E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

iDrive/ Bluetooth issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 02:12 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05, 545i
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62, M62, S38
Default iDrive/ Bluetooth issue

Afternoon all.

So I've read until my eyes went cross eyed. I've found several posts about iDrive locking up and as a result people replacing the CCC unit etc.
However I think I have something a little different going on here.

I'll elaborate.

A few weeks ago my stereo started taking a while to actually turn on, nothing scary just about 60 seconds longer than usual, this time frame got longer over time to the point the system would just never fully turn on well, once in a while it would after about 10 min but not too often, the the screen would get stuck on whatever I had it on previously then turn off.
The iDrive screen would shut off and come back on etc as others have done.

Here is where I think this is unique from the others I've found.

I noticed the SOS button up by the sunroof controls would illuminate and when it does this the system locks up, It won't stay on but flashes on for maybe 5 seconds then off for 30 then on for one second then off for 10 kinda thing, nothing consistent. So this got me thinking that maybe the Bluetooth module was the issue.
I also noticed if I didn't start the car it would work but as soon as I started the engine it would start cutting the audio out.

In the mean time I located another CCC unit so I tried it out. Same issue, nothing acted different. I also replaced the MPM just before the CCC to make sure I wasn't having power delivery issues.

Today I took the time to get to the bluetooth and unplugged it completely.

The iDrive fires up super fast and scrolls through everything without issue engine running or not but the stereo doesn't function at all.
I can scroll to the stereo function and change it from FM to AUx for instance and it will automatically switch back to FM. Change to AM same thing it switches back to FM.
No sound at all when this happens either but the system isn't locked up.

So I plugged in everything but the optical cable and same deal, system fires up but doesn't function. As soon as I plug in the optical cable it starts doing the same thing.
Stereo and all functions work fine untill I start the engine.

So, before I go trying a used bluetooth module I was just hoping for some feed back from the combined brain power we have here.

Ideas?

Thank you
Old 07-11-2015, 04:23 AM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Do you know what your charging voltage is off the voltage regulator(alternator)?
Just a WAG but could be battery or alternator related due to unsatisfactory voltage
Old 07-13-2015, 04:44 AM
New Members

My Ride: 05, 545i
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62, M62, S38

Originally Posted by cmyachtie
Do you know what your charging voltage is off the voltage regulator(alternator)?
Just a WAG but could be battery or alternator related due to unsatisfactory voltage
Right off I don't remember.

I replaced the battery last fall, yes I told the car it was new and I had checked it within the last couple months but, my mind forgets.

Thanks for the idea, I'll check that ASAP this morning and report back.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

You can check the voltage via the secret OBD menu, you want menu #9 after unlocking it.

When you disconnected the bluetooth, did you re loop the optical MOST wire? Without that the audio won't work if you have an amp in the back. Try relooping it and seeing how the idrive behaves.