E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

I did the little diy exhaust mod with the valve

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 08:43 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i sport package blacked out rims, factory otherwise for now.
Default I did the little diy exhaust mod with the valve

Hi everyone! Im pretty green here so please forgive any transgressions. I didn't that little mod people do where I looped the hoses to the butterfly valve on my 545i. Theres some exhaust coming out of the second muffler now, but still not much. I can reach up and open the valve all the way by hand and it sound so much better, and a little bit louder. What can I do to get the valve to stay open the rest of the way. My welders nkt working so that's not much of an option. It wont be fixed soon either because the rheostat is bad. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:04 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

Originally Posted by EvilDave83
Hi everyone! Im pretty green here so please forgive any transgressions. I didn't that little mod people do where I looped the hoses to the butterfly valve on my 545i. Theres some exhaust coming out of the second muffler now, but still not much. I can reach up and open the valve all the way by hand and it sound so much better, and a little bit louder. What can I do to get the valve to stay open the rest of the way. My welders nkt working so that's not much of an option. It wont be fixed soon either because the rheostat is bad. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Wire it open ,,, or wedge the mechanizum open somehow
Old 08-25-2014, 10:55 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i sport package blacked out rims, factory otherwise for now.

Thats pretty much what I ended up doing. I drilled out the little port in the housing under the car, then held it open by hand and stuck a 1/4-20 bolt through it. It seems as though theres still not as much exhaust coming from the right muffler, but it could be because its a bigger muffler? Idk. Also on the other muffler, theres a thin spot. What will happen if it wears through? Will it be incredibly loud and awful? Its right near the end of the muffler so im guessing the exhaust would still have to mam it past most of the baffles.
Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 PM
New Members

My Ride: 545i

I held it open and tack welded it. Works perfectly.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:48 AM
Members

[QUOTE=EvilDave83;1546104]Thats pretty much what I ended up doing. I drilled out the little port in the housing under the car, then held it open by hand and stuck a 1/4-20 bolt through it. It seems as though theres still not as much exhaust coming from the right muffler, but it could be because its a bigger muffler? Idk. Also on the other muffler, theres a thin spot. What will happen if it wears through? Will it be incredibly loud and awful? Its right near the end of the muffler so im guessing the exhaust would still have to mam it past most of the baffles.

hi there, there is a thread whereby its demonstrated that re-routing the vacuum hoses (located behind the drivers side cover in the trunk ) he was able to manipulate the flap to fully open. I actually did this , and it worked very well. The only problem is, I cannot remember where the DIY is now..lol! I would search via Google to determine what forum it was in.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:25 PM
H F
New Members

My Ride: 2005 545

[QUOTE=6825786;1546289]
Thats pretty much what I ended up doing. I drilled out the little port in the housing under the car, then held it open by hand and stuck a 1/4-20 bolt through it. It seems as though theres still not as much exhaust coming from the right muffler, but it could be because its a bigger muffler? Idk. Also on the other muffler, theres a thin spot. What will happen if it wears through? Will it be incredibly loud and awful? Its right near the end of the muffler so im guessing the exhaust would still have to mam it past most of the baffles.

hi there, there is a thread whereby its demonstrated that re-routing the vacuum hoses (located behind the drivers side cover in the trunk ) he was able to manipulate the flap to fully open. I actually did this , and it worked very well. The only problem is, I cannot remember where the DIY is now..lol! I would search via Google to determine what forum it was in.
Sounds like its a electric valve bybass . Meaning u take the electric valve out of the loop . Basically its a straight vacume connection from the vacume pump to the muffler flap . It wiil remain open all the time , without the ecu controlled electric valve hooked up closing the muffler flapper

Last edited by H F; 08-27-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:32 PM
New Members

My Ride: Stock 2004 BMW 525i
Wink

Go back to stock or find a less expensive vehicle to break, just saying.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
New Members

[quote=6825786;1546289]
Originally Posted by evildave83
thats pretty much what i ended up doing. I drilled out the little port in the housing under the car, then held it open by hand and stuck a 1/4-20 bolt through it. It seems as though theres still not as much exhaust coming from the right muffler, but it could be because its a bigger muffler? Idk. Also on the other muffler, theres a thin spot. What will happen if it wears through? Will it be incredibly loud and awful? Its right near the end of the muffler so im guessing the exhaust would still have to mam it past most of the baffles.

I did that, for some reason, it didnt seem to open the valve all the way. I got the picture from on these forums and bought the little peice of pic from autozone. Thanks for the advice anyways. Your a lot more pleasant than some people around here lol.

Hi there, there is a thread whereby its demonstrated that re-routing the vacuum hoses (located behind the drivers side cover in the trunk ) he was able to manipulate the flap to fully open. I actually did this , and it worked very well. The only problem is, i cannot remember where the diy is now..lol! I would search via google to determine what forum it was in.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:06 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by texasmr2
Go back to stock or find a less expensive vehicle to break, just saying.
I think I understand what your getting at. Your saying that I should keep it like it came from the factory, right? Just in case I ever bring my car to Germany so I can pass decibel checks. That makes sense. By expensive, your referring to the $19,000 I spent on the car outright? I just figured that since I own the car, and have no liens or anything I could do what I wanted to it. Especially considering that the valve on the American bound 545's is redundant, being that we dont have the same rules as Germany. Thanks for your advice though, Id hate to change anything on my super expensive 2005 545i, that I own. Id hate to "break" anything on my car, that I bought, with my money. Good thing you responded to my post, I was about to paint it neon green, and put a 4' carbon fiber rear spoiler on it, with underbelly neon lights, and Dayton 100 spoke, knock off rims. I was gonna pull out the active steering too, and put hydraulics on it. Oh and a huge #1 on the sides with colored window tint but, you saved me. I owe you big time man. Again, thank you.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:14 AM
New Members

[QUOTE=H F;1546347]
Originally Posted by 6825786

Sounds like its a electric valve bybass . Meaning u take the electric valve out of the loop . Basically its a straight vacume connection from the vacume pump to the muffler flap . It wiil remain open all the time , without the ecu controlled electric valve hooked up closing the muffler flapper
. Thats what I meant. I did that, and I pulled the hoses from the solenoid, and looped them. For whatever reason, that wouldn't open the valve all the way. So I opened up the little port on the housing, then put a bolt through while holding it open by hand. The result is that its fully open, and to make it stock again, all I have to do is remove the bolt, and it resumes normal functionality. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by EvilDave83; 09-01-2014 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: I did the little diy exhaust mod with the valve