, i timed the standby light today and it turned off at exactly 1 hour. From what i understand with the ibs is that if its faulty the light never goes out. I might be wrong though!
The following users liked this post:
Jworld (10-22-2022)
Old 09-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Senior Members

mine goes off after exactly 20 mins.

Try this:

youtu.be/ta0anFAeU2Q?t=4m9s
Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Members

I have had problems that looks similar to the ones you are experiencing. At the end of it all it turned out to be two things.
1: Replace the generator - it did not supply correct voltage - and the difference was something like 0,3 Volt but enough to upset the entire system.
2: The power cable running from engine compartment back to rear booth battery placement. It is a thick cable but it is divided into two parts were it enters the bottom of the car. Rigth there I had some corrosion that could have been the reason for my generator to go bad.

I am not saying you need to do both, but have them check it out. Unfortunately both items will cost you. Especially the cable as the need to dismount the rear axle to gain access.

Hope this will help you fix your car..
Old 09-18-2014, 05:02 AM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

Originally Posted by CoolBlade
I have had problems that looks similar to the ones you are experiencing. At the end of it all it turned out to be two things.
1: Replace the generator - it did not supply correct voltage - and the difference was something like 0,3 Volt but enough to upset the entire system.
2: The power cable running from engine compartment back to rear booth battery placement. It is a thick cable but it is divided into two parts were it enters the bottom of the car. Rigth there I had some corrosion that could have been the reason for my generator to go bad.

I am not saying you need to do both, but have them check it out. Unfortunately both items will cost you. Especially the cable as the need to dismount the rear axle to gain access.

Hope this will help you fix your car..
I'm in Vegas also.

Having some strange issues w/ my E60 as well. Hmmm
Old 09-18-2014, 09:47 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 530i with Navigation and HUD!

Gangplank - I checked your thread and it made realize that i also have the same BST issue that you have.

I totally forgot one detail in this thread about my car. About a year ago my idrive popped up the passenger restraint error and the airbag light and another light came on the cluster. I went into the BMW dealership to have the recall work done for the passenger seat mat and was told my BST was causing the passenger restraint warning. I have yet to address that issue and now im reading that may cause the drain as well. Has anyone on here done the BST bypass? I can't seem to find an e60 specific write up.

My relay should be coming in tommorow so ill check obc menu once installed.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: '04 545i

Interesting.... I have the passenger restraint err. Have a host of other faults going on too at the moment tho: transmission fault, increased emissions, occasional other things.

Different issues than yours tho. Thinking it's the IVM.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:30 AM
Senior Members

low battery / alternator not charging is usually the cause of multiple errors all happening together

Quick Reply: Idrive flickering on/off Tons of malfunctions and car wants to die. (Video inside)