E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

HUD retrofit

Old 12-04-2005, 04:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Has anyone done a HUD retrofit?

this is the last time i get a newly launched Bimmer - this "continuous improvement" concept at BMW where they never leave a model static over it's entire lifespan is causing me some anguish

what it means is: people who buy their bimmers during a later stage of the model's life get better equipment & engines - and we are not even talking about mid-life facelifts here

Old 12-04-2005, 07:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eugeneloke' post='207210' date='Dec 4 2005, 07:38 PM

this is the last time i get a newly launched Bimmer - this "continuous improvement" concept at BMW where they never leave a model static over it's entire lifespan is causing me some anguish

what it means is: people who buy their bimmers during a later stage of the model's life get better equipment & engines - and we are not even talking about mid-life facelifts here

I believe some others here have asked the same question, I think it can't be done, at least for now, it'll also require a change to the front windscreen, which in itself is pretty costly...
Old 12-04-2005, 07:19 PM
zag
Contributors

My Ride: e60 530i - SOLD!

anybody know if the 6series have HUD option?
share the anguish here too, two years on my ride is pretty jurassic already. SAT/NAV; new N52 engine; HUD; comfort access and whole host of other options readily available. feel like tossing the car!

Originally Posted by eggz' post='207264

I believe some others here have asked the same question, I think it can't be done, at least for now, it'll also require a change to the front windscreen, which in itself is pretty costly...
[/quote]

got to change to whole dash board as well meaning dismantling parts and reassemble back; the labour charge is going to be in thousands of dollar going by PML fair rate. ain't worth it!
Old 12-04-2005, 07:47 PM
Members

Location: Central California. Plenty of sunshine. Hot in Summer, but NO humidity. :)
My Ride: In the process of buying the right 2006 530i

Why would you want HUD? It does not seem all that useful to me. All of the displays are right in plain view. I don't believe HUD does all that much.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Black 520i, Black leather interior, Active Steering, DSC, PDC, Ornamental grille, Audio Aux Input

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='207271' date='Dec 4 2005, 11:47 PM
Why would you want HUD? It does not seem all that useful to me. All of the displays are right in plain view. I don't believe HUD does all that much.
sometimes we boys just love our toys
- my ride has NOTHING - and that is starting to bother me
esp when the local dealers will be putting out HUD in cars here as standard
when i just got my new car last week!
Old 12-04-2005, 09:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by zag' post='207268' date='Dec 4 2005, 10:19 PM
share the anguish here too, two years on my ride is pretty jurassic already. SAT/NAV; new N52 engine; HUD; comfort access and whole host of other options readily available. feel like tossing the car!
Yeah, 6 series does have HUD option, I believe, almost all options are the same on both 5 and 6 series.

You're telling me, I have half a mind to just sell off my car now and order a new fully loaded 530i, but.........there's this thing called the Cayman
Old 12-05-2005, 06:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by eggz' post='207304
Yeah, 6 series does have HUD option, I believe, almost all options are the same on both 5 and 6 series.

You're telling me, I have half a mind to just sell off my car now and order a new fully loaded 530i, but.........there's this thing called the Cayman
[/quote]

Hi eggz,

there's this OTHER thing called the Z4M Coupe....
Old 12-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by BMWDoug' post='207271' date='Dec 4 2005, 11:47 PM
Try it you'll like it!

Seriously, I ordered it for the gimmick/toy factor but now, after using it for over 16,000 miles, I can honestly say that I miss it on other cars.

It's just one of those things that is easy to dismiss as "useless" but once you get used to it, it becomes one of those things you have a hard time living without...

P.S. - welcome to the forums!
Old 12-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by zag' post='207268
Originally Posted by eugeneloke' post='207210' date='Dec 4 2005, 07:38 PM

got to change to whole dash board as well meaning dismantling parts and reassemble back; the labour charge is going to be in thousands of dollar going by PML fair rate. ain't worth it!
[/quote]

6 series started to get HUD with build week 48 in 2004. I waited 8 months (declined to order on 5 or 6 separate allocation occasions) until HUD was available. It is probably the single most used and useful option I have and the car is pretty well equipped. I wear trifocals and the HUD really makes my driving life easier.